Author Topic: Push to refill US weapon reserves could strain hypersonic production  (Read 92 times)

Online rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Push to refill US weapon reserves could strain hypersonic production
By Courtney Albon
 May 15, 03:08 PM

WASHINGTON — Demand for munitions to support Ukraine’s fight against Russia — and the resulting need to backfill U.S. weapons stockpiles – could put a significant strain on the industrial base as the Pentagon works to transition its first hypersonic weapons programs from development to production in the coming years.

Defense officials see hypersonic weapons, which can travel and maneuver at speeds of at least Mach 5, as a gamechanger in future conflicts, designating the technology a “critical” focus area. The U.S. Department of Defense has 10 unclassified programs in development, the first of which — the Army’s Long Range Hypersonic Weapon — could field as soon as this year.

A report from the National Defense Industrial Association, released May 11, emphasizes that the shift from developing and testing hypersonic technology to fielding weapons in high numbers will require targeted funding from the Pentagon and a focused effort on shoring up the supply bases.

https://www.defensenews.com/battlefield-tech/2023/05/15/push-to-refill-us-weapon-reserves-could-strain-hypersonic-production/
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson