Author Topic: Give Criminology a Chance. Notes from a discipline on the brink  (Read 290 times)

Online rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Give Criminology a Chance
Notes from a discipline on the brink

/ Eye on the News / Public Safety
May 12 2023

Every year, around mid-November, the American Society of Criminology hosts a conference to showcase the state of the discipline. The ASC is home to academic criminologists—professors and other scholars who conduct research and teach about crime and justice. I have attended these meetings since 1992, but my engagement with the organization has dissipated as the ASC has grown increasingly political.

In 2013, for example, white men were entirely excluded from organizing panel presentations for the annual meeting the following year. Not one of the 69 individuals responsible for creating sessions from all the submissions was a white man, and 90 percent were women. Men make up 45 percent of the organization’s membership, though, and the overwhelming majority (80 percent) are white. Clearly, this was not a coincidence.

The ASC leadership is responsible for the organization’s descent. The president at the time of the 2014 conference, Joanne Belknap, an activist scholar of radical feminist persuasion, delivered a presidential address back then that left no room for interpretation: “I was thrilled with the praxis aspect of Marxism, the call for scholars to do more than sit in ivory towers and the necessity of being part of making political and societal change. I still embrace most of the tenets of . . . Marxism.” A few years later, under the presidency of Meda Chesney-Lind, the agenda for the 2019 meeting was even more explicit in its political commitments. From her preview of that conference: “Progressive criminologists, particularly in the United States, face a daunting set of challenges. It is now clear that rightwing politics, particularly racism, sexism and nationalism, were central to Donald Trump’s surprising election.”

https://www.city-journal.org/article/give-criminology-a-chance
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline jafo2010

• Dems-greatest existential threat to USA republic!
Re: Give Criminology a Chance. Notes from a discipline on the brink
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2023, 05:07:18 am »
It is airhead organizations like this that believe in reinventing the wheel that have killed so many innocent people with their asinine mindset of normalizing criminality.

Finding means to reform the criminal while he/she is behind bars is one thing, giving them freedom after committing crime is another.  That is lunacy.

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2023, 08:41:49 pm »
It is airhead organizations like this that believe in reinventing the wheel that have killed so many innocent people with their asinine mindset of normalizing criminality.

Finding means to reform the criminal while he/she is behind bars is one thing, giving them freedom after committing crime is another.  That is lunacy.
Unfortunately, 'agenda before science' has infiltrated almost every discipline where it can fit, most especially sociology, psychology, climatology, and medicine.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Kamaji

« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2023, 09:59:46 pm »
These people are disgusting.