Author Topic: NYC ‘considering’ housing migrants on Rikers Island as ‘last ditch site’  (Read 622 times)

Offline Kamaji

NYC ‘considering’ housing migrants on Rikers Island as ‘last ditch site’: sources

By Bernadette Hogan, Kevin Sheehan, Larry Celona and Emily Crane
May 17, 2023

The Big Apple is “considering” a plan to house migrants at Rikers Island, sources told The Post Wednesday — as Mayor Eric Adams revealed nearly 50% of the city’s hotel rooms are occupied by asylum seekers amid the surging crisis.

City officials toured the notorious jail last week as the Adams administration weighs whether to shelter asylum seekers there, according to two people familiar with the potential plan.

Another source added that officials were suggesting Rikers as a “last-ditch site” to house migrants as the city struggles with the ongoing influx of asylum seekers.

Hizzoner on Wednesday wouldn’t confirm the Rikers proposal, insisting instead, “We are looking at everything.”

“As we roll out what we were doing, we will announce. But right now everything, I tell the team every morning at 8 a.m., we are looking at everything.”

Source:  https://nypost.com/2023/05/17/nyc-considering-rikers-island-to-house-migrants-sources/

Offline Kamaji

Finally, a half-way sensible idea.  Put 'em there, and then leave them there.  They only get off Rikers if they agree to go back home.

Online bigheadfred

• One day Closer
Finally, a half-way sensible idea.  Put 'em there, and then leave them there.  They only get off Rikers if they agree to go back home.

I would amend that to they only get off Rikers when they get their azzes shipped home. Agreeing or disagreeing mattereth not.

She asked me name my foe then. I said the need within some men to fight and kill their brothers without thought of Love or God. Ken Hensley

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
The lawyers are already salivating so loudly I can hear them from hundreds of miles away.
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline PeteS in CA

Nice to see a “sanctuary” city having to deal with the experience border cities and towns have had to deal with more or less daily, continually, for 2 or 3 decades.
If, as anti-Covid-vaxxers claim, https://www.poynter.org/fact-checking/2021/robert-f-kennedy-jr-said-the-covid-19-vaccine-is-the-deadliest-vaccine-ever-made-thats-not-true/ , https://gospelnewsnetwork.org/2021/11/23/covid-shots-are-the-deadliest-vaccines-in-medical-history/ , The Vaccine is deadly, where in the US have Pfizer and Moderna hidden the millions of bodies of those who died of "vaccine injury"? Is reality a Big Pharma Shill?

Millions now living should have died. Anti-Covid-Vaxxer ghouls hardest hit.

Online mountaineer

Yeah, sure. Rikers Island is the place to be.
NYC inmates overdosing at record pace as fentanyl finds ways into jails
By Jacob Geanous   
May 27, 2023

Treated drug overdoses are on a record pace in New York City jails this year, even as corrections officials boost efforts to stop fentanyl from being smuggled in.

Nearly 150 suspected overdoses were treated with Narcan, which counteracts the effects of opioids, between January and April, putting the jail system on a trajectory that would see over 400 overdoses in a year for the first time in history, according to a Correctional Health Services report.

The Department of Corrections has said fentanyl is coming in through the mail, in drug-soaked cards, letters, and even a book, from which inmates tore pages to smoke or ingest.

If the rate of treated overdoses continues as it has, it will roughly double the yearly total for 2020, when Narcan was administered to 220 inmates. ...
NY Post
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline Kamaji

Yeah, sure. Rikers Island is the place to be.NY Post

Well, that's one way to clear out the overcrowding at Rikers.

Online mountaineer

Yep.  :shrug:
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
I would have thought Hart Island would be the 'last ditch' site...
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
NYC inmates overdosing at record pace as fentanyl finds ways into jails

WOW!

To show you how out of touch I am,I didn't even know that fentanyl even had a drivers license,never mind a jail pass!

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits

@Kamaji

BTW,is Rikers a jail or a prison?