Author Topic: Sight options for Win 94 lever  (Read 2226 times)

Offline LMAO

Sight options for Win 94 lever
« on: May 24, 2023, 10:39:18 pm »
I have an old style, Winchester 94 3030 that has the top shell ejection. I’d like to start deer hunting again( I say that every year) but the scope options are not there. What do people think about those red dot sights? Would that work for this particular style rifle?

Difficult for me to shoot with the open sights
I have little interest in streamlining government or in making it more efficient, for I mean to reduce its size. I do not undertake to promote welfare, for I propose to extend freedom. My aim is not to pass laws, but to repeal them.

Barry Goldwater

http://www.usdebtclock.org

My Avatar is my adult autistic son Tommy

Offline Sighlass

• Didn't vote for McCain Dole Romney Trump !
Re: Sight options for Win 94 lever
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2023, 12:13:41 am »
I have a red dot, it does not show well in daylight and doesn't hold zero well. I now use it to tease the cat instead of on a gun. Some of the other colors (green blue) do stand out more in daylight hours... I have an scope that didn't break the bank that I would suggest looking into more than a laser ... Lot of options beyond what shows in the link below of course.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B09HR4NKMB

They do offer (I have no knowledge on how good they work) something for your gun to put a scope with it...

https://www.amazon.com/Pearsons-TacRail-Winchester-Tactical-Optics/dp/B0B84HZ493/ref=sr_1_4?crid=16B0ATQPJGCU2&keywords=Winchester+94&s=sporting-goods&sprefix=winchester+94%2Csporting%2C116&sr=1-4
« Last Edit: June 09, 2023, 12:18:25 am by Sighlass »
Exodus 18:21 Furthermore, you shall select out of all the people able men who fear God, men of truth, those who hate dishonest gain; and you shall place these over them as leaders over ....

Online roamer_1

« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2023, 02:05:05 am »
I have an old style, Winchester 94 3030 that has the top shell ejection. I’d like to start deer hunting again( I say that every year) but the scope options are not there. What do people think about those red dot sights? Would that work for this particular style rifle?

Try open with a light gathering front sight. works alright with a ladder sight too.

Online roamer_1

« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2023, 04:31:58 am »
There do appear to be scope options.

My two cents... A scope never works out in brush. I guess if you have grain fields....
But that's a brush gun up here.

Online GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2023, 05:09:47 pm »
My two cents... A scope never works out in brush. I guess if you have grain fields....
Different strokes for different folks, yes if you are shooting relatively close and in brush I agree iron sights are probably best. On the other hand if you are shooting out to distance in more open territory, and have less than the best eyesight I think a scope is very useful. While once I was eagle eyed I am migrating to mole eyed :shrug:

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2023, 05:15:46 pm »

Have you tried a ghost ring for rear sight?  You might be pleasantly surprised if you haven't.
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2023, 05:19:30 pm »
Always kind of liked a peep sight.
The Republic is lost.

Online Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2023, 05:28:12 pm »
Always kind of liked a peep sight.

A peep sight with the orifice removed is a ghost ring.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Online Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2023, 05:38:54 pm »
I'm going to throw this out there even though no one asked.

HOW you shoot is every bit as important as your sights.

I was taught how to shoot a rifle at a very young age and used that method for many years, including the years spent in military service. It served me well but some years ago a couple of friends (retired SEALS) convinced me to try their way and what a difference it makes!

The method I learned early on was to aim with one eye closed. The SEAL method requires both eyes open at all times with rifle or pistol. If you were taught as I was you will find the switch painful but you will be well rewarded in the end.

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2023, 05:40:02 pm »
A peep sight with the orifice removed is a ghost ring.

Sorry, should have specified. Some old guns used a narrow rectangular sight. I know they don't make them anymore and don't think they were common in the day.
The Republic is lost.

Online roamer_1

« Reply #11 on: June 09, 2023, 07:06:47 pm »
Different strokes for different folks, yes if you are shooting relatively close and in brush I agree iron sights are probably best. On the other hand if you are shooting out to distance in more open territory, and have less than the best eyesight I think a scope is very useful. While once I was eagle eyed I am migrating to mole eyed :shrug:

I am on that same road, friend... I do alright with open sights now that I use light-gathering front sight. I was getting to where I couldn't see the dot at the end of the barrel. Light gathering ain't quite as good, because the dot winds up bigger than the iron one, so it covers quicker.

But I'm good with a model 94 or my marlin 45/70 with that light gathering sight out to 75 yards or so... after that, the 'cover' of the  light gathering sight makes it a guess out to maybe 100 yards, but still pretty good.

Past that, I have better tools...

Online Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #12 on: June 09, 2023, 07:28:16 pm »
I am on that same road, friend... I do alright with open sights now that I use light-gathering front sight. I was getting to where I couldn't see the dot at the end of the barrel. Light gathering ain't quite as good, because the dot winds up bigger than the iron one, so it covers quicker.

But I'm good with a model 94 or my marlin 45/70 with that light gathering sight out to 75 yards or so... after that, the 'cover' of the  light gathering sight makes it a guess out to maybe 100 yards, but still pretty good.

Past that, I have better tools...

I cannot remember taking a deer in the brush beyond 50 - 75 yds. And the ones I have taken were moving. 

I use a Marlin 336 for that type of hunting. If I'm going to be hunting a stand which might present longer shots I'll select a rifle better suited to the task.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2023, 07:29:04 pm by Bigun »

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Online Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #13 on: June 09, 2023, 10:51:14 pm »

It's been nigh on 50 years, but I recall iron sights best for brush, scope is actually a hindrance because it takes a lot of time to acquire the target. One has to be extremely proficient with that rifle to overcome this...
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Online Lando Lincoln

« Reply #14 on: June 09, 2023, 11:31:50 pm »
Personally, I love an aperture sight (or peep to some).  With the long sight radius, you can be sure you are in the money if you acquire the front sight and target. Some people just can’t do it, lack the confidence, or have poor eyesight. It can be a challenge to add an aperture to the Model 94. I have one with a tang mounted aperture. It has its drawback because it can be flipped down at the worst time while you make your way through the brush. But, it provides excellent hunting accuracy.
There are some among us who live in rooms of experience we can never enter.
John Steinbeck

Online Lando Lincoln

« Reply #15 on: June 09, 2023, 11:42:26 pm »
Have you tried a ghost ring for rear sight?  You might be pleasantly surprised if you haven't.

My Dad was a staunch user of the ghost ring or aperture since as he hunted for years with a 1903 Springfield. Even as a young boy, I wanted my BB gun to be set up with one because of Dad. My eyesight is now unreliable. I’ve graduated to a scoped Browning BLR in 7mm-08 (also my Dad’s).  I added the scope.
There are some among us who live in rooms of experience we can never enter.
John Steinbeck

Online roamer_1

« Reply #16 on: June 09, 2023, 11:57:21 pm »
I'm going to throw this out there even though no one asked.

HOW you shoot is every bit as important as your sights.

I was taught how to shoot a rifle at a very young age and used that method for many years, including the years spent in military service. It served me well but some years ago a couple of friends (retired SEALS) convinced me to try their way and what a difference it makes!

The method I learned early on was to aim with one eye closed. The SEAL method requires both eyes open at all times with rifle or pistol. If you were taught as I was you will find the switch painful but you will be well rewarded in the end.

@Bigun

I tend to use one eye... And then open my other eye to see if perspective changes. If it don't then I am on target... Still close one eye again before fire. I have been told it ain't proper, but if I am driving tacks...  :shrug:

Online roamer_1

« Reply #17 on: June 10, 2023, 12:27:00 am »
I cannot remember taking a deer in the brush beyond 50 - 75 yds. And the ones I have taken were moving. 

I use a Marlin 336 for that type of hunting. If I'm going to be hunting a stand which might present longer shots I'll select a rifle better suited to the task.

@Bigun
That's right up in here too... I am a water hunter... I have done a blind in a meadow some, but I get better control knowing where the critter I am hunting goes to water, because they always seem to get on a trail to do that. Then I can park in a blind at the pinch point in that trail I choose and always get a pretty good chance. I don't care much for heads on the wall, so I generally do a head shot and drop em in their tracks... If they run at all, the adrenaline taints the meat...

So yeah... In the brush, or even in a mountain meadow, say, 50-100 yards. Very rare to have sight lines longer than that.

Now going for elk or sheep, and certainly goat, That's a different thing. There you are probably going above or at the treeline, shooting across between mountains... That's all going to be the big iron and say, longer than 400/600 yards. There I will wait for a side shot behind the shoulder...

Between those two scenarios, the window say, between 200-400 yards, I rarely get shots in that range. And I really ain't geared for it. I can function to 250 or so with a ladder sight on a lever gun... But not like I used to. And I could maybe dial a scope down that far, to cover maybe 300+, but I would probably pass on the shot, really.

Online roamer_1

« Reply #18 on: June 10, 2023, 12:32:59 am »
It's been nigh on 50 years, but I recall iron sights best for brush, scope is actually a hindrance because it takes a lot of time to acquire the target. One has to be extremely proficient with that rifle to overcome this...

My problem with a little scope, they are generally sighted to 120-150 yards... And in the brush you may be making a kinda snap shot at 50 yards, say... well with that scope at 50-75 yards, all you're gonna see is hair.  :shrug:

Online Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #19 on: June 10, 2023, 12:43:03 am »
My problem with a little scope, they are generally sighted to 120-150 yards... And in the brush you may be making a kinda snap shot at 50 yards, say... well with that scope at 50-75 yards, all you're gonna see is hair.  :shrug:

To me, the problem was target acquisition.  Took too long to get the target in the crosshairs, and it usually got away by then.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Online Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #20 on: June 10, 2023, 02:03:14 am »
@Bigun
That's right up in here too... I am a water hunter... I have done a blind in a meadow some, but I get better control knowing where the critter I am hunting goes to water, because they always seem to get on a trail to do that. Then I can park in a blind at the pinch point in that trail I choose and always get a pretty good chance. I don't care much for heads on the wall, so I generally do a head shot and drop em in their tracks... If they run at all, the adrenaline taints the meat...

So yeah... In the brush, or even in a mountain meadow, say, 50-100 yards. Very rare to have sight lines longer than that.

Now going for elk or sheep, and certainly goat, That's a different thing. There you are probably going above or at the treeline, shooting across between mountains... That's all going to be the big iron and say, longer than 400/600 yards. There I will wait for a side shot behind the shoulder...

Between those two scenarios, the window say, between 200-400 yards, I rarely get shots in that range. And I really ain't geared for it. I can function to 250 or so with a ladder sight on a lever gun... But not like I used to. And I could maybe dial a scope down that far, to cover maybe 300+, but I would probably pass on the shot, really.

In these parts water is generally available to game pretty much everywhere during hunting season so we just have to figure out what they are feeding on and which trails they are using. Otherwise it's the same unless we have enough people to set up a drive. That's where you find out what you're made of shooting wise. @roamer_1

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline LMAO

« Reply #21 on: June 10, 2023, 06:23:45 pm »
Lots of good options and thanks to all that replied. I think what will work is the one recommended by @Sighlass. It will look awkward, but it looks simple and I think that would probably suit me best.

I’ll try to find a low powered scope because any shots at deer in northern Wisconsin/northern Minnesota are rarely, if at all, past 100 yards and as I get close to 60 years old, the rear open site is getting a bit blurry
I have little interest in streamlining government or in making it more efficient, for I mean to reduce its size. I do not undertake to promote welfare, for I propose to extend freedom. My aim is not to pass laws, but to repeal them.

Barry Goldwater

http://www.usdebtclock.org

My Avatar is my adult autistic son Tommy

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #22 on: June 10, 2023, 06:38:40 pm »
Lots of good options and thanks to all that replied. I think what will work is the one recommended by @Sighlass. It will look awkward, but it looks simple and I think that would probably suit me best.

I’ll try to find a low powered scope because any shots at deer in northern Wisconsin/northern Minnesota are rarely, if at all, past 100 yards and as I get close to 60 years old, the rear open site is getting a bit blurry

I encountered fuzzy rear sights some years back, and I read about using glasses to help focus on the rear sights. The suggestions were to use 1/2 to 3/4 diopter lenses. I found this works very well for me.

Online Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #23 on: June 10, 2023, 06:43:43 pm »

My advice, forget about the damned rear sight and focus, really focus, on your front sight at all times!

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #24 on: June 10, 2023, 07:09:02 pm »
My advice, forget about the damned rear sight and focus, really focus, on your front sight at all times!

Exactly!  All my unscoped rifles have peep sights. Rear sights are just a hole you look thru. Your eye automatically centers thru the rear sight as you focus on the front sight.

There is still a benefit for an ole timer like me(70) to have shooting glasses to help focus on the "front" sight.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8zTL3crH8Ew