Author Topic: Researchers use AI to understand Alzheimer's disease, identify drug targets  (Read 324 times)

Offline libertybele

Researchers use AI to understand Alzheimer's disease, identify drug targets

A team of researchers from the University of Arizona and institutions across the country are using artificial intelligence to hopefully pinpoint the cause of Alzheimer's disease and potential drug targets.

Led by Dr. Rui Chang, an associate professor of neurology at the University of Arizona College of Medicine, the study's authors have looked into the brain to map molecular changes that healthy neurons undergo as the disease progresses.

The work was published in the journal Nature Communications Biology.

Using tissue samples from more than 2,000 brains impacted by the disease that were taken from a national database, Chang’s AI algorithm drew from information about genetic and molecular processes. That method returned what the university said in a release was a "computational network model" of the human brain. ..............

https://www.foxnews.com/tech/researchers-ai-alzheimers-disease-identify-drug-targets
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline berdie

AI, to me, is a duel edged sword. Could be very good, could be very bad.

It would be a wonderful thing if they could cure Alzheimers and AI is used for a good purpose. It's probably one of the most heart breaking diseases there is. I don't know if it is more prevalent now. People used to die younger.

Offline libertybele

AI, to me, is a duel edged sword. Could be very good, could be very bad.

It would be a wonderful thing if they could cure Alzheimers and AI is used for a good purpose. It's probably one of the most heart breaking diseases there is. I don't know if it is more prevalent now. People used to die younger.

Yes I see AI as a dual edge sword as well.  How many jobs is it going to cost?  I've read that AI will replace even doctors, nurses and surgeons. When AI is able to replicate itself and teach itself new tasks, we are in trouble.  It will override our intelligence and most every aspect of our lives.  Militarily it could overtake our own army, navy, air force and marines. 

So what is left for every day people to do as far as jobs -- certainly everyone can't go into AI, especially when AI will surpass human intelligence.

Finding cures for cancer, Alzheimers, Parkinsons, and other diseases is obviously a plus, but at this point in time I see a dangerous downside. AI will be able to know what we are thinking and react before we get a chance.

Do we really want to go down that slippery slope??

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline berdie

Yep. In the Industrial Age people left farms and went to work in factories. There will be no option like that in today's world.

The free will we were given might just bite us in the fanny.

Offline libertybele

Yep. In the Industrial Age people left farms and went to work in factories. There will be no option like that in today's world.

The free will we were given might just bite us in the fanny.

So who and how are they going to limit AI?  A couple of years ago it was announced that AI intelligence was able to teach itself to play chess.  So AI intelligence is already teaching and replicating itself.  What happens when AI becomes more intelligent than humans?

I remember as a young adult watching the sci-fi movies where people were invaded by robots or cloned people.  Well, that could very easily become reality.  If robots are able to replicate -- there will be no stopping them.  Maybe attacking with some type of weaponry; however they'll be able to determine our next moves.  Eerie and frightening.