Author Topic: 'My truck won't move:' Are truckers boycotting Florida over DeSantis' new immigration law?  (Read 1106 times)

Online libertybele

Some backlash.  However I firmly stand by DeSantis' new law requiring e-verify.  He's merely attempting to curtail the influx of ILLEGALS and they negative impact they're having on this counry.

'My truck won't move:' Are truckers boycotting Florida over DeSantis' new immigration law?

Truck drivers called for boycotts over the weekend against Florida's tough new penalties and restrictions on undocumented immigrants in the state, which include requiring employers to verify if workers are authorized to work in the United States.

Social media "exploded" with reports of Latino truck drivers threatening to stop delivering to and in Florida, according to independent journalist Arturo Dominguez.

"Don't enter Florida," one trucker said in a TikTok video.

“My truck will not be going to Florida at all. I’m pretty sure we can all come together as a Latino community and boycott Florida as a whole because what they are doing to our brothers and sisters out there is not fair,” a truck driver said in another TikTok video.

Florida's new immigration law requires businesses with more than 25 employees to use E-Verify. The web-based, federal system allows enrolled employers to determine if their employees are legally authorized to work in the United States. It also invalidates identification cards issued in other states that are held by people who live in the country illegally.

The new law, which was signed by Gov. Ron DeSantis Wednesday, will take effect July 1.............

Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Online Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
Don't believe it for a second.  White liberal made up shit and putting a Latino face on it.  I bet Trump is behind it!
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Offline cato potatoe

Good.  Send the truckloads of illegals to some other state.

Offline Kamaji

That'll last right up until the question is driving the truck or letting the bank take it.

Online roamer_1

Don't believe it for a second.  White liberal made up shit and putting a Latino face on it.  I bet Trump is behind it!

Whoever is behind it, it's silly. There are a VAST number of truckers that will happily haul freight to Florida. And most of them, MORE SO, because of this law.

Offline Kamaji

Whoever is behind it, it's silly. There are a VAST number of truckers that will happily haul freight to Florida. And most of them, MORE SO, because of this law.

Exactly.

Online libertybele

:yowsa:  I think you are absolutely correct.
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Online Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
FACT FOCUS: Videos of empty store aisles are unrelated to Florida’s immigration bill

https://news.yahoo.com/fact-focus-videos-empty-store-004540964.html

A sweeping immigration bill recently signed into law by Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis is sparking fears of deserted workplaces – and barren grocery shelves.

The new law, set to take effect in July, will require businesses with more than 25 staffers to verify that their employees can legally work in the U.S. through a federal system, among other restrictions. Critics have said the change could lead to a shortage of workers on farms and construction sites.

Amid outcry, a pair of videos circulating widely on social media are claiming to show empty supermarkets in the Sunshine State, purportedly due to truck drivers boycotting deliveries to the state in protest of the immigration overhaul.

But the footage is unrelated. And while some truckers have posted on social media calling on drivers to curb deliveries to Florida, immigration advocates say it’s too soon to tell if there will be any widespread action.

Here are the facts.

Offline DefiantMassRINO

... requiring employers to verify if workers are authorized to work in the United States.

DeSantis is just having the state enforce what is already part of the Federal Code of Law.

Employer verification of workers' legal employment status was a key provision of the 1986/1987 Immigration Reform Act.

The Federal Government just refuses to enforce its own laws.
Self-Anointed Deplorable Expert Chowderhead Pundit

I reserve my God-given rights to be wrong and to be stupid at all times.
"If at first you don’t succeed, destroy all evidence that you tried." - Steven Wright

Online Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
Its pretty bad when Yahoo/AP tears up an obvious liberal lie.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2023, 03:25:21 pm by Cyber Liberty »
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Online DB

So a Tik-Toc video is now a news source eh?

Online Wingnut

Its pretty bad when Yahoo/AP tears up an obvious liberal lie.
Who ever fact checked it is surely out of a job!

Offline GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
... requiring employers to verify if workers are authorized to work in the United States.

DeSantis is just having the state enforce what is already part of the Federal Code of Law.

Employer verification of workers' legal employment status was a key provision of the 1986/1987 Immigration Reform Act.

The Federal Government just refuses to enforce its own laws.
Yup, I remember having to submit I-9's for every hire with the threat of fines for any errors. We were all instantly made document experts but apparently the time came when those in power just didn't give a rats ass any more about illegal hires.

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
Just a PSYOP.

It could be fun to start internet rumors....but this crap is just more crap claiming that greedy capitalists (as if there are no greedy Marxists) are the reason that illegals are necessary because no one legal will pick crops (which don't end up on the store shelves, anyway) for the money they offer.

How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline PeteS in CA

AOC’s call for trucker boycott of Florida an embarrassing flop

https://www.americanthinker.com/blog/2023/05/aocs_call_for_trucker_boycott_of_florida_an_embarrassing_flop.html

“Representative Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez has humiliated herself, apparently in the false belief that truckers care what she thinks. She took to Twitter to call for a trucker boycott of shipments to Florida because of what she terms “anti-immigrant” policies of Governor Ron DeSantis, deliberately conflating legal with illegal immigration, the target of DeSantis’s recent bill.

‘Anti-immigrant policies reap what they sow. DeSantis’ Florida is about to find that out. The US has such deep needs right now, particularly in labor. Yet policymakers (of ALL stripes) take our immigrant communities for granted. No más. Time to stop biting the hands that feed.‘“

Like Sandy has any cred with actual truckers, :silly:  :tongue2: .
If, as anti-Covid-vaxxers claim, https://www.poynter.org/fact-checking/2021/robert-f-kennedy-jr-said-the-covid-19-vaccine-is-the-deadliest-vaccine-ever-made-thats-not-true/ , https://gospelnewsnetwork.org/2021/11/23/covid-shots-are-the-deadliest-vaccines-in-medical-history/ , The Vaccine is deadly, where in the US have Pfizer and Moderna hidden the millions of bodies of those who died of "vaccine injury"? Is reality a Big Pharma Shill?

Millions now living should have died. Anti-Covid-Vaxxer ghouls hardest hit.

Online roamer_1

Like Sandy has any cred with actual truckers, :silly:  :tongue2: .

In all my life, I have never seen a liberal cause taken up by truckers.
Maybe some union crap, but otherwise, truckers like liberty. At least out here, they are very unlikely to listen to AOC or any democrat.

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
If your truck won't move, check your air pressure...
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis