Author Topic: Logging in to AOL and other web accounts  (Read 1228 times)

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
Logging in to AOL and other web accounts
« on: May 23, 2023, 01:09:29 pm »
Am I the only one that has trouble logging in to AOL,Amazon,and other web sites,and has to change my freaking passwords at least once every 3 or 4 days?

And it doesn't do any  good to change it so you can log in and then go to the customer service link to ask WTF happened because they are all robots now,NOT humans. They do offer problems you can choose,but NONE of them are problems logging in,other than to tell you to create a new password.

This pisses me off to the point I would probably be arrested if I could get my hands around the throats of the corporate shitheads that created these problems to save money by not hiring humans to answer questions.

And,of course,I suspect these problems were created because they turned their software programs over to the Chinese to manage. You can NOT create an actual human contact with Amazon or AOL anymore.

Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
Re: Logging in to AOL and other web accounts
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2023, 05:49:40 am »
Am I the only one that has trouble logging in to AOL,Amazon,and other web sites,and has to change my freaking passwords at least once every 3 or 4 days?

And it doesn't do any  good to change it so you can log in and then go to the customer service link to ask WTF happened because they are all robots now,NOT humans. They do offer problems you can choose,but NONE of them are problems logging in,other than to tell you to create a new password.

This pisses me off to the point I would probably be arrested if I could get my hands around the throats of the corporate shitheads that created these problems to save money by not hiring humans to answer questions.

And,of course,I suspect these problems were created because they turned their software programs over to the Chinese to manage. You can NOT create an actual human contact with Amazon or AOL anymore.
I thought I was the only guy who had trouble with always having to talk to a human to sort that stuff out because their FAQ page just doesn't tell me what I need to know. That seems to happen everywhere from government websites to commercial ones.

Maybe that's why i spend so much time online here, because I don't usually have any problems here.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2023, 05:38:47 am »
I thought I was the only guy who had trouble with always having to talk to a human to sort that stuff out because their FAQ page just doesn't tell me what I need to know. That seems to happen everywhere from government websites to commercial ones.

Maybe that's why i spend so much time online here, because I don't usually have any problems here.

@Smokin Joe

While it is true that I wish you no harm,it IS good to know I am not the only one having these problems.

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2023, 06:20:00 am »
@Smokin Joe

While it is true that I wish you no harm,it IS good to know I am not the only one having these problems.
I just wish they'd lead off with "If you have heard all these options and need to speak to a human, press one."
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2023, 06:29:29 am »
I just wish they'd lead off with "If you have heard all these options and need to speak to a human, press one."

@Smokin Joe

That would require hiring a human,and even Chinese humans like to get paid.

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2023, 05:25:25 pm »
Here's the problem I'm having with logging onto a site:  I have a Hotmail account (Microsoft Outlook) that I regularly access on my laptop, Samsung tablet and LG smartphone. I stay logged in at all times.

Out of the blue, on the tablet, I got the message that I had to log into the email account. When I tried to do so, it told me the password was wrong. I ended up changing my password for the account, and logged in with the new pw on the laptop and the tablet. The phone, as far as I could tell, stayed logged into Hotmail for a couple of days before it also gave me the message to log in. So I tried logging in with the new password I had just created - and it won't work. The phone won't accept the new pw nor the old one, so I can't check email on the phone. Does this make sense to anyone?
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2023, 05:53:40 pm »
Here's the problem I'm having with logging onto a site:  I have a Hotmail account (Microsoft Outlook) that I regularly access on my laptop, Samsung tablet and LG smartphone. I stay logged in at all times.

Out of the blue, on the tablet, I got the message that I had to log into the email account. When I tried to do so, it told me the password was wrong. I ended up changing my password for the account, and logged in with the new pw on the laptop and the tablet. The phone, as far as I could tell, stayed logged into Hotmail for a couple of days before it also gave me the message to log in. So I tried logging in with the new password I had just created - and it won't work. The phone won't accept the new pw nor the old one, so I can't check email on the phone. Does this make sense to anyone?

This happened to me months ago...I just thought it was an Iphone glitch...I could access my mail on my computer but not my phone...what I did was remove the ap from my phone and then re-install it and log in with my new pw...it's worked for me...
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2023, 08:31:54 pm »
This happened to me months ago...I just thought it was an Iphone glitch...I could access my mail on my computer but not my phone...what I did was remove the ap from my phone and then re-install it and log in with my new pw...it's worked for me...
Thanks - I'll try that, assuming I can figure it out.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Online roamer_1

« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2023, 09:19:57 pm »
I quite worrying about passwords... I know, that sounds weird, but since I started using computer generated passwords that nobody in their right mind could remember, and started relying upon Firefox to remember my passwords, I seldom get asked for a password change.

I think that is because all the passwords for all the sites are different, and all the passwords meet whatever demands each site requires... So when the site changes policy to require, say, one cap and one number, where it didn't before, my computer generated password is already so complicated that it already meets the new demand, so the password passes through the change in requirement without a hitch.

The only passwords that I use now that are human are my Windows login, my network login, and the access logins for my email (which is also the login into the various platforms ... Microsoft, Google, Yahoo, etc.) And my login into Firefox... Everything else is a throw-away, computer generated password.

I have run into sites that I could no longer access, but a quick trip through 'I forgot my password' fixes it up again, being sure that Firefox logs the change.

Important sites always have a secondary form of ID, normally a txt to phone, as a secondary safety measure, which also helps during a SNAFU... since the phone is already registered, it seems more compliant sending authority to the phone.

Otherwise, the only kludge, backing up the passwords in Firefox. So far,  do that by syncing the passwords into Google Chrome periodically... but I need some other means.