Author Topic: GAO reveals USAF’s “limited oversight” led to pilot training delays  (Read 101 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
News
May 24, 2023

GAO reveals USAF’s “limited oversight” led to pilot training delays

The US Air Force continues using the 60-year-old T-38 training aircraft instead of a simulation system that has been in development for over a decades.

By John Hill

The US Government Accountability Office (GAO) has investigated the “limited oversight” the US Air Force (USAF) had over the development of its pilot training.

To train its pilots, the USAF uses the 60-year-old T-38 Talon twin-jet trainer aircraft even as new designs evolve. A new system for modern training jets and simulators is in development, but this is nearly a decade behind initial plans.

The GAO has made two recommendations to the USAF. First, the service must conduct a risk assessment that incorporates risks of overlapping development, testing, and production phases. Second, the USAF should be clear under what conditions it would accept production work completed prior to contract delivery.

The US Department of Defense (DoD) agreed with the GAO’s recommendations.

https://www.airforce-technology.com/news/gao-reveals-usafs-limited-oversight-led-to-to-pilot-training-delays/?utm_campaign=GDM%20-%20Verdict%20-%20Airforce%20Technology%20-%20Newsletter&utm_medium=email&_hsmi=72122211&_hsenc=p2ANqtz-9WPRNxjAwNwyrlZ48g02KlPldsf48Z1LXP-tyZBDSW1qHj_J_NxASu4Y7M4grf8DqhFht31kY2gc2EIifl9RZzrZin3qRi_I5WgvU9BY-0AYLP-n0&utm_content=72122211&utm_source=hs_email
« Last Edit: May 25, 2023, 02:17:37 pm by rangerrebew »
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
To think, the AF Chief of Staff, Gen. Davis, is to be the next Chairman of the Joint Chiefs!  What leadership oversight this displays! :thud:
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson