Author Topic: Russia is so low on armor it’s putting artillery and naval guns on old vehicles  (Read 115 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Russia is so low on armor it’s putting artillery and naval guns on old vehicles
Adapt. Improvise. Put a massive cannon on a 1950s-era tank.

BY NICHOLAS SLAYTON | PUBLISHED MAY 21, 2023 2:14 PM EDT

When the war in Ukraine started, Ukrainian defenders found themselves converting civilian cars and other commercial items into weapons of war. These technicals, battle buggies and modified drones helped the initially outgunned forces repel assaults on Kyiv and central Ukraine. Now well into the second year of the war and Russia is now also utilizing its own Frankenstein’s Monster-type weapons platforms.

Take, for instance, this T-55 tank fitted with a 57mm S-60 cannon.

Or this naval gun put onto an armored vehicle.

As Motherboard pointed out, these kinds of cobbled together artillery and armor pieces are becoming common on the battlefield. Old armored vehicles and tanks have been fitted with newer guns taken from artillery systems or ships, giving the outdated armor pieces some more modern firepower.

https://taskandpurpose.com/news/russia-frankenstein-tanks-naval-guns/
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
The US needs to get a bunch of artillery on Russia's border somewhere ASAP and then withdraw and let the Ruskies "capture" it.  Our "modern" military has a lot of experience at that. :whistle:
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson