Author Topic: Pile of dumped clothing so massive it can now be seen clearly from space  (Read 507 times)

Offline Kamaji

Fast fashion has spawned a mountain of leftover clothes in the Chilean desert that's so massive it can now be seen clearly from space

By Matthew Loh
May 23, 2023

* A gigantic heap of unused clothes in Chile is so big that a satellite can easily spot it.

* High resolution images of the clothing dump was posted on May 10 by satellite photo app SkyFi.

* Much of the landfill contains clothes that couldn't sell in stores in the US, Europe, and Asia.

A giant dump of unused fast fashion clothing in Chile's Atacama Desert is now clearly visible to satellites.

The still-growing mountain of discarded or unworn clothes — manufactured in Bangladesh or China and sent to retail stores in the US, Europe, and Asia — are brought to Chile when they aren't sold, according to Agence France-Presse.

At least 39,000 tons of those clothes accumulate in landfills in the Atacama Desert, the outlet found in 2021.

On May 10, a high-resolution satellite photo of the discarded clothes was posted in a blog by SkyFi, the developers of a satellite photo and video app.

Source:  https://www.yahoo.com/news/fast-fashion-spawned-mountain-leftover-042331031.html

Online Timber Rattler

• Conservative Purist and Patriot
That's a disgrace that these companies dump those brand new unsold clothes in the Chilean desert instead of giving them away to the homeless and needy.  I despise waste, especially of this magnitude, where EVERYTHING is treated as being disposable.
aka "nasty degenerate SOB," "worst of the worst at Free Republic," "Garbage Troll," "Neocon Warmonger," "Filthy Piece of Trash," "damn $#%$#@!," "Silly f'er," "POS," "war pig," "neocon scumbag," "insignificant little ankle nipper," "@ss-clown," "neocuck," "termite," "Uniparty Deep stater," "Never Trump sack of dog feces," "avid Bidenista," "filthy Ukrainian," "war whore," "fricking chump," psychopathic POS, and depraved SOB.

"In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act."  ---George Orwell

"If you want peace, prepare for war." ---Flavius Vegetius Renatus

Offline Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
I never heard of fast  fashion before but I’ve just spent some time on Google learning about it.

Totally amazed by the number of stores that use it and what it is.

And I also think this is why so many even upscale clothing stores quality have gone down the toilet in the last few years. I’ve noticed my shirts don’t last years like they use to and shrink if you put them in the dryer.
G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️

Online Timber Rattler

I never heard of fast  fashion before but I’ve just spent some time on Google learning about it.

Totally amazed by the number of stores that use it and what it is.

And I also think this is why so many even upscale clothing stores quality have gone down the toilet in the last few years. I’ve noticed my shirts don’t last years like they use to and shrink if you put them in the dryer.

It's pretty much planned obsolescence now spread to the fashion industry.
aka "nasty degenerate SOB," "worst of the worst at Free Republic," "Garbage Troll," "Neocon Warmonger," "Filthy Piece of Trash," "damn $#%$#@!," "Silly f'er," "POS," "war pig," "neocon scumbag," "insignificant little ankle nipper," "@ss-clown," "neocuck," "termite," "Uniparty Deep stater," "Never Trump sack of dog feces," "avid Bidenista," "filthy Ukrainian," "war whore," "fricking chump," psychopathic POS, and depraved SOB.

"In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act."  ---George Orwell

Online Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
Ever notice how in our new green world, whether it's cheap clothes, solar cells, appliances, and all the other throwaway this or that, that in the end there's just a whole bunch of crap ending up in landfills at a greater rate than say 100 years ago when most things were built to last, taken care of, and repairable?
The Republic is lost.

Online Timber Rattler

Ever notice how in our new green world, whether it's cheap clothes, solar cells, appliances, and all the other throwaway this or that, that in the end there's just a whole bunch of crap ending up in landfills at a greater rate than say 100 years ago when most things were built to last, taken care of, and repairable?

Yep.  That's exactly right!  Case in point...basic appliances!  None are meant to be maintained or repaired any more, with parts nearly non-existent or exorbitantly expensive, with basic designs changing every danged year so that NOTHING is compatible.  The suppliers want to you to buy brand new ones every 3-5 years when something finally breaks but can't be fixed.

Having run through several washers, dryers, water heaters, etc., this is a real sore spot for me.

Online andy58-in-nh

I found it on Google Earth, around: 20°14'03'' S  70°05'21" W.

The current image (12/22) shows it's been cleaned up, but go back and look at historical imagery from late 2021 and early 2022 and you'll see a pretty impressive pile of laundry.
"The most terrifying force of death, comes from the hands of Men who wanted to be left Alone. They try, so very hard, to mind their own business and provide for themselves and those they love. They resist every impulse to fight back, knowing the forced and permanent change of life that will come from it. They know, that the moment they fight back, their lives as they have lived them, are over. -Alexander Solzhenitsyn

Offline Kamaji

That's a disgrace that these companies dump those brand new unsold clothes in the Chilean desert instead of giving them away to the homeless and needy.  I despise waste, especially of this magnitude, where EVERYTHING is treated as being disposable.

Exactly.