Author Topic: 9 Suicides on Aircraft Carrier Due to Toughest Living Conditions in Military: Navy  (Read 163 times)

Online rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor

9 Suicides on Aircraft Carrier Due to Toughest Living Conditions in Military: Navy
Story by David Wetzel • Yesterday 10:00 AM

Nine sailors living in harsh conditions aboard the USS George Washington took their own lives, according to the United States Naval Institute.

According to a Navy investigation released Thursday, sailors assigned to a nearly six-year-long maintenance period at HII's Newport News Shipbuilding had to deal with poor living conditions, commutes of up to three hours and were kept away from their families and peers while living in the shipyard.

The investigation notes that the complaints from sailors, which were exacerbated by the COVID-19 pandemic, were ignored by Navy leadership.

The investigation also noted a high rate of substance abuse among the sailors due to the poor living conditions.

U.S. Fleet Forces Commander Adm. Daryl Caudle attributed some of the stress the sailors dealt with to officials not considering how a two-year extension of the deployment would have on the crew.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/9-suicides-on-aircraft-carrier-due-to-toughest-living-conditions-in-military-navy/ar-AA1bpYZ3?ocid=msedgdhp&pc=U531&cvid=2ab41427fb0646e6b51a1d29d1b39ebe&ei=30
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Online rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
I went through two SFOMS (Ships Force Overhaul Maintenance System) and they truly were a pain in the ass.  But they lasted only 3-4 months.  6 years is terrorism.  As far as the leadership not listening to the men, they didn't listen to line officers standing for their men, either.  I'm thinking of Capt. Crozier who was drummed out of the Navy for standing up for his crew.  The Navy has a long history of ignoring the needs of the men (now women, too) and would be well advised to look to that instead of pronouns, CRT, gay rights, and other wokeness. *look*
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson