Author Topic: Microbes discovered that can digest plastics at low temperatures  (Read 137 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Microbes discovered that can digest plastics at low temperatures
Scientists have found microbes that can do this at 15C, in a potential breakthrough for recycling

Helena Horton Environment reporter
Wed 10 May 2023 00.00 EDT
Microbes that can digest plastics at low temperatures have been discovered by scientists in the Alps and the Arctic, which could be a valuable tool in recycling.

Many microorganisms that can do this have already been found, but they can usually only work at temperatures above 30C (86F). This means that using them in industrial practice is prohibitively expensive because of the heating required. It also means using them is not carbon neutral.

Scientists from the Swiss Federal Institute WSL have found microbes that can do this at 15C, which could lead to a breakthrough in microbial recycling. Their findings have been published in the journal Frontiers in Microbiology.

Dr Joel RĂ¼thi from WSL and colleagues sampled 19 strains of bacteria and 15 of fungi growing on free-lying or intentionally buried plastic kept in the ground for one year in Greenland, Svalbard and Switzerland. They let the microbes grow as single-strain cultures in the laboratory in darkness at 15C and tested them to see if they could digest different types of plastic.

https://www.theguardian.com/science/2023/may/10/microbes-digest-plastics-low-temperatures-recycling
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson