Author Topic: 18 Month Investigation Finds Trafficking and Exploitation in H-2A Program  (Read 139 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
18 Month Investigation Finds Trafficking and Exploitation in H-2A Program

PUBLISHED:  Tue, MAY 16th 2023 @ 12:00 pm EDT  by  Jared Culver

An 18-month investigation by Prism, Futuro Investigates, and Latino USA, is the latest to find horrific abuse throughout the H-2A agricultural temporary worker program. The H-2A visa includes extensive labor protections concerning wages, recruitment, working conditions, and housing, with multiple Federal departments playing a role in approval and oversight. And yet, the stories of abuse are as numerous as the regulations and Federal staff designed to stop it.

The Prism investigation opens with a story of trafficked H-2A workers that is corroborated by anyone who has followed the avalanche of abuse stories in the program:

But shortly after arriving in the U.S. as H-2A workers, Diego and Mario found themselves starving, scared, and plotting their escape from the very jobs they staked their families' futures on. In part, this is why they are using pseudonyms. Not only are they immigrant victims of trafficking, but pursuing justice has proven dangerous. The man who recruited them into the H-2A program in southern Mexico threatened Mario's wife."

Squalid conditions, physical threats, and crippling fear often come up when you listen to the foreign workers who the H-2A program is supposed to be protecting. The abusive employers, mind you, are the same ones decrying worker shortages and demanding more cannon fodder. And they are supported by willing dupes in Congress, including Rep. John Duarte and Rep. Zoe Lofgren.

https://www.numbersusa.com/blog/18-month-investigation-finds-trafficking-and-exploitation-h-2a-program
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline DefiantMassRINO

If H-2A is anything like H-1B, the migrants are indentured to their employers to maintain their legal immigration status.  The employer can use the threat of withdrawal of imigration sponsorship - real, imaginary, implied, understood, or explicit - to exploit the workers.
"It doesn't matter what temperature the room is, it's always room temperature." - Steven Wright