Author Topic: FACTS ARE STUBBORN THINGS: THE DANGERS OF A PROTRACTED WAR WITH CHINA  (Read 127 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
FACTS ARE STUBBORN THINGS: THE DANGERS OF A PROTRACTED WAR WITH CHINA
Posted byJohn Mauk
April 27, 2023

Wargames are useful to assess possible outcomes and develop strategies, but this particular outcome is optimistic at best and is underpinned by flawed assumptions.

Uncomfortable facts often get in the way of what we want to be true. Such is the case of the United States’ capacity to defeat China in a prolonged conflict. Recent wargame findings assert that the United States could fight an invasion of Taiwan to a stalemate. Wargames are useful to assess possible outcomes and develop strategies, but this particular outcome is optimistic at best and is underpinned by flawed assumptions. In reality, any conflict over Taiwan will almost certainly be a prolonged war that favors China.

As the United States and the West push back against Chinese violations of international law and its economic coercion, U.S.-China trade conflict has grown exponentially with both the U.S. and  Chinese governments becoming increasingly confrontational. U.S. actions to deny China access to sophisticated microchip technology amplify Chinese claims over Taiwan, the world’s biggest microchip manufacturer. China’s declared intent to reunify with Taiwan by force if necessary fuels further confrontation. Russia’s invasion of Ukraine has only added more incentive for the United States and Taiwan to bolster the latter’s self-defense capacity. Predictably, this evokes Chinese anger and increases the prospect that China might attack Taiwan. The most likely scenarios indicate China’s doing so would very likely precipitate a world war that would not end quickly.

https://warroom.armywarcollege.edu/articles/stubborn-things/
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline DefiantMassRINO

I don't want a protracted war with China.  I don't want any war with China.

I just want America to diversify its supply chains to be less reliant on China, so it cannot be used as diplomatic, economic, and military leverage against the US.

If the US is to deal with China from a position of strength, we need to confront the reality that is folly to make the US dependent upon a potentially hostile totalitarian Communist dictatorship for goods and Government debt financing.

The Free Trade / WTO experiment with China was there was hope that having a more open economy would eventually lead to a more open society and government.  That experiment has failed.  It's time to realize the China is not a trustworthy trading partner with the US, just as Russia is not a trustworthy trading partner with Europe.

Also, the Globalist Free Trade folks need to realize the nations subjected to foreign colonization, such as China and India, will never completely open their economies to American and European corporations, goods, and services.  Both China and India will encourage initial foreign investment to catch up economically and technologically, but, they will favor domestic producers over foreign ones.

The Globalist Free Trade experiment has not worked out as hoped.  It's time America pursued a trade expansion policy with trustworthy and friendly nations and economies that advantages all parties equally.
"It doesn't matter what temperature the room is, it's always room temperature." - Steven Wright