Poll

Do you use Close Captioning when you watch TV?

Only on Foreign Films
3 (13%)
I don't have a soundbar, so sometimes
3 (13%)
Always, the noise distracts me
9 (39.1%)
Just Commercials (stoner option)
1 (4.3%)
Another BS poll from corbe
3 (13%)
Never
4 (17.4%)

Total Members Voted: 20

Voting closed: July 24, 2023, 11:30:24 pm

Author Topic: Do you use Close Captioning when you watch TV?  (Read 3149 times)

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
Re: Do you use Close Captioning when you watch TV?
« Reply #25 on: June 11, 2023, 01:59:06 pm »
Don'tcha just love how people always seem to stand on the wrong side when they want to talk to you?

:yowsa: My wife goes out of her way to make sure I'm sitting in the right place if we are with friends.
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #26 on: June 11, 2023, 04:09:36 pm »
:yowsa: My wife goes out of her way to make sure I'm sitting in the right place if we are with friends.

I am at the stage where hearing aids don't help much and I tell people to look at me when they are talking to me. so I can fill in what I don't hear with lip reading.

I can hear fairly well, but the Tinnitus makes it hard to understand the soft speakers. Videos are almost impossible.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #27 on: June 11, 2023, 04:16:47 pm »
I am at the stage where hearing aids don't help much and I tell people to look at me when they are talking to me. so I can fill in what I don't hear with lip reading.

I can hear fairly well, but the Tinnitus makes it hard to understand the soft speakers. Videos are almost impossible.

I can handle videos by using an ear bud or headset, but I don't have Tinnitus.

Crowds are impossible for me.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
« Reply #28 on: June 11, 2023, 04:42:37 pm »

I have Tinnitus and profound hearing loss and even the noise of moderate gathering of family can overwhelm me and make me very aggravated so that I have to leave the room or area. I have hearing aids but no matter how I try to tune them all they seem to do is amplify everything and make it worse :shrug:

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #29 on: June 11, 2023, 04:46:23 pm »
I have Tinnitus and profound hearing loss and even the noise of moderate gathering of family can overwhelm me and make me very aggravated so that I have to leave the room or area. I have hearing aids but no matter how I try to tune them all they seem to do is amplify everything and make it worse :shrug:

@GtHawk

That is why I threw mine away years ago.

THINKING about checking out some new ones,though. The ones I got came from the VA,so you know  they were the cheapest ones available.

I now need them a lot more than I needed them before,so I might try getting a pair from a commercial source.
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #30 on: June 11, 2023, 04:48:08 pm »

Yeah! I get that! Boy! Do I ever get that!

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Online bigheadfred

• One day Closer
« Reply #31 on: June 11, 2023, 04:50:03 pm »
I don't use close captioning. It doesn't have a Braille edition.
She asked me name my foe then. I said the need within some men to fight and kill their brothers without thought of Love or God. Ken Hensley

Online roamer_1

« Reply #32 on: June 11, 2023, 06:05:20 pm »

@Bigun
I kinda have that crowd thing... Talking to someone in a crowd... I think I can hear them fine. I think my brain is having trouble with interpretation against all the background. I get tinnitus off and on again. Can't hear high stuff so well... Too much time around machinery and guns.

But that has it's benefits. I can't hear a naggin woman. at all... God may have some planning in that  :laugh:

I'll tell you what though... I didn't know how much I rely on lip reading and facial expression for interpretation purposes until this whole mask thing. I find it really difficult to understand someone in a mask.

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #33 on: June 11, 2023, 06:09:35 pm »
@Bigun
I kinda have that crowd thing... Talking to someone in a crowd... I think I can hear them fine. I think my brain is having trouble with interpretation against all the background. I get tinnitus off and on again. Can't hear high stuff so well... Too much time around machinery and guns.

But that has it's benefits. I can't hear a naggin woman. at all... God may have some planning in that  :laugh:

I'll tell you what though... I didn't know how much I rely on lip reading and facial expression for interpretation purposes until this whole mask thing. I find it really difficult to understand someone in a mask.

:yowsa: To ALL of that!

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Lando Lincoln

« Reply #34 on: June 11, 2023, 07:37:39 pm »
@Bigun

True for me as well. The masks clipped the frequencies where I’m most challenged. So difficult.

The best hearing centers I have visited are at Costco.  I’ve been to several and they are outstanding.

Can anyone recommend a telephone landline handset that provides clarity?  We still have ours and I hate it.
There are some among us who live in rooms of experience we can never enter.
John Steinbeck

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #35 on: June 11, 2023, 08:40:03 pm »
True for me as well. The masks clipped the frequencies where I’m most challenged. So difficult.

The best hearing centers I have visited are at Costco.  I’ve been to several and they are outstanding.

Can anyone recommend a telephone landline handset that provides clarity?  We still have ours and I hate it.

@Lando Lincoln

I never knew I had been lip-reading until everybody started wearing masks,and I had no idea what  they were talking  about. All I could hear was noise,not words.
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Online roamer_1

« Reply #36 on: June 11, 2023, 09:23:20 pm »

There's a thing... I don't know and can't recommend... But higher end earbuds are developing a pass-through sound feature, which is basically for being able to hear ambient sound THROUGH the earbuds, with vol control and mixing... So you can say, be listening to music walking down a sidewalk and still be aware of things around you.

I don't know how any of it works at all, but for folks that have hearing issues close to needing aids, maybe that's a cheap hearing aid, or enough assistance that the real thing might be pushed off a while.

Like I said, I don't know nothin.

I don't have a recommendation but I DO have a feature recommendation: My Landline phones are wireless, and I always look for a earphone jack on the handset so I can plug in wired earbuds.

Best headset phone I ever had was Plantronix... Superfine... But it's a business phone and always spendy. And it was long ago... It had a tiny handset that clipped to my belt and a dedicated wired headset that came up from that. Always gave superior sound and control.

Online roamer_1

« Reply #37 on: June 11, 2023, 09:29:07 pm »
@Lando Lincoln

I never knew I had been lip-reading until everybody started wearing masks,and I had no idea what  they were talking  about. All I could hear was noise,not words.

I know, right? It's weird.

Offline Polly Ticks

« Reply #38 on: June 12, 2023, 01:12:23 pm »
Don'tcha just love how people always seem to stand on the wrong side when they want to talk to you?

Yes!  It drives me crazy.

Having said that, in certain social situations I will sometimes put my husband on the wrong side, since he's aware of the issue, and put other folks on my "good" ear to give me a better chance of actually understanding them.  And if I don't, my husband will generally either translate for me or answer them himself ... which I greatly appreciate.

Of course, that's in social settings.  At home, he mumbles.  Or tries to talk to me from another room.  Or says something to me with his back turned, his hand over his mouth, or as he's walking away.   :shrug:

Hearing loss is NO fun.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2023, 01:14:06 pm by Polly Ticks »
Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too. -Yogi Berra

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #39 on: June 12, 2023, 02:28:50 pm »

Having said that, in certain social situations I will sometimes put my husband on the wrong side, since he's aware of the issue, and put other folks on my "good" ear to give me a better chance of actually understanding them.  And if I don't, my husband will generally either translate for me or answer them himself ... which I greatly appreciate.

Of course, that's in social settings.  At home, he mumbles.  Or tries to talk to me from another room.  Or says something to me with his back turned, his hand over his mouth, or as he's walking away.   :shrug:

Hearing loss is NO fun.

My wife and I have been married for a very long time, (55 yrs) but the hearing loss thing is testing the limits.  I'll just leave it right there.

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
« Reply #40 on: June 12, 2023, 02:31:36 pm »
My wife and I have been married for a very long time, (55 yrs) but the hearing loss thing is testing the limits.  I'll just leave it right there.

Have you looked into cochlear implants?

Offline Polly Ticks

« Reply #41 on: June 12, 2023, 02:37:11 pm »

I was diagnosed with my disease and had the first of my ear surgeries in my late 20's.  I'm quite bit older than that now and we're still married, so I'm sure you'll make it, too!   :laugh:
Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too. -Yogi Berra

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #42 on: June 12, 2023, 02:38:56 pm »
Have you looked into cochlear implants?

I have no auditory nerve behind my right ear due to it having been surgically removed along with the tumor that was growing from it so no possibility of implant. My left ear still functions with the hearing aid but that is only good if I'm pointed in the right direction.  I seriously doubt an implant would improve the situation.

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #43 on: June 12, 2023, 02:41:11 pm »
I was diagnosed with my disease and had the first of my ear surgeries in my late 20's.  I'm quite bit older than that now and we're still married, so I'm sure you'll make it, too!   :laugh:

:yowsa: She is a fine lady but even those get tested sometimes. We are good!

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Kamaji

« Reply #44 on: June 12, 2023, 02:41:58 pm »
I have no auditory nerve behind my right ear due to it having been surgically removed along with the tumor that was growing from it so no possibility of implant. My left ear still functions with the hearing aid but that is only good if I'm pointed in the right direction.  I seriously doubt an implant would improve the situation.

Have you tried the cross-over hearing aids?

Offline GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
« Reply #45 on: June 12, 2023, 02:44:50 pm »

Hearing loss is NO fun.
I have had hearing issues for decades with constant degradation right side effectively zero, my wife is having A-fib issues so can't drive, which puts her on my right side. Well she puts the music sound up and then talks to me in a normal conversational level...and then she gets frustrated when I can't hear her :shrug: I also get the same with with back turned or so low it comes across as a mumble. What was really frustrating was that for years  she would say I was just making up the hearing issue because I was ignoring what she said.........................maybe :whistle:

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #46 on: June 12, 2023, 02:48:06 pm »
Have you tried the cross-over hearing aids?

Yes! And I can tell you that they are not what they're cracked up to be at present, but the technology IS evolving.

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #47 on: June 12, 2023, 02:53:06 pm »
I have had hearing issues for decades with constant degradation right side effectively zero, my wife is having A-fib issues so can't drive, which puts her on my right side. Well she puts the music sound up and then talks to me in a normal conversational level...and then she gets frustrated when I can't hear her :shrug: I also get the same with with back turned or so low it comes across as a mumble. What was really frustrating was that for years  she would say I was just making up the hearing issue because I was ignoring what she said.........................maybe :whistle:

If you haven't done so already, you need to go and see an ENT to make sure you don't have the same issue I did on my right side (Vestibular Schwannoma) @GtHawk Had I not done that 5 years ago I would not be here today.

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Kamaji

« Reply #48 on: June 12, 2023, 03:17:09 pm »
Yes! And I can tell you that they are not what they're cracked up to be at present, but the technology IS evolving.

Fair enough.  I have a family member who used them and liked them; it's my understanding that it's an intensely personal thing, though.