Author Topic: ND Gov Doug Burgum moving toward 2024 Republican presidential run  (Read 697 times)

Online mountaineer

I know you all have been waiting for this moment:
North Dakota Gov Doug Burgum moving toward 2024 Republican presidential run
Published May 18, 2023 12:16pm EDT
By Paul Steinhauser | Fox News

FIRST ON FOX: Two-term North Dakota Gov. Doug Burgum, a former software company CEO, may soon jump into the burgeoning race for the 2024 Republican presidential nomination.

Burgum is moving closer to making a decision on declaring his candidacy for the White House. He is currently shooting TV ads in preparation for a potential launch, sources with knowledge of the governor’s thinking told Fox News Thursday.

CBS News reported earlier Thursday that Burgum had begun working with political consultants with presidential campaign experience.

If Burgum, who is not known well outside of North Dakota, does launch a 2024 campaign, he would be considered a dark-horse contender in a field of actual and expected candidates with much higher name identification — including the current clear front-runner former President Trump, Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis, former Vice President Mike Pence, former ambassador and former South Carolina Gov. Nikki Haley and South Carolina Sen. Tim Scott.  ...

Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline libertybele

Re: ND Gov Doug Burgum moving toward 2024 Republican presidential run
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2023, 09:01:45 pm »
I know you all have been waiting for this moment:

My prediction right now; GOP nominee - DeSantis, runner up - Trump, and then Tim Scott.  All the others; just not going to happen for them.
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2023, 10:19:28 pm »
Who?

This brought to mind an old, old record album of the 1960's by Frank Zappa and The Mothers of Invention:
"We're only in it for the money" ...

Offline Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2023, 10:33:20 pm »
Two-term North Dakota Gov. Doug Burgum, a former software company CEO, may soon jump into the burgeoning race for the 2024 Republican presidential nomination.

Youngkin just released a video that stops short of declaring his candidacy.  Interesting change in debate dynamics for DeSantis if any of this pans out.

Online roamer_1

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Online roamer_1

« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2023, 01:12:16 am »
Yep.

?

First I have heard of it.

Will you endorse him?
You know him better than I do.

Conservative?

Offline Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2023, 01:17:49 am »
 :pondering:

Alex Bruesewitz
@alexbruesewitz

With DeSantis getting weaker each day, more and more people are considering jumping in to challenge Trump.

The 2024 GOP primary will be so unnecessarily expensive & stupid. GOP candidates & donors should unite around Trump like the Republican voters are. But doesn’t look like that’s going to happen. Trump will crush the gop field and then go on to defeat Biden.

Trump 2024.

11:16 AM · May 18, 2023

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2023, 01:30:12 am »
Will you endorse him?
You know him better than I do.

Conservative?
Somewhat. Not hard Right, but not down to the level of a moderate. Has a 60% approval rating, and ran in spite of the GOPe in the state, using his own money. Closer to De Santis than Trump, in his track record. For insight, read his reply while vetoing portions of the Office of Management and Budget Appropriations Bill. https://www.governor.nd.gov/sites/www/files/documents/Senate%20Bill%202015%20veto%20message.pdf There is some evidence of fiscal responsibility, there, but as Governor, he has the ability to veto sections of a Bill here, and not the whole thing. That would be denied him by the current Federal setup.

On the down side, he vetoed bills which would have forbid transgender participation in sports other than under the auspices of the birth sex of the competitor (citing that this is not a problem in the state), and which would have forbid the use of chosen pronouns instead of those which reflected the sex of a child in schools.
He also vetoed a bill which would have prohibited ranked choice voting in the State, and a school voucher bill.

Now, those are four issues I would have liked to seen codified, but were vetoed.

He's a mixed bag, imho.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2023, 01:46:21 am by Smokin Joe »

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Online mountaineer

« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2023, 01:41:50 am »
Alex Breusewitz is delusional.

Online roamer_1

« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2023, 02:11:51 am »
Somewhat. Not hard Right, but not down to the level of a moderate. Has a 60% approval rating, and ran in spite of the GOPe in the state, using his own money. Closer to De Santis than Trump, in his track record. For insight, read his reply while vetoing portions of the Office of Management and Budget Appropriations Bill. https://www.governor.nd.gov/sites/www/files/documents/Senate%20Bill%202015%20veto%20message.pdf There is some evidence of fiscal responsibility, there, but as Governor, he has the ability to veto sections of a Bill here, and not the whole thing. That would be denied him by the current Federal setup.

On the down side, he vetoed bills which would have forbid transgender participation in sports other than under the auspices of the birth sex of the competitor (citing that this is not a problem in the state), and which would have forbid the use of chosen pronouns instead of those which reflected the sex of a child in schools.
He also vetoed a bill which would have prohibited ranked choice voting in the State, and a school voucher bill.

Now, those are four issues I would have liked to seen codified, but were vetoed.

He's a mixed bag, imho.

A big fat meh. Thanks for that. Won't vote for compelled speech in the tranny thing so NOPE.

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2023, 02:50:33 am »
A big fat meh. Thanks for that. Won't vote for compelled speech in the tranny thing so NOPE.
It isn't compelled, it just isn't forbidden.

C S Lewis

Offline deb

• Sinner saved by grace.
« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2023, 11:44:11 am »
I didn’t vote for him for governor and I sure wouldn’t want him inflicting his version of “conservative” on the entire country. Barf.
For all you've given Lord, I stand amazed.
Salvation covers me, forever changed!
In all I could not be, You met every need!
My sin, my broken life, Your cross, Your sacrifice
My hopelessness, my shame, Your faithfulness,  Your grace
The greatest mystery, Your awesome love for me.

Online kevindavis007

« Reply #13 on: May 19, 2023, 12:02:41 pm »
Who?
Join The Reagan Caucus: https://reagancaucus.org/

Online roamer_1

« Reply #14 on: May 19, 2023, 02:13:38 pm »
I didn’t vote for him for governor and I sure wouldn’t want him inflicting his version of “conservative” on the entire country. Barf.

Well that makes TWO unflattering NODAK citizen reports...
and two that I trust more than most.

:seeya:

Offline deb

• Sinner saved by grace.
« Reply #15 on: May 19, 2023, 02:15:24 pm »
Well that makes TWO unflattering NODAK citizen reports...
and two that I trust more than most.

:seeya:

I mainly don’t trust him because of his close ties to Bill Gates.
For all you've given Lord, I stand amazed.
Salvation covers me, forever changed!
In all I could not be, You met every need!
My sin, my broken life, Your cross, Your sacrifice
My hopelessness, my shame, Your faithfulness,  Your grace
The greatest mystery, Your awesome love for me.

Online roamer_1

« Reply #16 on: May 19, 2023, 02:27:19 pm »

Well there you go... ~ZERO~ chance of me voting for that... Birds of a feather and all...

Online mountaineer

« Reply #17 on: May 19, 2023, 06:30:56 pm »
Good reason.

Offline libertybele

« Reply #18 on: May 19, 2023, 06:35:49 pm »

Thanks for the info @debrawiest
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.