General Category > Shooting Sports

Sight options for Win 94 lever

<< < (5/5)

Bigun:

--- Quote from: roamer_1 on June 10, 2023, 12:27:00 am ---@Bigun
That's right up in here too... I am a water hunter... I have done a blind in a meadow some, but I get better control knowing where the critter I am hunting goes to water, because they always seem to get on a trail to do that. Then I can park in a blind at the pinch point in that trail I choose and always get a pretty good chance. I don't care much for heads on the wall, so I generally do a head shot and drop em in their tracks... If they run at all, the adrenaline taints the meat...

So yeah... In the brush, or even in a mountain meadow, say, 50-100 yards. Very rare to have sight lines longer than that.

Now going for elk or sheep, and certainly goat, That's a different thing. There you are probably going above or at the treeline, shooting across between mountains... That's all going to be the big iron and say, longer than 400/600 yards. There I will wait for a side shot behind the shoulder...

Between those two scenarios, the window say, between 200-400 yards, I rarely get shots in that range. And I really ain't geared for it. I can function to 250 or so with a ladder sight on a lever gun... But not like I used to. And I could maybe dial a scope down that far, to cover maybe 300+, but I would probably pass on the shot, really.

--- End quote ---

In these parts water is generally available to game pretty much everywhere during hunting season so we just have to figure out what they are feeding on and which trails they are using. Otherwise it's the same unless we have enough people to set up a drive. That's where you find out what you're made of shooting wise. @roamer_1

LMAO:
Lots of good options and thanks to all that replied. I think what will work is the one recommended by @Sighlass. It will look awkward, but it looks simple and I think that would probably suit me best.

I’ll try to find a low powered scope because any shots at deer in northern Wisconsin/northern Minnesota are rarely, if at all, past 100 yards and as I get close to 60 years old, the rear open site is getting a bit blurry

Elderberry:

--- Quote from: LMAO on June 10, 2023, 06:23:45 pm ---Lots of good options and thanks to all that replied. I think what will work is the one recommended by @Sighlass. It will look awkward, but it looks simple and I think that would probably suit me best.

I’ll try to find a low powered scope because any shots at deer in northern Wisconsin/northern Minnesota are rarely, if at all, past 100 yards and as I get close to 60 years old, the rear open site is getting a bit blurry

--- End quote ---

I encountered fuzzy rear sights some years back, and I read about using glasses to help focus on the rear sights. The suggestions were to use 1/2 to 3/4 diopter lenses. I found this works very well for me.

Bigun:

--- Quote from: LMAO on June 10, 2023, 06:23:45 pm ---Lots of good options and thanks to all that replied. I think what will work is the one recommended by @Sighlass. It will look awkward, but it looks simple and I think that would probably suit me best.

--- End quote ---

My advice, forget about the damned rear sight and focus, really focus, on your front sight at all times!

Elderberry:

--- Quote from: Bigun on June 10, 2023, 06:43:43 pm ---My advice, forget about the damned rear sight and focus, really focus, on your front sight at all times!

--- End quote ---

Exactly!  All my unscoped rifles have peep sights. Rear sights are just a hole you look thru. Your eye automatically centers thru the rear sight as you focus on the front sight.

There is still a benefit for an ole timer like me(70) to have shooting glasses to help focus on the "front" sight.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8zTL3crH8Ew

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version