Author Topic: Judge rules against Kari Lake, affirms Hobbs as AZ governor in election signature verification trial  (Read 3701 times)

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
AZ Central by Stacey Barchenger 5/22/2023

A Maricopa County judge has affirmed — again — Democratic Gov. Katie Hobbs' win in November and rejected Republican Kari Lake's claims that improper signature verification and misconduct affected the outcome.

The ruling comes after Maricopa County Superior Court Judge Peter Thompson heard three days of testimony and argument in his Mesa courtroom May 17-19. That proceeding, an unusual second trial in Lake's legal challenge to her November loss to Hobbs, was limited to a single claim about signature verification.

Lake's legal team argued it could prove signatures were examined in a matter of seconds, so short a timeframe it did not count as verification under state law. Thompson, in a Monday night ruling, disagreed.

"Accepting that argument would require the court to re-write not only the (Election Procedures Manual) but Arizona law to insert a minimum time for signature verification and specify the variables to be considered in the process," he wrote.

Lake has not conceded the race, which she lost by 17,117 votes, or less than 1 percentage point. Instead, she's pressed forward in court asking judges to set aside Hobbs' win, and she is likely to appeal Thompson's latest ruling.

Defense lawyers welcomed Thompson's decision following the case that, while seemingly about signature verification, often veered into larger questions about securing elections and voter trust.

"The court's ruling only confirms what we have known all along: Arizona’s elections are safe, secure, and reliable, and those who help facilitate Arizona’s elections are honest, have the highest integrity, and are committed to the preservation of our democracy," said Craig Morgan, an attorney with Sherman & Howard who represented the secretary of state. "This is a victory for Arizona, our election processes, and voters across the state."

In a statement, Maricopa County Board of Supervisors Chairman Clint Hickman, a Republican, critiqued Lake's false claims and her effort to "discard the valid votes of hundreds of thousands of Arizona voters."

More: https://www.azcentral.com/story/news/politics/arizona/2023/05/22/judge-rules-against-kari-lake-in-arizona-governor-election-trial/70244231007/

Offline bigheadfred

• One day Closer
Accepting that argument would require the court to re-write not only the (Election Procedures Manual) but Arizona law to insert a minimum time for signature verification and specify the variables to be considered in the process," he wrote.

Babbling bullsh*t.
She asked me name my foe then. I said the need within some men to fight and kill their brothers without thought of Love or God. Ken Hensley

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
Babbling bullsh*t.

It will be interesting to see what the AZ Supreme Court does now.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline Hoodat

If only someone had gone after Maricopa county for simply violating the law instead of trying to prove fraud.  We don't need a fraud verdict to have the election tossed.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Online Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
Babbling bullsh*t.
Yep!

Accepting that argument would require the court to re-write not only the (Election Procedures Manual) but Arizona law to insert a minimum time for signature verification and specify the variables to be considered in the process," he wrote.

Translation: "We can't do the right thing because we'd have to make waves and make people do their job."
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline HikerGuy83

• Still Trying
We already have the 2024 election looming and I don't see that any of this has created traction for better elections.

I have no clue where the AZ GOP is hiding.

Offline DefiantMassRINO

Offer still stands for 2024 Arizona recount(s).
Self-Annointed Deplorable Expert Chowderhead Pundit

I reserve my God-given rights to be wrong and to be stupid at all times.
"If at first you don’t succeed, destroy all evidence that you tried." - Steven Wright

Offline HikerGuy83

• Still Trying

Offer still stands for 2024 Arizona recount(s).

Who is running in 2024 ?

Do you know ?

Why would anyone run if they thought the election was "rigged". 

I like Kari Lake (a lot more than I used to).  But, she's got to get off that box.

Offline DB

Who is running in 2024 ?

Do you know ?

Why would anyone run if they thought the election was "rigged". 

I like Kari Lake (a lot more than I used to).  But, she's got to get off that box.

Her head seems to be deeply embedded in Trump's ass.

Until she fixes that, nothing else will matter regarding her political future.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
I disagree. Kari needs to keep fighting until she wins, otherwise future elections will be a waste of time, like in California.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
Cyber wrote:
"Kari needs to keep fighting until she wins, otherwise future elections will be a waste of time, like in California."

You've "fought the good fight" in AZ, Cyber.
But... Ms. Lake ain't gonna win this one.

She needs to be thinking about her next act.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
Cyber wrote:
"Kari needs to keep fighting until she wins, otherwise future elections will be a waste of time, like in California."

In that case, I'll quit the Party and will not vote ever again.
I will NOT comply.

Offline DB

I disagree. Kari needs to keep fighting until she wins, otherwise future elections will be a waste of time, like in California.

I assume that some of this has moved to the AZ supreme court. Is there any schedule regarding that?

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
I assume that some of this has moved to the AZ supreme court. Is there any schedule regarding that?

Lake has appealed the latest insult of a decision to the AZSC, and I think she's going to the Federal Court.
I will NOT comply.

Offline libertybele

You have to do what you need to do. There is no shame in that.
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
You have to do what you need to do. There is no shame in that.

I will build a drawbridge. Easy peasy now that I had to repair my broken driveway. Then I can hoist it up.  True fact.  It's good to own a Castle.
I will NOT comply.

Offline bigheadfred

• One day Closer

Easy enough. A bean bag chair, a bag of Cheetos, and reruns of Orange is the New Black and you are set.
She asked me name my foe then. I said the need within some men to fight and kill their brothers without thought of Love or God. Ken Hensley

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits

@DB

EVERYTHING is Rude Orange Man's fault,isn't it?

I bet you  dream about him.

Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits

@Cyber Liberty

Given that Slow Joe  was allegedly elected last  time,I am thinking THAT ship (future elections) has already sailed away.
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline libertybele

I will build a drawbridge. Easy peasy now that I had to repair my broken driveway. Then I can hoist it up.  True fact.  It's good to own a Castle.

Indeed. You are very fortunate!  :beer:
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
@Cyber Liberty

Given that Slow Joe  was allegedly elected last  time,I am thinking THAT ship (future elections) has already sailed away.

It's sure looking that way to me @sneakypete I spent more than 40 years trying to make a difference and failed miserably. Just don't know how to quit.
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
@Cyber Liberty

@sneakypete

That is certainly possible.
I will NOT comply.

Offline HikerGuy83

• Still Trying

While I would agree that she is to attached to Trump and that baggage will hurt her, she's got more smarts (and I mean that) and charisma than anything that dems have to offer .  As soon as the McStainers wake up, she'll start going places (and she might even without them).

But she needs to keep pushing for good elections.  Using the words "rigged" or "stolen" instanly kill credibility. 

Offline HikerGuy83

• Still Trying
Cyber wrote:

Winning is more than just "winning".

And as the dems continue to show that they don't have much to offer....she's on deck ready for her time.

Offline HikerGuy83

• Still Trying
It's sure looking that way to me @sneakypete I spent more than 40 years trying to make a difference and failed miserably. Just don't know how to quit.

So don't.