Author Topic: Supreme Court allows Illinois 'assault weapons' ban to take effect  (Read 759 times)

Online libertybele

I posted in "Illinois" thread as well ...  This is not good news.

Supreme Court allows Illinois 'assault weapons' ban to take effect

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/supreme-court-allows-illinois-assault-weapons-ban-take-effect
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
Re: Supreme Court allows Illinois 'assault weapons' ban to take effect
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2023, 09:25:10 pm »
Unless I have read it incorrectly,the SC did NOT "allow a ban to take  effect". This is a TEMPORARY condition that does allow the ban to take effect until the suits have wound their way through the courts.

What should be interesting is the law suits from people whose family members were unarmed and unable to protect themselves from fatal criminal attacks while this  was in place. Truth to tell,MY biggest fear is that the courts will agree to make it permanent in order to prevent these lawsuits from happening.

Then again,I am not a lawyur and don't even play one on tb,so I might be wrong about it all.
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline Kamaji

« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2023, 09:32:42 pm »
Unless I have read it incorrectly,the SC did NOT "allow a ban to take  effect". This is a TEMPORARY condition that does allow the ban to take effect until the suits have wound their way through the courts.

What should be interesting is the law suits from people whose family members were unarmed and unable to protect themselves from fatal criminal attacks while this  was in place. Truth to tell,MY biggest fear is that the courts will agree to make it permanent in order to prevent these lawsuits from happening.

Then again,I am not a lawyur and don't even play one on tb,so I might be wrong about it all.

I believe you read it correctly.

Online libertybele

« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2023, 09:39:55 pm »

Yes I get that, they ruled that the ban will remain in effect while the lower courts decide the constitutional status.

So, if the highest court in the land is going to rule the ban to remain in effect; how do you think the lower courts in liberal Illinois are going to rule??? And IF it goes back to SCOTUS, they've already ruled for the ban to remain. So, doubtful they would rule against the ban remaining.  That is at least how I'm seeing it.  The ban is pretty much a done deal.
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline Timber Rattler

• Conservative Purist and Patriot
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2023, 09:42:20 pm »
It's a process ruling.  Roberts for a while now has signaled that he's tired of special interest groups by-passing the lower courts and running immediately to the SCOTUS for injunctions against whatever law or policy they are opposing.  SCOTUS is showing deference to the Federal District and Appeals Courts, and requiring "due process" to run its course through them first before reaching the high court.
aka "nasty degenerate SOB," "worst of the worst at Free Republic," "Garbage Troll," "Neocon Warmonger," "Filthy Piece of Trash," "damn $#%$#@!," "Silly f'er," "POS," "war pig," "neocon scumbag," "insignificant little ankle nipper," "@ss-clown," "neocuck," "termite," "Uniparty Deep stater," "Never Trump sack of dog feces," "avid Bidenista," "filthy Ukrainian," "war whore," "fricking chump," psychopathic POS, and depraved SOB.

"In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act."  ---George Orwell

"If you want peace, prepare for war." ---Flavius Vegetius Renatus

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2023, 09:48:52 pm »
Yes I get that, they ruled that the ban will remain in effect while the lower courts decide the constitutional status.

So, if the highest court in the land is going to rule the ban to remain in effect; how do you think the lower courts in liberal Illinois are going to rule??? And IF it goes back to SCOTUS, they've already ruled for the ban to remain. So, doubtful they would rule against the ban remaining.  That is at least how I'm seeing it.  The ban is pretty much a done deal.

@libertybele

I am afraid you are probably right,but it costs nothing to remain optimistic.
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline Kamaji

« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2023, 10:31:02 pm »

Not at all.  The Court ruled on a procedural point, not on the merits, and since the merits weren’t briefed, it will review the merits with a fresh eye if and when they get to the Court in due course.

Offline verga

« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2023, 03:20:27 pm »
 :bkmk:
In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
�More than any other time in history, mankind faces a crossroads. One path leads to despair and utter hopelessness. The other, to total extinction. Let us pray we have the wisdom to choose correctly.�-Woody Allen
If God invented marathons to keep people from doing anything more stupid, the triathlon must have taken him completely by surprise.

Online GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2023, 04:27:41 pm »
7th Circuit Court of Appeals Orders Expedited Review in IL ‘Assault’ Weapons & Large Mag Ban

U.S.A. — In a recent development concerning the Second Amendment, the Seventh Circuit Court of Appeals in Chicago, Illinois, has issued a significant order in the now-enjoined cases against the Illinois “assault” weapons ban and large-capacity magazines. This is a significant moment for firearm rights advocates nationwide, potentially setting a significant precedent in the gun control debate. Mark Smith, a Constitutional attorney and member of the United States Supreme Court bar, covered this story in depth in a video embedded above.

https://www.ammoland.com/2023/05/7th-circuit-court-of-appeals-orders-expedited-review-in-il-assault-weapons-large-mag-ban/?ct=t(RSS_EMAIL_CAMPAIGN)