Author Topic: Global warming set to break key 1.5C limit for first time  (Read 242 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Global warming set to break key 1.5C limit for first time
« on: May 21, 2023, 10:08:32 am »
Global warming set to break key 1.5C limit for first time
Published
3 days ago

By Matt McGrath
Environment correspondent
Our overheating world is likely to break a key temperature limit for the first time over the next few years, scientists predict.

Researchers say there's now a 66% chance we will pass the 1.5C global warming threshold between now and 2027.

The chances are rising due to emissions from human activities and a likely El NiƱo weather pattern later this year.

If the world passes the limit, scientists stress the breach, while worrying, will likely be temporary.

Hitting the threshold would mean the world is 1.5C warmer than it was during the second half of the 19th Century, before fossil fuel emissions from industrialisation really began to ramp up.

https://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-65602293
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
Re: Global warming set to break key 1.5C limit for first time
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2023, 09:41:16 pm »

Offline Hoodat

Re: Global warming set to break key 1.5C limit for first time
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2023, 10:07:18 pm »
Hitting the threshold would mean the world is 1.5C warmer than it was during the second half of the 19th Century, before fossil fuel emissions from industrialisation really began to ramp up.

But still considerably lower than it was around 1000 AD when Greenland was colonized.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-