Author Topic: Disney Pulls Plug on $1 Billion Development in Florida  (Read 9547 times)

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
Re: Disney Pulls Plug on $1 Billion Development in Florida
« Reply #50 on: May 19, 2023, 06:30:14 pm »
And it was the Peoples' elected representatives who rescinded those extraordinary quasi-governmental powers when they felt they were abused.

I cannot believe that folks are defending this plantation.

Remember when people got upset about a Company Store?

This is a store on steroids.  A plantation, if you will.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline DefiantMassRINO

« Reply #51 on: May 19, 2023, 06:30:50 pm »
What was Disney's sin?

But, why are those powers being rescinded?

What laws or agreements has Disney violated?

How is this whole exercise not just DeSantis' personal vandetta?

What is DeSantis' legal justification or legal theory for doing this?

... just because he can is valid.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2023, 06:35:31 pm by DefiantMassRINO »
Self-Anointed Deplorable Expert Chowderhead Pundit

I reserve my God-given rights to be wrong and to be stupid at all times.
"If at first you don’t succeed, destroy all evidence that you tried." - Steven Wright

Offline libertybele

« Reply #52 on: May 19, 2023, 06:33:44 pm »
And it gives Trump supporters an opportunity to post Topics just to bash DeSantis.  I did not fail to note who posted this one.

Yes indeed.
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #53 on: May 19, 2023, 06:34:54 pm »
Remember when people got upset about a Company Store?

This is a store on steroids.  A plantation, if you will.

Exactly true - And a most trusted corporation historically - trusted with our children - who has decided to promote woke grooming.

INDEFENSIBLE. If it turned into a smoking crater it would not be enough.

And yet, people defend it.

Offline Kamaji

« Reply #54 on: May 19, 2023, 06:35:21 pm »

How is this whole exercise not just DeSantis' personal vandetta?

Why is motive paramount?  The only legitimate question is:  is proper procedure being followed to rescind those powers that were previously granted?

And given that this does nothing more than put Disney back on a more even playing field with other private for-profit companies, it stretches the imagination beyond all rationality to say that they are being punished for speaking out.

They are losing special privileges because they abused those privileges, and their position in the community, to impose a particular political ideology on the community.

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #55 on: May 19, 2023, 06:41:37 pm »
What was Disney's sin?

REALLY?

Howabout surreptitiously gaining control of its governing board and granting itself total autonomy forever? What agreement is left after that? That is a fiefdom right in the center of Florida with all but a named king.

Offline DefiantMassRINO

« Reply #56 on: May 19, 2023, 06:42:39 pm »
Ending special treatment for large corporations is actually a good reason, but that message is not coming across clearly.

That could be a winning populist message if more clearly communicated ... but that puts him in the "corporations need to pay their fare share" camp with the likes of AOC and Bernie Sanders.

Why is motive paramount?  The only legitimate question is:  is proper procedure being followed to rescind those powers that were previously granted?

And given that this does nothing more than put Disney back on a more even playing field with other private for-profit companies, it stretches the imagination beyond all rationality to say that they are being punished for speaking out.

They are losing special privileges because they abused those privileges, and their position in the community, to impose a particular political ideology on the community.

"If at first you don’t succeed, destroy all evidence that you tried." - Steven Wright

Offline Kamaji

« Reply #57 on: May 19, 2023, 06:43:56 pm »
Ending special treatment for large corporations is actually a good reason, but that message is not coming across clearly.

That could be a winning populist message if more clearly communicated ... but that puts him in the "corporations need to pay their fare share" camp with the likes of AOC and Bernie Sanders.

Well, with folks like you out there trumpeting the narrative that this is just some underhanded, weasely way of punishing poor, innocent Disney for voicing an opinion, it's not surprising that belief is out there.

Offline DefiantMassRINO

« Reply #58 on: May 19, 2023, 06:59:15 pm »
Optics are optics.  DeSantis didn't start this effort the day he was sworn in to his first term as governor.

If DeSantis wants to position himself as a populist on taxes, he needs to present a platform for Payroll Tax relief and reform.

As a wage earner, my Federal Income Tax rate is higher than corporate and long-term capital gains tax rates.  It gets worse when the Medicare and F.I.C.A tax rates are piled on top of the Federal Income Tax.

Many MAGAs are being subjected to regressive payroll taxation to the benefit of the welfare state and corporations.

Well, with folks like you out there trumpeting the narrative that this is just some underhanded, weasely way of punishing poor, innocent Disney for voicing an opinion, it's not surprising that belief is out there.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2023, 07:02:02 pm by DefiantMassRINO »

Offline Kamaji

« Reply #59 on: May 19, 2023, 07:01:15 pm »
Optics are optics.  DeSantis didn't start this effort the day he was sworn in to his first term as governor.

If DeSantis wants to position himself as a populist on taxes, he needs to present a platform for Payroll Tax relief and reform.

As a wage earner, my Federal Income Tax rate is higher than corporate and long-term capital gains tax rates.  It gets worse when the Medicare and F.I.C.A tax rates are piled on top of the Federal Income Tax.

Okey-dokey.

Offline PeteS in CA

« Reply #60 on: May 19, 2023, 07:41:41 pm »
From what I’ve read (can’t find the link), this ~$1B project is less that 10% of Disney’s ongoing development projects. So it’s a demitasse cup in the 5 gallon bucket of Disney growth in Florida.

As for forced transfer, the people whose jobs would have been moved would have been given months or over a year to make the choice and take the requisite actions to either move or find other employment. It’s not a pleasant choice, BTDTGTTS.

My company gave us 17 months notice. After a month to get organized that included a long planned trans-Atlantic cruise (35th anniversary, not something we do regularly), it took me another 3 months to find another job (it’s like a Karen-employer ritual-statement, but my new job is better). There are lots of tech companies in Silicon Valley. Similarly, there probably are lots of entertainment companies in the LA area.

I wonder whether this decision by Disney will come to bite them. Housing costs in the Land of LA aren’t as high as in Silicon Valley, but I suspect they are high enough (and commute traffic/times awful enough) that Disney is already finding difficulty recruiting new talent out of universities. That recruiting problem was the reason my former employer shut down the division for which I worked. Telling prospects that they would have to live 2 hours’ drive from work and probably would never be able to afford a home in Silicon Valley is not a compelling recruitment message. The same is true for Disney and Land of LA housing costs.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2023, 07:43:53 pm by PeteS in CA »
If, as anti-Covid-vaxxers claim, https://www.poynter.org/fact-checking/2021/robert-f-kennedy-jr-said-the-covid-19-vaccine-is-the-deadliest-vaccine-ever-made-thats-not-true/ , https://gospelnewsnetwork.org/2021/11/23/covid-shots-are-the-deadliest-vaccines-in-medical-history/ , The Vaccine is deadly, where in the US have Pfizer and Moderna hidden the millions of bodies of those who died of "vaccine injury"? Is reality a Big Pharma Shill?

Millions now living should have died. Anti-Covid-Vaxxer ghouls hardest hit.

Offline Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #61 on: May 19, 2023, 09:40:53 pm »
I have to hand it to DeSantis.  He's standing on his conservative principles

What conservative principles are these @libertybele ?

« Reply #62 on: May 19, 2023, 09:44:14 pm »
And it gives Trump supporters an opportunity to post Topics just to bash DeSantis.  I did not fail to note who posted this one.

If only you knew what I could be posting @Cyber Liberty  :laugh:

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #63 on: May 19, 2023, 09:45:16 pm »

The ones you condemn him for.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

« Reply #64 on: May 19, 2023, 09:47:09 pm »
In a society founded upon Freedom of Thought, Freedom of Speech, Freedom of Worship, and individual Liberty, how can any side in the culture wars declare victory without instituting a totalitarian Government?

No replies  :pondering:

« Reply #65 on: May 19, 2023, 09:47:38 pm »
The ones you condemn him for.

Name them,

Offline libertybele

« Reply #66 on: May 19, 2023, 09:51:04 pm »

What originated the argument between Disney and DeSantis is the Don't Say Gay bill. DeSantis is standing his ground.

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
« Reply #67 on: May 19, 2023, 09:58:45 pm »
Monogamy, faithfulness, honoring a vow?

Online Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
« Reply #68 on: May 19, 2023, 11:10:37 pm »
DeSantis is a Rat Killer.
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Offline LMAO

« Reply #69 on: May 19, 2023, 11:18:06 pm »
Actually, as included in my posts, the sources are The New York Times and an interview from the Republican mayor of Miami with The Hill @LMAO

There are dozens are reports on this out on Al Gore's magnificent Internet.  Please, feel free to post one proving your side of this debate ---- whatever the heck that may be ----- is correct.

Your "shoot the messenger" strategy is tiresome.

I’m just going by your discredited posting history

If I recall, didn’t you also post a claim of a Soros endorsement when it came to RDS? You’ve been so thoroughly discredited when it comes to anything regarding RDS on this site that yes, it is fair to shoot the messenger

Remember when you asked  other posters to defend a picture of RDS in his 20’s surrounded by girls with drinks in their hands as that being a new conservative standard when no one could confirm anything beyond it being a pic of a young RDS surrounded by girls with alcohol in their hands? Good times.

So I simply doubted anything you post regarding RDS from that point on. That’s what happens when you’re dishonest. I’ll do my own research when determining if he’s the next conservative savior or not and not regurgitated Trump talking points
« Last Edit: May 19, 2023, 11:28:35 pm by LMAO »
I have little interest in streamlining government or in making it more efficient, for I mean to reduce its size. I do not undertake to promote welfare, for I propose to extend freedom. My aim is not to pass laws, but to repeal them.

Barry Goldwater

http://www.usdebtclock.org

My Avatar is my adult autistic son Tommy

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
« Reply #70 on: May 20, 2023, 12:18:45 am »
Florida has averaged a 3K gain in jobs per month for the last year, so the 2K liberals Disney wants to move here won't affect much.

I also imagine DeSantis' stand on Disney will more than be made up by other businesses now wanting to invest in a state that rejects woke.
The Republic is lost.

Offline libertybele

« Reply #71 on: May 20, 2023, 12:25:52 am »
Florida has averaged a 3K gain in jobs per month for the last year, so the 2K liberals Disney wants to move here won't affect much.

I also imagine DeSantis' stand on Disney will more than be made up by other businesses now wanting to invest in a state that rejects woke.

Nice.  Another feather in DeSantis' cap.

« Reply #72 on: May 20, 2023, 12:56:25 am »
What originated the argument between Disney and DeSantis is the Don't Say Gay bill. DeSantis is standing his ground.

On what conservative/constitutional principle is DeSantis standing his ground  @libertybele ?

« Last Edit: May 20, 2023, 01:15:03 am by Right_in_Virginia »

« Reply #73 on: May 20, 2023, 01:14:09 am »
Monogamy, faithfulness, honoring a vow?

So, Ronny's at war with Disney based on the conservative and constitutional principle of monogamy?    000hehehehe

Offline PeteS in CA

If, as anti-Covid-vaxxers claim, https://www.poynter.org/fact-checking/2021/robert-f-kennedy-jr-said-the-covid-19-vaccine-is-the-deadliest-vaccine-ever-made-thats-not-true/ , https://gospelnewsnetwork.org/2021/11/23/covid-shots-are-the-deadliest-vaccines-in-medical-history/ , The Vaccine is deadly, where in the US have Pfizer and Moderna hidden the millions of bodies of those who died of "vaccine injury"? Is reality a Big Pharma Shill?

Millions now living should have died. Anti-Covid-Vaxxer ghouls hardest hit.