Author Topic: Homelessness Isn't an Unfixable Problem  (Read 390 times)

Offline Kamaji

Homelessness Isn't an Unfixable Problem
« on: May 22, 2023, 04:28:26 pm »
Homelessness Isn't an Unfixable Problem

Start by looking at the government policies that have made it worse.

STEVEN GREENHUT

California is home to nearly one-third of the nation's homeless population and the problem—by almost everyone's account—continues to worsen. The statistics tell part of the story: More than 170,000 people sleep in tents in public parks, under freeway bridges and on sidewalks in our cities and suburbs. The state has spent $20 billion to address the problem in five years.

The anecdotes are even more telling, given that the common, appalling street scenes cause businesses to shutter and discourage people from visiting downtowns or using public transit. I was chatting on my cellphone on a Sacramento street when a homeless man started screaming in my face. It doesn't take many incidents like that to harden our attitudes.

Liberal Democrats, who typically run big-city governments, have understandably been reluctant to embrace enforcement-centric policies. That's changing as scared and angry residents speak out. Gov. Gavin Newsom announced efforts to clear out 1,200 homeless encampments. Officials in San Francisco even unleashed the National Guard to tamp down open-air drug markets.

The head of Orange County's Rescue Mission has told me that the vast majority of people the nonprofit assists self-identify as having a mental health or addiction issue. Yet homeless activists and political commentators push the fiction that homelessness is primarily a housing issue—and advocate their usual litany of solutions: rent controls, eviction moratoria, and additional spending on subsidized apartments.

They make the problem sound easy to fix. As a headline in the Jesuit magazine, America, noted: "Homelessness is only getting worse, but we know the solution: a right to housing." Declaring new rights doesn't solve anything, of course, and only will make matters worse.

Depriving property owners of the ability to evict non-paying tenants and imposing rent controls demonstrably discourages housing investment—and leads to further shortages. In reality, homelessness is a mental health and social issue that's exacerbated by our state's inordinately high cost of housing.

The overwhelming nature of the problem, poor public policies, and aggravating debates lead many people to basically throw in the towel. But that might not be necessary. I recently moderated a homelessness panel in downtown Sacramento, where attendees watched a short movie that compared San Francisco's intractable problems with those in San Antonio. There are no easy buttons, but the documentary, "Beyond Homeless," did offer a thoughtful blueprint.

Essentially, the Texas city built a lovely campus in an industrial area not far from downtown. It offers dormitories, a cafeteria, clean restrooms, and a panoply of social services. It's run by a nonprofit organization. According to the filmmakers, San Antonio's downtown unsheltered homeless population dropped by 80 percent. The program has moved 6,000 people into permanent housing.

Source:  https://reason.com/2023/05/19/homelessness-isnt-an-unfixable-problem/

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
Re: Homelessness Isn't an Unfixable Problem
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2023, 10:43:18 pm »
"Are there no prisons? Are there no workhouses?"

If not, time to build some.
Or... build more of them.

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2023, 08:21:17 pm »
🇺🇸Travis🇺🇸
@Travis_in_Flint
SHOCKING:  One third of all homeless people in the United States are in California, with the numbers increasing drastically over the last few years while Gavin Newsom is busy criticizing Ron Desantis. 

A study by the University of California San Francisco released the report which also disproved a lot of myths.  9/10 of the homeless are Californians who had stable residence in California before becoming homeless. 

High cost of living and bad policies was found to be the number one reason causing this.  70% of the homeless wouldn’t have lost their home with a monthly assistance of $300-$500, but the California Legislature was busy approving $300 weekly checks for illegals. 

Newsom is a horrible Governor and would be an even worse President
12:20 PM · Jun 22, 2023
The posted article leads with this statistic, which is just stunning. What a monumental failure on Newsom's part.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline DB

« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2023, 09:21:18 pm »
The posted article leads with this statistic, which is just stunning. What a monumental failure on Newsom's part.

Nice weather, lots of government provided free stuff including free needles and you can steal whatever catches your eye without fear of consequences. A gypsy's paradise...

They built it and they came... Who would have guessed...

The other 49 states thank them...

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2023, 09:27:44 pm »
It kinda is.
The Republic is lost.

Offline libertybele

« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2023, 09:32:40 pm »
It kinda is.

There will always be those that are homeless; but that numbers can be reduced.  Try to get them the help that they need.  Not all are drug addicts or mentally ill. Some have just fallen on hard times with no place or no one to turn to.
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline berdie

« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2023, 10:03:08 pm »
There will always be those that are homeless; but that numbers can be reduced.  Try to get them the help that they need.  Not all are drug addicts or mentally ill. Some have just fallen on hard times with no place or no one to turn to.

I totally agree. There are people that have by circumstance ended up homeless. I read an article not long ago about homeless people trying to get jobs. No way to shower and clean up, no address to give a prospective employer. Living at the corner of "Walk and Don't Walk" after taking a bird bath at the local gas station bathroom isn't a good look. Those folks need, and would mostly accept help.

Some others really like the life. Myself...I'd be scared out of my mind. But the lack of responsibility and freedom is very appealing to a lot of people. Then add in the mentally ill population. :shrug:

I had a bil that chose that life due to alcoholism. He was happy as a lark. My mil used to send him clothes (delivered by me). He was the best dressed homeless person in the city, lol.

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2023, 10:40:46 pm »
Vulcan fulminates:
"It kinda is."

Yes, of course you're right. This is a problem that is NOT going away, and will become considerably worse.

Remember Will Rogers' advice about buying land?

As the population on the North American continent soars ever-upward, so will the price of housing -- at least single-family homes -- creep upwards to the point of being unaffordable for many. Supply and demand.

Even cramped apartments will become unaffordable to many (at least those still willing to work for the pleasure of living in such confinement).

And as the increasingly-decadent drug culture grows, there will just be more and more and more and more of those mentally ill or marginally intelligent, zonked out with not much chance of upward-mobility left to them. Except a slightly better favilla.

To make matters worse, look at what's pouring across the borders in "The Great Replacement". With nothing to stop them. Two million a year, this year, next year, the year after that... forever.

But tell me again, please, repeat the refrain:
"Growth is good".

It sure is.
So long as it's somewhere else not near you.

As for the legions of homeless in California -- fine with me.
That's the paradise they voted for.
Let 'em have it!