Author Topic: Disney Pulls Plug on $1 Billion Development in Florida  (Read 9628 times)

Online Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
Re: Disney Pulls Plug on $1 Billion Development in Florida
« Reply #25 on: May 19, 2023, 02:58:33 am »
Disney is also in the midst of cutting $5.5 billion in costs as it seeks to improve profitability, pay down debt and restore its dividend.

And why are they cutting costs? Maybe to compensate for the people abandoning their stuff over "woke" crap?

Let them pout...in Cali.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Online GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
« Reply #26 on: May 19, 2023, 03:53:47 am »
From the NY Times article:

Also buried in the article:

So basically, what you have here is purely a business decision by Disney.  Yet one particular poster here is using it to push a false narrative against the current Governor in an attempt to deceive.  Not just a false narrative, but a false narrative perpetrated by perhaps the most liberal newspaper in the country.
Modern, since Walt died, Disney is a cancer on the American family and way of life and everyone is better for them not expanding their rot. I fully believe the reason Disney is pulling the plug is because they let morons make queerified alphabetsouper movies that turned off normal Americans leading to huge losses, hence the laying of of thousands in their entertainment(TV and movies) division. But hey let's blame it on that big old movie DeSantis.

Online Hoodat

« Reply #27 on: May 19, 2023, 04:07:04 am »
Why take such a shot because some think DeSantis has lost control of his battle with Disney

You may want people to think that.  But only a complete idiot would.  Which is why no one here is buying the liberal bullshit you are peddling.  Even the source left-wing story you cited acknowledges that Disney's decision has zero to do with DeSantis.  Yet even after this is pointed out to you, you choose to double down on a lie.

and Florida's economy looks poised to pay the price.

It is Disney's economy that is paying the price - not Florida.  Which is why they are backing out.  If you click the link in the lead post, you will see that.

If Floridians are happy to pay that price, I personally would wish them the best and gladly stand down.

According to the last election results, it is crystal clear that Floridians are happy.  But you won't stand down.  You'll be back tomorrow pushing some other lie about DeSantis.  And it's not Florida paying the price.  It is Disney.  Their initial reason for the move was to save money through tax credits that would have netted Disney $570 million over the next two decades, which you would have know had you actually read the article you linked.  But they are now suffering a revenue shortage from their own stupid business decisions, making the move unaffordable.

I care because DeSantis wants to follow his Florida blueprint from the Oval Office ---- and apply his strategic and negotiating acumen to our national and global economies.

DeSantis has nothing to do with this.  But you knew that already.  Yet you continue pushing a lie.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Offline LMAO

« Reply #28 on: May 19, 2023, 12:10:04 pm »
You may want people to think that.  But only a complete idiot would.  Which is why no one here is buying the liberal bullshit you are peddling.  Even the source left-wing story you cited acknowledges that Disney's decision has zero to do with DeSantis.  Yet even after this is pointed out to you, you choose to double down on a lie.

It is Disney's economy that is paying the price - not Florida.  Which is why they are backing out.  If you click the link in the lead post, you will see that.

According to the last election results, it is crystal clear that Floridians are happy.  But you won't stand down.  You'll be back tomorrow pushing some other lie about DeSantis.  And it's not Florida paying the price.  It is Disney.  Their initial reason for the move was to save money through tax credits that would have netted Disney $570 million over the next two decades, which you would have know had you actually read the article you linked.  But they are now suffering a revenue shortage from their own stupid business decisions, making the move unaffordable.

DeSantis has nothing to do with this.  But you knew that already.  Yet you continue pushing a lie.

You should know by now that to take anything that RIV regurgitates from TruthSocial about Ron DeSantis with a massive grain of salt. It’s the result of having an emotional bond to Donald Trump and Ron DeSantis threatens that

I would have to say that her replies in this thread is where the doubt started for me

https://www.gopbriefingroom.com/index.php/topic,491284.msg2782791.html#new

So I have learned, based on her replies in this thread, that when it comes to RDS, to always question her regurgitated talking points, unless double fact checked, verified by no less than 50 people, fact checked again, and having the pope and Jesus Christ himself verify  it’s authenticity

I have little interest in streamlining government or in making it more efficient, for I mean to reduce its size. I do not undertake to promote welfare, for I propose to extend freedom. My aim is not to pass laws, but to repeal them.

Barry Goldwater

http://www.usdebtclock.org

My Avatar is my adult autistic son Tommy

Online Kamaji

« Reply #29 on: May 19, 2023, 12:23:09 pm »

:thumbsup:

Offline Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #30 on: May 19, 2023, 03:24:00 pm »
You should know by now that to take anything that RIV regurgitates from TruthSocial about Ron DeSantis with a massive grain of salt

Actually, as included in my posts, the sources are The New York Times and an interview from the Republican mayor of Miami with The Hill @LMAO

There are dozens are reports on this out on Al Gore's magnificent Internet.  Please, feel free to post one proving your side of this debate ---- whatever the heck that may be ----- is correct.

Your "shoot the messenger" strategy is tiresome.

Online Kamaji

« Reply #31 on: May 19, 2023, 03:46:39 pm »
It's pretty clear that the move on this project was done for internal Disney dynamics unrelated to DeSantis' actions; that, or Disney management must be able to see the future, because they put the project on hold - i.e., stopped spending money on it - back in 2021:

Spineless Republicans Beg DeSantis to Surrender to Disney in Pathetic Showing

By Bonchie
May 18, 2023

On Thursday, news broke that Disney had canceled an office complex project that was set to add 2,000 jobs to Florida’s economy. That was the headline at least. Of course, there was more to the story.

In reality, the project had been placed on hold back in 2021 and postponed to 2026 due to various financial concerns. When current CEO Bog Iger took back over the beleaguered entertainment company, that was the final nail in the coffin because he long thought the entire project was a terrible investment. Obviously, he’s right, as building large office buildings post-COVID is like setting money on fire. The fact that Disney has been hemorrhaging money overall didn’t help either, and nixing the entire project was an easy cost-cutting move.

Regardless, leave it to the press to suck up to Disney and misrepresent the entire situation. That’s exactly what The New York Times did by conflating Gov. Ron DeSantis’ battle with the company with the decision to cut the project. If you read deep enough, the Times reveals there’s no solid connection, but once a narrative is established, it’s hard to neutralize it.

https://twitter.com/varadmehta/status/1659276844481257472

Source:  https://redstate.com/bonchie/2023/05/18/spineless-republicans-beg-desantis-to-surrender-to-disney-in-pathetic-showing-n748269

Offline Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #32 on: May 19, 2023, 04:05:47 pm »
You may want people to think that.  But only a complete idiot would. 

Are you saying DeSantis hasn't lost control  of his battle with Disney?

Is it your opinion there's no way DeSantis should have/could have been aware of a public meeting held by Disney changing the role of the BOD right before the DeSantis changes were to take effect?  Or is it Ronny being blindsided was part of his plan?

Does your opinion also include DeSantis knew his admitted motivation for punishing Disney and subsequent, increasing bravado outlining additional punishments to come would be quoted chapter and verse in the lawsuit filed against him?

It is Disney's economy that is paying the price - not Florida.  Which is why they are backing out.

What happens when rather than not increasing staff in Florida, Disney starts cutting it?  The three main products of Florida are oranges, Disney and sunburn.  So, sure, you can damage Disney's economic bottom line ----- but, the deeper their losses, the more pain for Floridian workers, businesses.and economic development.

Not everyone agrees with you, including the Republican Mayor of Miami. I remind you of his assessment:

Miami Mayor Francis Suarez (R) blasted Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis (R) for his “personal vendetta” with Disney, saying that the yearlong feud has cost the state jobs and investments.

“Look, he took an issue that was a winning issue that we all agreed on, which was parental rights for K through third-graders,” Suarez told NewsNation’s Blake Burman on “The Hill.” “And it looks like now it’s something that spite or maybe potentially a personal vendetta, which has cost the state now potentially 2,000 jobs in a billion-dollar investment.”

"I mean, that’s the kind of stuff that Joe Biden does, you know, he canceled the Keystone pipeline and other pipelines out of spite that cost Americans 42,000 jobs,” Suarez said, speaking of DeSantis. "And you know, one thing that he has in common with the president is he hasn’t spent much time in the private sector. And I wonder if that influences his thinking on some of this stuff.”

More:
https://thehill.com/homenews/state-watch/4011492-miami-mayor-says-desantis-personal-vendetta-with-disney-is-costing-state/

Offline DefiantMassRINO

« Reply #33 on: May 19, 2023, 04:27:32 pm »
Disney pulled the plug because it was a bad business decision.  DeSantis inadvertantly gave Disney executives cover for their bad business acumen.
Self-Anointed Deplorable Expert Chowderhead Pundit
I reserve my God-given rights to be wrong and to be stupid at all times.

"If at first you don’t succeed, destroy all evidence that you tried." - Steven Wright

Comrades, I swear on Trump's soul that I am not working from a CIA troll farm in Kiev.

Online Kamaji

« Reply #34 on: May 19, 2023, 05:09:21 pm »
Disney pulled the plug because it was a bad business decision.  DeSantis inadvertantly gave Disney executives cover for their bad business acumen.

Since they had already put the entire project on hold in 2021, the only way DeSantis is giving them cover is if people gin up a false narrative that supplies that cover.  Otherwise, the facts themselves - stubborn things they - demonstrate that there is no correlation between the two.

Online roamer_1

« Reply #35 on: May 19, 2023, 05:11:19 pm »
Since they had already put the entire project on hold in 2021, the only way DeSantis is giving them cover is if people gin up a false narrative that supplies that cover.  Otherwise, the facts themselves - stubborn things they - demonstrate that there is no correlation between the two.

Yeah... Other than Iger talking smack.

Offline Timber Rattler

• Conservative Purist and Patriot
« Reply #36 on: May 19, 2023, 05:21:24 pm »
The MSM is trying awfully hard to make Disney's announcement political, to generate stories about the mouse vs DeSantis. 

However, the truth is that this is the latest of a string of bad news stories for Disney this week on the economic front. 

Following Iger's recent cuts and layoffs, Disney announced that its closing its brand new Star Wars themed hotel complex (https://www.forbes.com/sites/suzannerowankelleher/2023/05/19/disney-closing-star-wars-hotel/?sh=3f939b9d1288) and the new Indian Jones flick apparently was apparently underwhelming at Cannes last night (https://variety.com/2023/film/news/indiana-jones-5-cannes-standing-ovation-harrison-ford-1235615678/).

And this happened yesterday:

https://deadline.com/2023/05/disney-remove-series-streaming-disney-plus-hulu-big-shot-willow-y-dollface-turner-hooch-pistol-1235372512/

So my guess is that the mouse simply couldn't afford the new development on top of all this bad news. 

Go woke, go broke!
aka "nasty degenerate SOB," "worst of the worst at Free Republic," "Garbage Troll," "Neocon Warmonger," "Filthy Piece of Trash," "damn $#%$#@!," "Silly f'er," "POS," "war pig," "neocon scumbag," "insignificant little ankle nipper," "@ss-clown," "neocuck," "termite," "Uniparty Deep stater," "Never Trump sack of dog feces," "avid Bidenista," "filthy Ukrainian," "war whore," "fricking chump," psychopathic POS, and depraved SOB.

"In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act."  ---George Orwell

"If you want peace, prepare for war." ---Flavius Vegetius Renatus

Offline cato potatoe

« Reply #37 on: May 19, 2023, 05:39:06 pm »

They would have “punished” Florida even if DeSantis let them keep their corrupt local government.  Just look at MLB and the all star game debacle.  Conservatives have lost the culture war for decades out of deference to large corporations.  It has to stop.

Offline DefiantMassRINO

« Reply #38 on: May 19, 2023, 05:43:02 pm »
In a society founded upon Freedom of Thought, Freedom of Speech, Freedom of Worship, and individual Liberty, how can any side in the culture wars declare victory without instituting a totalitarian Government?

"If at first you don’t succeed, destroy all evidence that you tried." - Steven Wright

Comrades, I swear on Trump's soul that I am not working from a CIA troll farm in Kiev.

Online libertybele

« Reply #39 on: May 19, 2023, 05:49:46 pm »
I have to hand it to DeSantis.  He's standing on his conservative principles and morals regardless if it's popular with the woke crowd.

Will it cost him the WH??  We shall see.
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Online roamer_1

« Reply #40 on: May 19, 2023, 05:52:32 pm »
I have to hand it to DeSantis.  He's standing on his conservative principles and morals regardless if it's popular with the woke crowd.

Will it cost him the WH??  We shall see.

LOTS of pressure. He ain't moved an inch.
I like that.

Online libertybele

« Reply #41 on: May 19, 2023, 05:57:25 pm »
LOTS of pressure. He ain't moved an inch.
I like that.

He's holding steady.  Hopefully any negativity thrown at him will only strengthen his resolve.
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Online Kamaji

« Reply #42 on: May 19, 2023, 05:59:01 pm »
They would have “punished” Florida even if DeSantis let them keep their corrupt local government.  Just look at MLB and the all star game debacle.  Conservatives have lost the culture war for decades out of deference to large corporations.  It has to stop.

Online Kamaji

« Reply #43 on: May 19, 2023, 06:00:00 pm »
In a society founded upon Freedom of Thought, Freedom of Speech, Freedom of Worship, and individual Liberty, how can any side in the culture wars declare victory without instituting a totalitarian Government?

Uh, yeah.  Removing quasi-governmental powers from a private for-profit organization is "instituting a totalitarian Government".  Not sure that computes.

Offline DefiantMassRINO

« Reply #44 on: May 19, 2023, 06:11:43 pm »
It was the People's elected representatives who delegated quasi-governmental powers to a private for-profit organization in return for private investment of $billions$ in Florida swampland and orange groves.

Uh, yeah.  Removing quasi-governmental powers from a private for-profit organization is "instituting a totalitarian Government".  Not sure that computes.

Online Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #45 on: May 19, 2023, 06:20:48 pm »

And it gives Trump supporters an opportunity to post Topics just to bash DeSantis.  I did not fail to note who posted this one.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2023, 06:27:38 pm by Cyber Liberty »
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Online Kamaji

« Reply #46 on: May 19, 2023, 06:23:23 pm »
And it gives Trump supporters an opportunity to post Topics just to bash DeSantis.  I did not fail to note who posted this one.

Online roamer_1

« Reply #47 on: May 19, 2023, 06:25:59 pm »
It was the People's elected representatives who delegated quasi-governmental powers to a private for-profit organization in return for private investment of $billions$ in Florida swampland and orange groves.

And it was the Peoples' elected representatives who rescinded those extraordinary quasi-governmental powers when they felt they were abused.

I cannot believe that folks are defending this plantation.

Offline cato potatoe

« Reply #48 on: May 19, 2023, 06:27:05 pm »

That was before Disney reneged on their plan to build the "city of tomorrow" and instead built an amusement park.  Disney abused its powers by remaining in control of the district, and the legislature never had the courage to address it until now.  In an effort to avoid democracy, Reedy Creek de-annexed a planned residential community known as Celebration.

Online Kamaji

« Reply #49 on: May 19, 2023, 06:27:59 pm »

And now that they can see that it was a poor deal, they are rescinding those quasi-governmental powers because they have been abused by the company to which they were granted.

So what?