Author Topic: GOP mega-donor urges Trump to drop out of 2024 race, backs DeSantis: It's 'time' for next generation  (Read 1367 times)

Online sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits

That explains why Trump lost in 2020 since Lambert backed him.

@Hoodat

Trump lost in 2020 because of Dim voter fraud.

Chances are he,or anyone else running against the Dim candidate in the next Presidential race will face the same process,and lose unless some changes are made.
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline LMAO

She is fully representative of her candidate.

Which is why I will ultimately make my decision on RDS based on his record, the good, the bad, and the ugly, and not what Trump or his MAGA base claim here as it’s been discredited too many times

Plus Trump has massive credibility problems to take his word on much of anything

Will I vote for DeSantis? Maybe. But I won’t be voting Trump. He and Biden are determined to bankrupt us
I have little interest in streamlining government or in making it more efficient, for I mean to reduce its size. I do not undertake to promote welfare, for I propose to extend freedom. My aim is not to pass laws, but to repeal them.

Barry Goldwater

http://www.usdebtclock.org

My Avatar is my adult autistic son Tommy

Offline DefiantMassRINO

I've known wedges of swiss cheese smarter than Ronna McDaniel.

They'll have to go through Trump and Ronna McDaniel and the rest of the GOPe.
Self-Annointed Deplorable Expert Chowderhead Pundit

I reserve my God-given rights to be wrong and to be stupid at all times.
"If at first you don’t succeed, destroy all evidence that you tried." - Steven Wright

Online bigheadfred

• One day Closer

You sure those wedges of Swiss cheese are smarter? Or is it just their holier than thou attitude?  :pondering:
She asked me name my foe then. I said the need within some men to fight and kill their brothers without thought of Love or God. Ken Hensley

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

• I'll make Mincemeat out of 'em"

I don't doubt it.  Some of them can be quite sharp.

:whistle:

Offline Kamaji

Online bigheadfred

• One day Closer
I don't doubt it.  Some of them can be quite sharp.

:whistle:

Good point.
She asked me name my foe then. I said the need within some men to fight and kill their brothers without thought of Love or God. Ken Hensley

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

• I'll make Mincemeat out of 'em"
She is fully representative of her candidate.

How to you reconcile a lot of these same people having backed Trump in 2016??  Why was it okay for Trump to take all that money, but not DeSantis?

Here's the reality -- most of that kind of PAC spending isn't done because they want to "own" the candidate.  It's done because the the people who finance those PACs already agree with the stances that candidate holds, and want them to be President.  After all, there are plenty of candidates from which they could choose, and they pick the one they like the most.  Nothing wrong with that.  Usually, there are multiple such PAC's supporting contending candidates, and it would be impossible for a candidate to pander to them all anyway.

I had to raise money once for a political issue -- it was Right to Work in my state.  So what you do is you identify people who you agree with you on that issue alread.  You then go to them, tell them the cause you're pushing, and ask if they'll support it.  Contributions -- at least for issues and people seeking an office -- come from contributors already aligned with the candidate.  Because after all, those PACs have no hold over the candidate once they are in office.  A PAC supporting DeSantis has no recourse if he gets in office and doesn't do what they asked.  So they only way it works is for them to find candidates in who they actually believe.  "Buying" and "owning" the candidate doesn't work because they can do whatever they wish after they are in office.

The real corruption generally doesn't come in until you're talking about contributions made to incumbents.  Because that's when lobbyists can wait to see how you vote on an issue before making the contribution.

Offline DB

How to you reconcile a lot of these same people having backed Trump in 2016??  Why was it okay for Trump to take all that money, but not DeSantis?

Here's the reality -- most of that kind of PAC spending isn't done because they want to "own" the candidate.  It's done because the the people who finance those PACs already agree with the stances that candidate holds, and want them to be President.  After all, there are plenty of candidates from which they could choose, and they pick the one they like the most.  Nothing wrong with that.  Usually, there are multiple such PAC's supporting contending candidates, and it would be impossible for a candidate to pander to them all anyway.

I had to raise money once for a political issue -- it was Right to Work in my state.  So what you do is you identify people who you agree with you on that issue alread.  You then go to them, tell them the cause you're pushing, and ask if they'll support it.  Contributions -- at least for issues and people seeking an office -- come from contributors already aligned with the candidate.  Because after all, those PACs have no hold over the candidate once they are in office.  A PAC supporting DeSantis has no recourse if he gets in office and doesn't do what they asked.  So they only way it works is for them to find candidates in who they actually believe.  "Buying" and "owning" the candidate doesn't work because they can do whatever they wish after they are in office.

The real corruption generally doesn't come in until you're talking about contributions made to incumbents.  Because that's when lobbyists can wait to see how you vote on an issue before making the contribution.

I don't think you understood my post. I was referring to birds of a feather.