Author Topic: Hunter Biden probe purge may be unprecedented, ex-IRS criminal chief says  (Read 121 times)

Offline Kamaji

Hunter Biden probe purge may be unprecedented, ex-IRS criminal chief says

By Steven Nelson
May 16, 2023

WASHINGTON — The former chief of the IRS’s criminal division said Tuesday that he was “not aware” of an instance like the tax agency’s removal of the investigative team in charge of first son Hunter Biden’s case.

John Fort, who worked at the IRS from 1991 to 2020, initially as a special agent before becoming chief of the Criminal Investigation Division in 2017, said he’s never seen anything like the purge, which was first reported Monday by The Post.

“Mr. Fort, in your time in the IRS in the investigatory division or criminal division, was there ever another instance where an entire IRS investigatory team was pulled off a tax case?” Sen. Ron Johnson (R-Wis.) asked during a Senate Finance Committee hearing.

“I’ve spent 30 — almost 30 years with IRS criminal investigation. I’m not aware of a situation such as that,” Fort replied. “But again, when I retired from the organization at the end of 2020, I was in charge of about 3,000 people, including 2,100 agents, so I can’t say with certainty whether or not that happened.”

Johnson pressed: “The fact that Justice Department has removed the entire investigatory team off of the case, that just smacks of partisanship and erodes the American people’s confidence that the IRS will be fair and impartial and administer the tax code equally.

Source:  https://nypost.com/2023/05/16/hunter-biden-irs-probe-purge-may-be-unprecedented-john-fort/