Author Topic: Disney Pulls Plug on $1 Billion Development in Florida  (Read 9526 times)

Offline libertybele

Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline libertybele

Re: Disney Pulls Plug on $1 Billion Development in Florida
« Reply #76 on: May 20, 2023, 01:25:35 am »
On what conservative/constitutional principle is DeSantis standing his ground  @libertybele ?

I'll simplify it for you; he is standing against wokeness.

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline Sighlass

• Didn't vote for McCain Dole Romney Trump !
Exodus 18:21 Furthermore, you shall select out of all the people able men who fear God, men of truth, those who hate dishonest gain; and you shall place these over them as leaders over ....

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #78 on: May 20, 2023, 02:03:46 am »
On what conservative/constitutional principle is DeSantis standing his ground  @libertybele ?

You're kidding, right?

Online GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
« Reply #79 on: May 20, 2023, 06:08:57 am »
So, Ronny's at war with Disney based on the conservative and constitutional principle of monogamy?    000hehehehe
I was talking about what your boy doesn't actually believe in, but you are so far up his anus that his failures in those respect just don't matter, any more than your asinine emoji responses. No matter how much mud you throw at DeSantis the smear won't cover up Trump's lacking. While there is no argument Trump was illegally targeted by the democrats and feebs what is coming more clear about his lack of faithfulness in his most personal life and his constant childish lies and name calling of others is what will keep me from voting Trump a third time. While the democrats excuse infidelity as 'just sex' I see it in a completely different light. You can post this crap every day until the election and the only people who will cheer it are the handful of people who will vote Trump even if he killed someone on the street, I would say the grab em by the bleep thing is pretty much fact, I don't think you will change a single persons mind.

Offline Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #80 on: May 20, 2023, 07:04:56 am »
I was talking about what your boy doesn't actually believe in, but you are so far up his anus that his failures in those respect just don't matter, any more than your asinine emoji responses. No matter how much mud you throw at DeSantis the smear won't cover up Trump's lacking. While there is no argument Trump was illegally targeted by the democrats and feebs what is coming more clear about his lack of faithfulness in his most personal life and his constant childish lies and name calling of others is what will keep me from voting Trump a third time. While the democrats excuse infidelity as 'just sex' I see it in a completely different light. You can post this crap every day until the election and the only people who will cheer it are the handful of people who will vote Trump even if he killed someone on the street, I would say the grab em by the bleep thing is pretty much fact, I don't think you will change a single persons mind.

My, my ---- this is such a hostile, rambling word salad; and so unnecessary.  All you had to do was explain that you misunderstood my question instead of  posting a near psychotic reply.

Whatever floats your boat, I suppose.  :shrug:

« Reply #81 on: May 20, 2023, 08:00:49 am »
@libertybele  @roamer_1

I'm asking a serious and necessary question:  On what conservative/constitutional principle is DeSantis standing his ground in his fight against Disney?   I'm not asking what he's fighting, or why. 

Where do these conservative principles fit with the actions taken by DeSantis and his administration?

Conservative principle:  Individual Freedom
Individual, God-given liberties should be preserved against government intrusion.  The purpose of government is to secure the unalienable rights to life, liberty, conscience, free speech, the free exercise of religion, and the ability to pursue happiness, own property, build wealth and self-defense.

Conservative principle:  The Rule of Law
Ours is "a government of laws and not of men," and the rule of law is the foundation. Justice must be administered equally and impartially to all. All of government must adhere to the Constitution of the United States.

Conservative principle: Free Markets
Competition should be encouraged, and government intervention and regulation should be limited.

Offline Sighlass

• Didn't vote for McCain Dole Romney Trump !
« Reply #82 on: May 20, 2023, 08:14:27 am »
Another Conservative principle .... #7 which you left off...

7. Human Dignity
Because all men are created equal and in the image of God, every human life has inestimable dignity and value, and every person should be measured only by the content of their character. A just government protects life, honors marriage and family as the primary institutions of a healthy society, and embraces the vital cultural influences of religion and morality. Public policy should always encourage education and emphasize the virtue of hard work as a pathway out of-poverty, while public assistance programs should be reserved only for those who are truly in need. In America, everyone who plays by the rules should get a fair shot. By preserving these ideals, we will maintain the goodness of America that has been the secret to our greatness.

You can guess which positions DeSantis has stood behind vs Trump. Honors marriage (without the multiple affairs?)... Embraces VITAL cultural influences of religion and morality... Compare abortion positions and who is attacking another for a strong stance not being "NY values".

@libertybele  @roamer_1
« Last Edit: May 20, 2023, 08:18:36 am by Sighlass »
Exodus 18:21 Furthermore, you shall select out of all the people able men who fear God, men of truth, those who hate dishonest gain; and you shall place these over them as leaders over ....

« Reply #83 on: May 20, 2023, 09:00:03 am »
Another Conservative principle ....

It has nothing to do with Ronny's battle with Disney.  Reread what you posted @Sighlass :

"A just government protects life, honors marriage and family as the primary institutions of a healthy society, and embraces the vital cultural influences of religion and morality.

FWIW, "honoring" and "embracing" are not the same as forcing behavior using the strong arm of the government.  Honoring and embracing requires targeting hearts and minds ----- something conservatives loathe because it's hard.

Until the Constitution of the United States is repealed, we remain a Constitutional Republic based on the the rule of law, not the passions of zealots from any part of the political spectrum, including conservatives.  We are not a Christian Theocracy.  Try and understand the difference.

« Last Edit: May 20, 2023, 09:01:01 am by Right_in_Virginia »

Offline LMAO

« Reply #84 on: May 20, 2023, 11:31:05 am »
I'll simplify it for you; he is standing against wokeness.

He will need to be more than standing against wokeness. If he were to win the presidency, he will inherit a national debt with GDP ratio well over 120% and at higher interest rate. So far no candidate on either side of the aisle for president has mentioned that. Both Trump and Biden want to spend us further into oblivion so that disqualifies them both as far as I’m concerned

The first candidate who makes that issue part of their campaign will get my vote

“Standing against wokeness” isn’t high on the list of issues that fire up the electorate at large
« Last Edit: May 20, 2023, 11:35:32 am by LMAO »
I have little interest in streamlining government or in making it more efficient, for I mean to reduce its size. I do not undertake to promote welfare, for I propose to extend freedom. My aim is not to pass laws, but to repeal them.

Barry Goldwater

http://www.usdebtclock.org

My Avatar is my adult autistic son Tommy

Online Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
« Reply #85 on: May 20, 2023, 11:34:02 am »
It has nothing to do with Ronny's battle with Disney.  Reread what you posted @Sighlass :

FWIW, "honoring" and "embracing" are not the same as forcing behavior using the strong arm of the government. 

DeSantis is removing Disney's special tax status that it has enjoyed for decades. Govt shouldn't be involved in picking winners and losers in business, he just is leveling the playing field to make it more fair. Disney can do what it wants from there, DeSantis isn't forcing anything, in fact just the opposite. Certainly Disney shouldn't be pushing grooming, mutilating and human trafficking kids and still enjoy a tax free status.

Nice try, but your theory doesn't hold water.
The Republic is lost.

Offline LMAO

« Reply #86 on: May 20, 2023, 11:38:23 am »
If Biden was targeting a corporation this way for opposing his agenda, would that be ok?
I have little interest in streamlining government or in making it more efficient, for I mean to reduce its size. I do not undertake to promote welfare, for I propose to extend freedom. My aim is not to pass laws, but to repeal them.

Barry Goldwater

Offline LMAO

« Reply #87 on: May 20, 2023, 11:59:24 am »
DeSantis is removing Disney's special tax status that it has enjoyed for decades. Govt shouldn't be involved in picking winners and losers in business, he just is leveling the playing field to make it more fair. Disney can do what it wants from there, DeSantis isn't forcing anything, in fact just the opposite. Certainly Disney shouldn't be pushing grooming, mutilating and human trafficking kids and still enjoy a tax free status.

Would RDS be targeting Disney if they supported his agenda? I get and support the belief that government shouldn’t be picking winners and losers in a free market economy. But I have a sense that RDS isn’t doing this because he believes in the free market

Barry Goldwater

Online Free Vulcan

• Technical
« Reply #88 on: May 20, 2023, 12:11:34 pm »

Would RDS be targeting Disney if they supported his agenda? I get and support the belief that government shouldn’t be picking winners and losers in a free market economy. But I have a sense that RDS isn’t doing this because he believes in the free market

I would say if that's the litmus test that disqualifies him, then vote accordingly.
The Republic is lost.

Offline LMAO

« Reply #89 on: May 20, 2023, 12:20:01 pm »
I would say if that's the litmus test that disqualifies him, then vote accordingly.

I am leaning towards RDS for now as his record on spending while in Congress was far superior to Trump’s while president

But I cringe when government targets people or companies for wrong think. Of course, that then strengthens the argument for keeping business and government separate
« Last Edit: May 20, 2023, 12:20:50 pm by LMAO »

Barry Goldwater

Online Free Vulcan

• Technical
« Reply #90 on: May 20, 2023, 12:31:00 pm »
I am leaning towards RDS for now as his record on spending while in Congress was far superior to Trump’s while president

But I cringe when government targets people or companies for wrong think. Of course, that then strengthens the argument for keeping business and government separate

You could look at it that way, but the agreement was in force long before RDS became Governor. Suddenly refusing to honor the agreement because of it's special tax status might have been the right thing to do, but the wrong way to do it had Disney been operating in good faith.

With Disney wading into and strong arming their politics, good faith is out the window, and it gave RDS more than reason to level the playing field and end something that should have never happened.
The Republic is lost.

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #91 on: May 20, 2023, 12:36:01 pm »
Name them,

Equal protection, property rights, State empowerment, fiscal responsibility, limited government, etc.  You know,.  The things that Trump is not.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #92 on: May 20, 2023, 03:28:59 pm »
@libertybele  @roamer_1

I'm asking a serious and necessary question:  On what conservative/constitutional principle is DeSantis standing his ground in his fight against Disney?   I'm not asking what he's fighting, or why. 

Where do these conservative principles fit with the actions taken by DeSantis and his administration?

You're leading the question a bit, @Right_in_Virginia ... by categorical selection...

So I will start here:

Foremost he rose to protect the principles of the Christian Right, as found in the Greater Judeo-Christian Ethic. Those precepts are located in any Bible you might care to look at, but primarily found in Torah and the words of Christ. It is our moral root, and out sense of right and wrong.

If you cannot understand that a trusted corporation serving children, found to be grooming children, sexualizing them, is wrong beyond the pale, then we can stop right here, because you will understand nothing further.

FINALLY social conservatives have a champion, who rose sword in hand, to defend the very basic concept of something being damnwell wrong, that needs to be put down.

That's the cause.

And in the fix, he chose to put actual teeth in the Reedy Creek agreement, for the first time in a long time. He replaced the Reedy Creek Board with people who would protect the State's interest, creating leverage against an otherwise self governing corporation, who has been operating it's own little fiefdom for decades, largely free of the authority of the sovereign state of Florida.

Personally, I think he should go WAY further - Now that the court has decided that corporations are individuals, then the corporation becomes subject to the laws against pedophilia and grooming proper, and the law should be applied  to arrest the corporation as a singular entity and convict it as a singular entity, and send it to jail... and when it gets out, make sure it registers as a sexual predator and pedophile.

Just desserts.

Now, on to your question:

Conservative principle:  Individual Freedom
Individual, God-given liberties should be preserved against government intrusion.  The purpose of government is to secure the unalienable rights to life, liberty, conscience, free speech, the free exercise of religion, and the ability to pursue happiness, own property, build wealth and self-defense.

Individual freedom is limited purposefully by the sovereign state. That's what laws are for. Incidental to this issue, with the exception of the fact that the laws of the State are no longer selectively withheld from Disney, and that Disney is being made subject to them.

Conservative principle:  The Rule of Law
Ours is "a government of laws and not of men," and the rule of law is the foundation. Justice must be administered equally and impartially to all. All of government must adhere to the Constitution of the United States.

In fact DeSantis is fixing this by his actions. None of the other resorts in Florida have such a buddy deal as is found in Reedy Creek. There is no reason whatsoever why Disney should not have to function under the very same regulations as every other corporation, and specifically, resort, as found throughout the state. They don't have such autonomy. This is leveling the playing field. This is creating 'equality and impartiality' (at least in the eyes of those other corporations, who suffer the regulations the state imposes), removing a decades-old good ol boy agreement.

Note that I am not against such agreements - But they are not sacrosanct or perpetual, or the state has ignored its duty to the People. And Disney has long benefited by it... More than satisfying any agreement there was.

Conservative principle: Free Markets
Competition should be encouraged, and government intervention and regulation should be limited.

Again, no injury, and actually provided for in the 'equality and impartiality' mentioned above, if Reedy Creek is dissolved.

... All that remembering of course, the first cause... Defending a woke, grooming corporation's autonomy against the legitimate sovereignty of the state is unconscionable. It is only proper that the state remove its favor and bring its authority to bear.

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #93 on: May 20, 2023, 03:38:22 pm »
“Standing against wokeness” isn’t high on the list of issues that fire up the electorate at large

You have not been watching Butt Light fall from grace, I take it. The electorate is surely fired up against the Woke theology, and the insidious use of stakeholder corporatism. This is nail, right on the head.

And because he champions this issue does not mean he cannot walk and chew gum at the same time... I have not dug deeply, but it seems he has given TEA no short shrift. He has remained as he was in Congress. Predictably, that makes him the best bet in decades in fiscal and libertarian issues.

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #94 on: May 20, 2023, 03:39:57 pm »

Precisely right.

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #95 on: May 20, 2023, 03:40:38 pm »
If Biden was targeting a corporation this way for opposing his agenda, would that be ok?

Biden and the left target corporations all the time.

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #96 on: May 20, 2023, 03:42:50 pm »

This isn't merely 'wrong think'... this is WRONG. Two very different things.

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #97 on: May 20, 2023, 04:04:28 pm »
Another Conservative principle .... #7 which you left off...

7. Human Dignity

That's right - But beyond that, Disney is practicing (with impunity, favor) violations of the Judeo-Christian Ethic, which is our sense of right and wrong, upon which (or through the prism of) our laws are written.

It's all the rage that corporations cannot/should not be moral, but that is exactly why they have become a tool of the left - Supplanting right and wrong with another moral sense as found in stakeholder corporatism.

Here's another conservative principle for you - There is no moral neutral. Wherever you are on the scale between morality and immorality, you are serving under a moral aegis.

So as in all things, you must draw a hard line. Stakeholder corporatism is trying to draw that line across what less than a generation ago was known as evil, and calling it good.

If no one rises to defend, that line will be drawn for you.

Offline libertybele

« Reply #98 on: May 20, 2023, 04:19:14 pm »

Indeed.

« Reply #99 on: May 20, 2023, 04:56:21 pm »
DeSantis is removing Disney's special tax status that it has enjoyed for decades.

Here's the nub:  Desantis admits in his recent book that Disney speaking out against Florida's Don't Say Gay bill was both his motivation for and what made these changes possible after all these decades.  The jackass then went on to publicly up the ante by itemizing additional retaliatory actions he's considering ---- adding "anything is possible".