Author Topic: Yellen: 14th Amendment Can’t Be Appropriately Used to Raise Debt Ceiling  (Read 225 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Yellen: 14th Amendment Can’t Be Appropriately Used to Raise Debt Ceiling

Pam Key21 May 20234
1:16

Treasury Secretary Janet Yellen said Sunday on NBC’s “Meet the Press” that President Joe Biden can not invoke the 14th Amendment to address the debt ceiling under the current circumstances.

Anchor Chuck Todd said, “Does the 14th Amendment fall under the category of extraordinary measures?”

Yellen said, “Well, extraordinary measures is used in a different way, but there hasn’t been much discussion of the 14th Amendment, and as President Biden said, I believe this morning, it doesn’t seem like something that could be appropriately used in these circumstances given the legal uncertainty around it and given the tight timeframe we’re on. So my devout hope is that Congress will raise the debt ceiling and we will pay all of our bills.”

Todd said, “Are you going to pay all of our debts and then let the court tell us we shouldn’t have if we breach the debt ceiling? I understand wanting to use it now, but are we really going to sit there and let bills go unpaid and not even trying this?”

Yellen said, “We take the debt ceiling seriously as constraint on our ability to pay bills that are coming due and my assumption is that if the debt ceiling isn’t raised there would be hard choices to make about what bills go unpaid.”

more
https://www.breitbart.com/clips/2023/05/21/yellen-14th-amendment-cant-be-appropriately-used-to-raise-debt-ceiling/
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline mountaineer

YELLEN: Invoking the 14th Amendment "would be a constitutional crisis"
And yet ...

https://twitter.com/RNCResearch/status/1655207117014327299
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline mountaineer

Jonathan Turley SCHOOLS AOC (and John Fetterman, HA!) on the Constitution in politely vicious thread
Posted at 8:33 am on May 29, 2023 by Sam Janney
Twitchy

Plenty of Democrats, and sadly, a few Republicans, are ignorant of the Constitution, but AOC … woof. We’re not sure who started this ridiculous idea about using the 14th Amendment to ‘eliminate the debt ceiling’ but whoever it was, AOC has really taken that idea and run with it. (Psst, we do know who started it, but this just makes it funnier).

Forget that it’s wrong and she’s only further embarrassing herself.

And luckily, you don’t have to take our word for it because Jonathan Turley put together a short and simple thread explaining why she’s wrong.  ...

https://twitter.com/JonathanTurley/status/1662604572936871937
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org