Author Topic: Are Surface Warships Obsolete?  (Read 128 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Are Surface Warships Obsolete?
« on: May 16, 2023, 04:37:45 pm »
Are Surface Warships Obsolete?

More than a year on from the sinking of RFS Moskva, the flagship of the Russian Black Sea Fleet, we have few clear lessons for the naval architects who must build new fleets or the legislatures that must pay for them about the future of naval warfare.

ByRobert FarleyPublished7 hours ago

What future for surface warships?

More than a year on from the sinking of RFS Moskva, the flagship of the Russian Black Sea Fleet, we have few clear lessons for the naval architects who must build new fleets or the legislatures that must pay for them about the future of naval warfare.

Questions linger, and we don’t yet have all the answers.

Futurists consistently overpredicted the end of the surface ship over the 20th century. The submarine, then the aircraft, then the nuclear weapons were supposed to spell the end of surface warships. Submarines proved to be a serious but manageable threat, aircraft became part of a warship’s toolset, and against nukes warships were fortunately never tested in real combat.

But simply because critics of surface vessels have been wrong in the past does not mean they’ll always be wrong in the future.

https://www.19fortyfive.com/2023/05/are-surface-warships-obsolete/
« Last Edit: May 16, 2023, 04:39:12 pm by rangerrebew »
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Re: Are Surface Warships Obsolete?
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2023, 04:40:04 pm »
Hell, yes!  Their carbon footprints are just awful! :silly:
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline Kamaji

Re: Are Surface Warships Obsolete?
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2023, 04:49:50 pm »
Nukes basically make everything other than a deep, deep subterranean bunker obsolete, so the existence of nukes is not, per se, a strike against surface ships.