Author Topic: SM-3 IIA: The Missile That Could Kill Russian or Chinese ICBMs in a War  (Read 119 times)

Online rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
SM-3 IIA: The Missile That Could Kill Russian or Chinese ICBMs in a War
Story by Kris Osborn • Yesterday 2:02 PM

The U.S. Navy’s ship-launched Standard Missile-3 has a distinguished and significant history firing from vertical launch systems on destroyers and cruisers.

But a specific kind of progress in recent years places the weapon in an entirely new paradigm.

SM-3: The ICBM Stopper
The newest SM-3 variant, Block IIA, has shown it can actually play a role in taking down enemy intercontinental ballistic missiles.

It can do so by being thrust just beyond the boundary of the Earth’s atmosphere, where it can take out an ICBM just as the missile finishes its mid-course phase and descends into a terminal phase within the atmosphere.

This is incredibly significant and a historic breakthrough that was first confirmed during a test in 2020.

SM-3s are exo-atmospheric interceptor missiles designed to destroy incoming short- and intermediate-range ballistic missiles as they approach the boundaries of the Earth’s atmosphere while traveling from space. They have for many years proven effective against short-, medium-, and long-range ballistic missiles.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/sm-3-iia-the-missile-that-could-kill-russian-of-chinese-icbms-in-a-war/ar-AA1btQ29?ocid=msedgntp&cvid=4833296e021a4c30888185ff467fc324&ei=41
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson