Author Topic: THOR Hammers Drone Swarm with High-Power Microwaves  (Read 102 times)

Online rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
THOR Hammers Drone Swarm with High-Power Microwaves
« on: May 20, 2023, 05:12:16 pm »
THOR Hammers Drone Swarm with High-Power Microwaves
May 19, 2023

An experimental directed energy weapon developed by the Air Force Research Laboratory successfully disabled a swarm of drones last month—its first test on such a scale.

The Tactical High-power Operational Responder, or THOR, has been in development for years now, generating high levels of interest within the military and beyond. THOR uses bursts of high-power microwave energy to disable small unmanned systems, causing them to drop from the sky.

An April 5 demonstration at Kirtland Air Force Base, N.M., pitted “numerous” drones of a sort THOR had not faced before against the weapon in the “first test of this scale in AFRL history,” according to a release.

“THOR was exceptionally effective at disabling the swarm with its wide beam, high peak powers, and fast-moving gimbal to track and disable the targets,” said Adrian Lucero, THOR program manager, in the release. 

Ken Miller, AFRL’s high power electromagnetics division chief, declared the demonstration a “success.”

https://www.airandspaceforces.com/air-forces-thor-drone-swarm-demo/
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson