Author Topic: Republican Sen. Tim Scott files to run for president in 2024  (Read 1248 times)

Offline libertybele

So far; Trump, Haley, Hutchison, Christie and Scott and it is very likely DeSantis will jump into the race. 

Scott running for president should prove interesting; Scott will probably get the Black vote.  Something that Trump needs.  DeSantis will get the Hispanic vote just like he did in the mid terms.  I don't see Trump with a clear path forward.  He can try his bullying, but he will alienate the Hispanic and Black voters. 

Republican Sen. Tim Scott files to run for president in 2024

Sen. Tim Scott of South Carolina, a rising star in the GOP, is jumping into the race for the 2024 Republican presidential nomination.

Scott, the only Black Republican in the Senate, filed paperwork with the Federal Elections Commission to seek the office of presidency, campaign filings show.

The GOP senator launched a $6 million ad campaign in key presidential primary states on Friday, ahead of a scheduled campaign announcement May 22.

Scott joins former President Donald Trump in the race for their party’s nomination. Trump launched his third White House bid in mid-November..................................

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/republican-sen-tim-scott-files-run-president-2024
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Online DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
Re: Republican Sen. Tim Scott files to run for president in 2024
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2023, 04:27:13 pm »
LOL!  Another one scheming for the VP slot on the ticket.   :yowsa:
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2023, 09:56:10 pm »

I can see the debate stage now ---- One candidate for POTUS surrounded by satellite candidates wearing "Pick Me, Sir!" badges.   :laugh:

@DCPatriot

« Last Edit: May 19, 2023, 09:57:20 pm by Right_in_Virginia »

Online DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2023, 10:01:12 pm »
I can see the debate stage now ---- One candidate for POTUS surrounded by satellite candidates wearing "Pick Me, Sir!" badges.   :laugh:

@DCPatriot

ROFL!

Politcally, Tim Scott makes perfect sense.

Counters a decade of "Republicans are Fascist Racists" narrative.

"Look, he's a clean articulate Black man with a nice crease to his pants...he's a fairy tale, man!"... FJB about  The Antichrist.
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline libertybele

« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2023, 10:10:01 pm »

Yes, I can see a DeSantis, Scott ticket.

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2023, 10:11:21 pm »
Taylor Budowich
@TayFromCA

Ron DeSantis’ failed shadow campaign has opened the flood gates for career politicians looking to seize an opportunity to raise their profile ahead of the 2028 race. Tim Scott’s entrance, and aggressive media purchase, doesn’t only kneecap DeSantis, but Scott sees the same thing as Youngkin, Sununu, Burgum, Christie, and others: the path to 2nd place is wide open. They smell Ron DeSantis' blood in the water and no longer see him as an obstacle.

12:27 PM · May 19, 2023

« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2023, 01:34:42 am »

Online mountaineer

« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2023, 08:02:12 pm »
Alayna Treene
@alaynatreene
.@SenJohnThune, the No. 2 Senate Republican, plans to endorse Tim Scott & attend his presidential campaign launch event in South Carolina tomorrow, sources familiar w/ his plans tell @CNN.
Thune previously told me he had privately encouraged Scott to enter the 2024 race
3:50 PM · May 21, 2023

Alayna Treene
@alaynatreene
"I'm excited about it. I've been encouraging him," Thune told CNN in March. “I think he's getting a lot of encouragement from his colleagues. … I think he'd be a really interesting candidate for president in a field that, you know, kind of could be fairly open”
3:50 PM · May 21, 2023

Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2023, 08:07:11 pm »
Taylor Budowich
@TayFromCA

Ron DeSantis’ failed shadow campaign has opened the flood gates for career politicians looking to seize an opportunity to raise their profile ahead of the 2028 race. Tim Scott’s entrance, and aggressive media purchase, doesn’t only kneecap DeSantis, but Scott sees the same thing as Youngkin, Sununu, Burgum, Christie, and others: the path to 2nd place is wide open. They smell Ron DeSantis' blood in the water and no longer see him as an obstacle.

12:27 PM · May 19, 2023

What a load of bullshit.  Each of these people are challenging Trump - not DeSantis.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Offline libertybele

« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2023, 09:06:41 pm »
What a load of bullshit.  Each of these people are challenging Trump - not DeSantis.

When I see the header "Make America Great Again, Inc." I don't even bother to read it anymore because I know that most of will be nothing more than a bunch of crappola.

Offline cato potatoe

« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2023, 09:39:56 pm »

For what?  Cellmate?

Offline Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2023, 09:41:59 pm »
For what?  Cellmate?

Now that's funny! 888high58888
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Offline libertybele

« Reply #12 on: May 21, 2023, 09:43:03 pm »

Online mountaineer

« Reply #13 on: May 21, 2023, 10:48:57 pm »
When I see the header "Make America Great Again, Inc." I don't even bother to read it anymore because I know that most of will be nothing more than a bunch of crappola.
It's like when Biden rails against "maga republicans." What does that even mean?
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

• I'll make Mincemeat out of 'em"
« Reply #14 on: May 22, 2023, 01:35:37 am »

I dunno.  The only way to beat Trump is for those Republicans who don't like him to unite around one candidate within the first primary or two.  But the more candidates there are in the field, the longer it will take to winnow them down, and the more that helps Trump.   I think it is likely intention on the part of at least some of them.

On the bright side, my wife - who is a Republican but not as conservative as I am -- was listening to the radio today and heard that statement from MAGA.  She hadn't been paying much attention, but when she heard Trump go after all those other Republicans like that, she said "What does he think he's doing?  There's no way I'm going to vote for that guy."

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #16 on: May 22, 2023, 01:44:40 am »
 Thune to endorse Tim Scott’s 2024 presidential bid
by Julia Shapero - 05/21/23 4:29 PM ET

Sen. John Thune (R-S.D.) plans to put his full endorsement behind Sen. Tim Scott’s (R-S.C.) bid for the 2024 Republican presidential nomination, a source familiar confirmed to The Hill.

In a show of trying to move the party away from former President Trump, Thune will attend the South Carolina senator’s formal campaign launch on Monday. As the No. 2 Senate Republican lawmaker, Thune is set to become the highest ranking congressional GOP leader to back Scott.

Thune’s endorsement was first reported by Politico.

Scott officially declared his candidacy on Friday, filing paperwork with the Federal Election Commission. Thune has been known to be a backer of Scott’s presidential aspirations, encouraging Scott to jump into the 2024 race earlier this year.

more
https://thehill.com/homenews/campaign/4014525-thune-to-endorse-tim-scotts-2024-bid/
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline libertybele

« Reply #17 on: May 22, 2023, 01:47:48 am »
I dunno.  The only way to beat Trump is for those Republicans who don't like him to unite around one candidate within the first primary or two.  But the more candidates there are in the field, the longer it will take to winnow them down, and the more that helps Trump.   I think it is likely intention on the part of at least some of them.

On the bright side, my wife - who is a Republican but not as conservative as I am -- was listening to the radio today and heard that statement from MAGA.  She hadn't been paying much attention, but when she heard Trump go after all those other Republicans like that, she said "What does he think he's doing?  There's no way I'm going to vote for that guy."

Trump is already alienating people.

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #18 on: May 22, 2023, 02:26:31 am »

I know a lot of women who think that same way.  Trump is poison when it comes to the women's vote.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Offline DB

« Reply #19 on: May 22, 2023, 03:12:40 am »
I know a lot of women who think that same way.  Trump is poison when it comes to the women's vote.

Trump is poison when it comes to the women's vote.

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

« Reply #20 on: May 22, 2023, 04:52:58 pm »
Trump is already alienating people.

Doesn't matter in the primary if those alienated people are split between different candidates.  Trump didn't win a majority of primary votes in 2016, but he won enough of a plurality that he won anyway.

Trump isn't a thoughtful guy, but he is cunning, and that's why he's happy to have Scott in the primary.

https://truthsocial.com/@realDonaldTrump/posts/110412891938430836

I would not be the least bit shocked to learn there's a backroom deal between Trump and Scott.   Scott helps fracture anti-Trump voters, and Trump promises to make him Veep.

Doesn't mean he'd actually make him VP - just that he'd promise/hint at it to Scott.

Offline Kamaji

« Reply #21 on: May 22, 2023, 04:55:19 pm »
Doesn't matter in the primary if those alienated people are split between different candidates.  Trump didn't win a majority of primary votes in 2016, but he won enough of a plurality that he won anyway.

Trump isn't a thoughtful guy, but he is cunning, and that's why he's happy to have Scott in the primary.

https://truthsocial.com/@realDonaldTrump/posts/110412891938430836

I would not be the least bit shocked to learn there's a backroom deal between Trump and Scott.   Scott helps fracture anti-Trump voters, and Trump promises to make him Veep.

Doesn't mean he'd actually make him VP - just that he'd promise/hint at it to Scott.

:thumbsup:

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #22 on: May 22, 2023, 05:18:13 pm »
Donald Trump Welcomes Tim Scott to Crowded GOP Primary: ‘Good Luck’

Former President Donald Trump on Monday welcomed Sen. Tim Scott (R-SC) to the crowded Republican primary field by wishing his longtime Senate ally “good luck.”

https://www.breitbart.com/politics/2023/05/22/donald-trump-welcomes-tim-scott-crowded-gop-primary-good-luck/
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34