Author Topic: Nearly 1 in 3 Female Recruits Were Injured in Army Basic Training Last Year  (Read 290 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Nearly 1 in 3 Female Recruits Were Injured in Army Basic Training Last Year

18 May 2023
Military.com | By Steve Beynon

Women are at least twice as likely as men to be injured in Army basic training, according to data collected over six years by the service.

Most of those injuries were musculoskeletal -- meaning they affect the bones, muscles, joints and tendons of female recruits. Military.com obtained the injury data as the Army is looking for ways to boost recovery for men and women moving through boot camp.

During 2022, nearly 30% of female recruits were injured on average each month during Army basic training. The average was 23% per month between 2017 and 2022, the data shows. During those years, about 12% of male recruits were injured each month.

The gap between male and female injuries in Army basic training isn't unique to the military.

https://www.military.com/daily-news/2023/05/18/nearly-1-3-female-recruits-were-injured-army-basic-training-last-year.html
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

• I'll make Mincemeat out of 'em"
This has been a dirty little secret for a long time, and it gets even worse as time goes on.  Women who are in more physical fields break down at even higher rates as they enter their late 20's.  There was a female Marine captain awhile back who wrote an extensive article about what long conditioning hikes carrying lots of gear did to her over time, and she said that was really common among female Marines.  So even if they make it through boot camp uninured, most end up being on light duty or worse if they are in physically demanding fields.  But...gender equality and all that says we must keep doing it even if it kills readiness.

Offline Sighlass

• Didn't vote for McCain Dole Romney Trump !
Wife's sister was in the Army for little over a year, I don't think she ever passed parts of the physical requirements. She became with child by some fellow and lost the baby but also quit the service somehow that was considered not dishonorable (a choice I imagine that wasn't offered to men). I don't bring up the subject of course.
Exodus 18:21 Furthermore, you shall select out of all the people able men who fear God, men of truth, those who hate dishonest gain; and you shall place these over them as leaders over ....