Author Topic: How solar farms took over the California desert: ‘An oasis has become a dead sea’  (Read 236 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
How solar farms took over the California desert: ‘An oasis has become a dead sea’
Story by Oliver Wainwright in Desert Center, California • 7h ago

Deep in the Mojave desert, about halfway between Los Angeles and Phoenix, a sparkling blue sea shimmers on the horizon. Visible from the I-10 highway, amid the parched plains and sun-baked mountains, it is an improbable sight: a deep blue slick stretching for miles across the Chuckwalla Valley, forming an endless glistening mirror.

But something’s not quite right. Closer up, the water’s edge appears blocky and pixelated, with the look of a low-res computer rendering, while its surface is sculpted in orderly geometric ridges, like frozen waves.

“We had a guy pull in the other day towing a big boat,” says Don Sneddon, a local resident. “He asked us how to get to the launch ramp to the lake. I don’t think he realised he was looking at a lake of solar panels.”

Over the last few years, this swathe of desert has been steadily carpeted with one of the world’s largest concentrations of solar power plants, forming a sprawling photovoltaic sea. On the ground, the scale is almost incomprehensible. The Riverside East Solar Energy Zone – the ground zero of California’s solar energy boom – stretches for 150,000 acres, making it 10 times the size of Manhattan.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/how-solar-farms-took-over-the-california-desert-an-oasis-has-become-a-dead-sea/ar-AA1btfQs?ocid=msedgntp&cvid=d297fb8df3f247138f4960f3f8d24825&ei=14
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
Look I detest these solar farms and what they are covering as much as anyone, but exactly what oasis was there in the Mohave? The hypocrisy of the Gaia worshipping green lunatics is that they did everything they could to keep people(those they considered the wrong type) from enjoying any off road activities in these areas because they said they damaged the environment and disrupted native plants and animals, but they are fine with covering acre after acre with solar panels and mirrors that not only disrupt and destroy the environment but kill untold avians.

Offline Kamaji

Wow.  150,000 acres.