Author Topic: Paper Or Plastic? The Fanatics Tell Us We Can’t Have Either  (Read 819 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
WRITTEN BY I&I EDITORIAL BOARD ON MAY 18, 2023. POSTED IN LATEST NEWS

Paper Or Plastic? The Fanatics Tell Us We Can’t Have Either

logging timberThe Biden administration and the Democratic regime that rules California and other states are so busy banning things that it’s hard to keep up with what’s allowed, what isn’t, and what won’t be tomorrow or next year.

Much of the blacklist is made up of high-profile targets, such as gasoline-powered automobiles, diesel engines, gas stoves, and plastic straws. [emphasis, links added]

But the prohibitionists work in small ways too, and it all adds up.

Scolds and eco-temperance harpies never rest, their eyes always on the lookout for another modern convenience to outlaw.

https://climatechangedispatch.com/paper-or-plastic-the-fanatics-tell-us-we-cant-have-either/
Would you be willing to fight and die for multiculturalism?  Would you put your life on the line for “Diversity, Inclusion, and Equity” (DIE); “Environmental, Social, and corporate Governance” (ESG); or other Marxist worldviews?  Would you go to war to preserve the right of delusional men to use women’s restrooms and dominate women’s sports?  Would you fight for any government that hunts down and imprisons J6 protesters as political hostages but celebrates Antifa and Black Lives Matter rioters who cause physical injury and property damage?

J.B. Shurk

Offline Kamaji

Re: Paper Or Plastic? The Fanatics Tell Us We Can’t Have Either
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2023, 11:51:18 am »
Meanwhile, the organic faves of most libs are increasingly packaged in plastic.

Time was, when one went to the grocery store to get spinach, one would pick up a couple of bunches that were tied together with a metal twist-tie, or perhaps a rubber band.

Now, however, one goes to get spinach, and its boxed up in a big plastic box.

But hey, at least one cannot get a plastic shopping bag to carry that plastic box of spinach home anymore, and at least in NY, one technically has to pay 10 cents per paper bag now.  I say "technically" because, if one uses the self-checkout, one simply does not pay for the paper bags one uses.

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2023, 09:54:46 pm »
At the Walmart I go to, they've discontinued ALL shopping bags -- except for fancy "fabric" ones you can buy for several dollars apiece.

No paper.
No plastic.

You have to bring your own bags, or boxes, to carry stuff off in.

Online roamer_1

« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2023, 10:37:55 pm »
Quote from: the article
Having successfully interdicted single-use plastic bags in at least eight states, they’re now aiming for their only reasonable replacements: paper bags.

Paper can’t be a solution to plastic waste,” says the headline of a recent story posted on Canada’s CTV News site.

Well that's a damn lie. Paper used to be the solution before plastic. There's a million and a half acres of forest burning down right now in Alberta, a half million acres of forest a year burns in MT alone...
That is all resource going up in smoke.

Various “experts,” “researchers” and activists screech and nag about “deforestation and forest degradation,” “increased pressure on the world’s forests” (caused by the plastic bag bans they have demanded), and “a really critical moment” in which “we need to take steps to keep forests standing.”

Another several damnable lies - First of all, paper products are not made from 'old growth forests'.
Mostly, old growth forests are bullcrap. Yes, they do exist, but they are more rare than you think.

I have been where logging has never been. Where there are no roads and the forest is as untouched as before the steam engine, when horse logging barely made a dent. And by far and away, the forest burns. Trees that make it to old age are more a fluke than the norm, remaining more because they are protected by draft and other obstacles to fire than because of anything man has done.

One insisted that consumers have to “rethink and reorient themselves towards a reusable mind frame.”

This much IS true - I have been lamenting the disappearance of the humble tote sack forever. And the decimated canning jar - But the burlap sack was ubiquitous because it was used for packaging, and reused over and over again because it was useful and free (because it was mere packaging). To buy it with purpose is expensive.

The same with the canning jar. When companies went to plastic cans, those 'free' jars that took a canning lid and ring went away... I remember saving mayo and pickle jars because they worked for canning. Anything that we canned in a stock pot was canned using these jars, saving the actual Mason and Kerr jars for the pressure cooker jobs.

The same with the lowly bushel basket - It was the crate they came in. And it was reused because it was ubiquitous and all around... When the bushel went away, it was still alright, because the stackable wooden crates that replaced them did many jobs past their first use... But now that's all cardboard and pretty much single use.

The point being to make them ubiquitous again, the way forward is to put them back in general use, not selling them as a secondary item.

One activist quoted in the report runs an Australian nonprofit that “works to protect the world’s forests by helping” retailers “ensure their packaging doesn’t rely on paper and is environmentally friendly.”

According to her estimates, more than 3 billion trees, “many of which are old-growth and endangered,” are cut down “every year to make paper-based products like bags, straws, and food containers.”

Again, total bullcrap. Paper trees tend to be spruce and softwood pines, and detritus from lumber logging jobs. Most paper trees are plantation trees, and nothing to do with old growth - Old growth is too hard to get to, and too hard to process for paper. For lumber, you might have a point, but to say it is paper is just nonsense.

« Last Edit: May 22, 2023, 10:41:49 pm by roamer_1 »

Offline Sighlass

• Didn't vote for McCain Dole Romney Trump !
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2023, 10:54:03 pm »
The points I wanted to make were in the bottom section of the article. Good read. There is more forests now than 100 years ago... and the old growth they gripe about it because old trees often get too big to be useful anymore (diseased and bug infested). Family has a section of never cut land (old growth hardwoods), it probable is not worth the 40 y/o plot the same size.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2023, 10:56:12 pm by Sighlass »
Exodus 18:21 Furthermore, you shall select out of all the people able men who fear God, men of truth, those who hate dishonest gain; and you shall place these over them as leaders over ....

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2023, 05:17:15 am »
At the Walmart I go to, they've discontinued ALL shopping bags -- except for fancy "fabric" ones you can buy for several dollars apiece.

No paper.
No plastic.

You have to bring your own bags, or boxes, to carry stuff off in.
while ours still has bags, I buy canned goods by the case and take the box...
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2023, 05:20:49 am »
It doesn't matter.

If the ecoweenies get their way, there won't be any food, either.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2023, 07:06:21 pm »
I don't like cloth bags.  Germs from the meat I got on the last trip.  I'm not going to do special laundry to clean them.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline Kamaji

« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2023, 07:06:57 pm »
I don't like cloth bags.  Germs from the meat I got on the last trip.  I'm not going to do special laundry to clean them.

Any reuseable bag inevitably accumulates pathogens.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2023, 07:26:45 pm »
Any reuseable bag inevitably accumulates pathogens.

You betcha!
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Online roamer_1

« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2023, 07:27:51 pm »

Meh. I have never cleaned a tote sack in my life. If it's iffy, throw it in the fire.

But then, that's a tote sack. not a purchased cloth bag. I just saved it once the grain was gone.

But as to your complaint, a tote sack is the same thing, maybe worse, and I ain't dead yet.

And understand: REUSE has always been a country thing... A conservative thing.

Use it up
Wear it out
Make it do
or do without.

There ain't a damn thing wrong with that.
Heck, rednecks have been saying that all the way along, through plastic AND paper.

Offline DefiantMassRINO

« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2023, 07:47:10 pm »
In the end, they just want to ban modern human existence, except for themselves.
Self-Anointed Deplorable Expert Chowderhead Pundit

I reserve my God-given rights to be wrong and to be stupid at all times.
"If at first you don’t succeed, destroy all evidence that you tried." - Steven Wright