General Category > General Discussion

Pile of dumped clothing so massive it can now be seen clearly from space

(1/2) > >>

Kamaji:
Fast fashion has spawned a mountain of leftover clothes in the Chilean desert that's so massive it can now be seen clearly from space

By Matthew Loh
May 23, 2023

* A gigantic heap of unused clothes in Chile is so big that a satellite can easily spot it.

* High resolution images of the clothing dump was posted on May 10 by satellite photo app SkyFi.

* Much of the landfill contains clothes that couldn't sell in stores in the US, Europe, and Asia.

A giant dump of unused fast fashion clothing in Chile's Atacama Desert is now clearly visible to satellites.

The still-growing mountain of discarded or unworn clothes — manufactured in Bangladesh or China and sent to retail stores in the US, Europe, and Asia — are brought to Chile when they aren't sold, according to Agence France-Presse.

At least 39,000 tons of those clothes accumulate in landfills in the Atacama Desert, the outlet found in 2021.

On May 10, a high-resolution satellite photo of the discarded clothes was posted in a blog by SkyFi, the developers of a satellite photo and video app.

Source:  https://www.yahoo.com/news/fast-fashion-spawned-mountain-leftover-042331031.html

Timber Rattler:
That's a disgrace that these companies dump those brand new unsold clothes in the Chilean desert instead of giving them away to the homeless and needy.  I despise waste, especially of this magnitude, where EVERYTHING is treated as being disposable.

Gefn:
I never heard of fast  fashion before but I’ve just spent some time on Google learning about it.

Totally amazed by the number of stores that use it and what it is.

And I also think this is why so many even upscale clothing stores quality have gone down the toilet in the last few years. I’ve noticed my shirts don’t last years like they use to and shrink if you put them in the dryer.

Timber Rattler:

--- Quote from: Gefn on May 23, 2023, 11:59:30 am ---I never heard of fast  fashion before but I’ve just spent some time on Google learning about it.

Totally amazed by the number of stores that use it and what it is.

And I also think this is why so many even upscale clothing stores quality have gone down the toilet in the last few years. I’ve noticed my shirts don’t last years like they use to and shrink if you put them in the dryer.

--- End quote ---

It's pretty much planned obsolescence now spread to the fashion industry.

Free Vulcan:
Ever notice how in our new green world, whether it's cheap clothes, solar cells, appliances, and all the other throwaway this or that, that in the end there's just a whole bunch of crap ending up in landfills at a greater rate than say 100 years ago when most things were built to last, taken care of, and repairable?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version