Author Topic: Air Force Starts Multibillion-Dollar Contest for New Fighter Jet  (Read 181 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor

Air Force Starts Multibillion-Dollar Contest for New Fighter Jet
Story by Tony Capaccio • Yesterday 1:01 PM

(Bloomberg) -- The Air Force formally opened a multibillion-dollar contest to replace the F-22 Raptor fighter jet that’s likely to draw competing bids by US aerospace giants Lockheed Martin Corp., Boeing Co. and Northrop Grumman Corp.

The service issued a “Request for Proposals” on Thursday for the full-scale development phase of the Next Generation Air Dominance manned fighter, or NGAD, that’s intended to fly in tandem with drones that are being developed in a separate program. The service intents to award a development contract in 2024 with the new fighter entering service in the 2030s.

“This solicitation release formally begins the source selection process, providing industry with the requirements the Air Force expects for NGAD, as the replacement of the F-22,” the service said in a statement as it gave contractors the classified request. “The NGAD Platform represents a generational leap in technology over the F-22,”  Secretary of the Air Force Frank Kendall said.

The Air Force is asking Congress in its fiscal 2024 budget request to retire 32 of the older, so-called Block 20 F-22s that are no longer deemed combat-capable and shift the money it’s taking to maintain them into the new fighter program.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/companies/air-force-starts-multibillion-dollar-contest-for-new-fighter-jet/ar-AA1bmXKb?ocid=msedgdhp&pc=U531&cvid=4ca464c393be497ce405f8557ef2a702&ei=12
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Re: Air Force Starts Multibillion-Dollar Contest for New Fighter Jet
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2023, 02:24:10 pm »
Can eco-friendly electric planes fly mach 2-3? :whistle:
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline Kamaji

« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2023, 02:28:32 pm »
Another one?

Offline DefiantMassRINO

« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2023, 03:07:49 pm »
I'm ignorant on these things, but I thought the F-35 fighter was supposed to be the only new fighter we would need? 

F-35 was supposed to be the Ginsu Knife of next generation fighters.

Self-Anointed Deplorable Expert Chowderhead Pundit

I reserve my God-given rights to be wrong and to be stupid at all times.
"If at first you don’t succeed, destroy all evidence that you tried." - Steven Wright