Author Topic: NYC subways have ‘alarmingly high’ pollution levels, study finds  (Read 144 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
NYC subways have ‘alarmingly high’ pollution levels, study finds
By Jacob Geanous
May 13, 2023 11:34am  Updated

Scientists have found “alarmingly high” concentrations of potentially toxic particles in the air in New York City subway stations.

New York University researchers surveyed 271 platforms in December 2021 and found levels of airborne iron particles were a staggering 126 times more than the outdoor average, according to a paper published last month in the International Atmospheric Pollution Research journal.

One study shows iron, which makes up the bulk of the air pollution on the subway, can be neurotoxic if inhaled and is linked to autism, schizophrenia, and ADHD.

Another study showed a correlation between iron inhalation and cardiovascular disease, cancer, and respiratory illness, although more research is needed into the health impacts, the NYU scientists noted.

The worst station surveyed was at 181st Street on the 1 line, with an average concentration of airborne particles 17 times higher than the daily average level of metal ions the EPA considers unsafe.

https://nypost.com/2023/05/13/subway-has-alarmingly-high-pollution-levels-study-finds/
« Last Edit: May 16, 2023, 10:29:18 am by rangerrebew »
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Shut the subway down now!  NOW! NOW!
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson