Author Topic: Thought For The Day by John Jaeger, MBA  (Read 29055 times)

Offline Hoodat

Re: Thought For The Day by John Jaeger, MBA
« Reply #125 on: July 18, 2023, 01:39:11 am »
This is my last post on GOP, thanks to a hateful little atheist

There's an atheist in our midst?  Do tell.  I've been on this earth over half a century, and have met only one true atheist.  I've met plenty of folks who didn't like God, but only one who truly did not believe.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Online roamer_1

« Reply #126 on: July 18, 2023, 01:44:32 am »
This is my last post on GOP, thanks to a hateful little atheist and the "Administrator" who refused to ban him from harassing me and making stupid comments.  He was too petty and ignorant to ignore me and likewise the "Administrator" told both of us to stop it, as if we were equals.  That was not remotely true.

Happy now "Administrator"?

Don't make it personal.
Don't take it personal.
Feed the puppies.

Online Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #127 on: July 18, 2023, 01:53:13 am »
Don't make it personal.
Don't take it personal.
Feed the puppies.

I'll just call it one of my many successes as Admin....
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline DB

« Reply #128 on: July 18, 2023, 01:56:24 am »
Don't make it personal.
Don't take it personal.
Feed the puppies.

I tried suggesting that and got scolded for it...

Offline libertybele

« Reply #129 on: July 18, 2023, 02:03:02 am »
Good grief everyone .... this thread and forum needs a great big group hug????    happy77

Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Online roamer_1

« Reply #130 on: July 18, 2023, 02:15:56 am »
Good grief everyone .... this thread and forum needs a great big group hug????    happy77

No more group hugs please... @corbe keeps humping my leg.  :nono:

:tongue2: :silly:

Online Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #131 on: July 18, 2023, 03:29:26 am »

I guess it beats my just deleting the thread.. happy77
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Online Lando Lincoln

« Reply #132 on: July 18, 2023, 04:18:08 am »
Don't make it personal.
Don't take it personal.
Feed the puppies.

There are puppies?
There are some among us who live in rooms of experience we can never enter.
John Steinbeck

Online DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
« Reply #133 on: July 18, 2023, 10:05:26 am »
Don't make it personal.
Don't take it personal.
Feed the puppies.

"Personally"    :laugh:  :bolt:
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Online bigheadfred

• One day Closer
« Reply #134 on: July 18, 2023, 02:53:36 pm »
Nearly all men can stand adversity,
but if you want to test a man's character, give him power.
- Abraham Lincoln
She asked me name my foe then. I said the need within some men to fight and kill their brothers without thought of Love or God. Ken Hensley

Offline libertybele

« Reply #135 on: July 18, 2023, 03:18:02 pm »
Nearly all men can stand adversity,
but if you want to test a man's character, give him power.
- Abraham Lincoln

Certainly something to ponder with those currently now in power. Most have no integrity whatsoever.

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline libertybele

« Reply #136 on: July 18, 2023, 03:37:02 pm »
Ours is not a fated existence, for nowhere is our destiny etched in stone.  In the final analysis, the last line of defense in support of freedom and the Constitution consists of the people themselves.

-- Ron Paul

Offline ChemEngrMBA

• TBR Advisory Committee
« Reply #137 on: September 04, 2023, 12:27:53 am »
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Weasel_program

In chapter 3 of his book The Blind Watchmaker, Dawkins gave the following introduction to the program, referencing the well-known infinite monkey theorem:
I don't know who it was first pointed out that, given enough time, a monkey bashing away at random on a typewriter could produce all the works of Shakespeare. The operative phrase is, of course, given enough time. Let us limit the task facing our monkey somewhat. Suppose that he has to produce, not the complete works of Shakespeare but just the short sentence 'Methinks it is like a weasel', and we shall make it relatively easy by giving him a typewriter with a restricted keyboard, one with just the 26 (capital) letters, and a space bar. How long will he take to write this one little sentence?

[NOTE:  How lazy of Richard Dawkins to fail to look up the author of his monkey business.  It was Sir Arthur Eddington.   
In 1928, British astrophysicist Arthur Eddington presented a classical illustration of chance in his book, The Nature of the Physical World: “If I let my fingers wander idly over the keys of a typewriter it might happen that my screed made an intelligible sentence. If an army of monkeys were strumming on typewriters they might write all the books in the British Museum.”
This is nonsense compounding nonsense.  And yet my high school math teacher presented this proposition to his classes in the 1960’s.
First, an “army of monkeys” wouldn’t be very interested in hitting typewriter keys repeatedly.  There is nothing for them to gain in so doing. 
Second, those who did hit the keys would quickly get to the end of the line, and have no concept of returning the carriage to type the second line.
Third, those very few who somehow

overcame the first and second hurdles, repeatedly, would find that the paper was ejected from the carriage, and they are hopelessly unable to replace the first page with a fresh sheet of paper.
Fourth, we will never get to the fourth problem of exhausting the ink in the typewriter ribbons because the “army of monkeys” would have defecated on or otherwise ruined every typewriter.
Fifth, Sir Arthur Eddington never began to consider the statistics of monkeys “selecting” 1 out of approximately 100 different keys, counting upper and lower case of all letters, numbers, and punctuation marks.  A page of an average book has 250 – 300 words.  (https://hotghostwriter.com/blogs/blog/novel-length-how-long-is-long-enough)
The average word has 6.47 letters. (https://capitalizemytitle.com/character-count/100-characters/)

Using the lower value of 250 words, times 6.47 letters equals 1,617 characters in a page.
1/100 to the 1,617th power is 10 to the -3,234, for just one page, much less “all the books in the British Museum.”
“we just think of one chance in 10 to the 40th power” as “impossible”. – Richard Dawkins, (The Blind Watchmaker, page 142)
Emil Borel, a famous statistician, defined “impossible” as an event with a probability of 10-50 or less.
https://owlcation.com/stem/Borels-Law-of-Probability
This is equivalent to finding one unique marble, in 78 spheres the size of our solar system out to Pluto, all full of identical marbles except for one, on your first and only attempt.  You do not get an infinite number of attempts, not even two. 
Therefore 10 to the 50 marbles, each 1cm in diameter, would occupy 78 spheres reaching from the center of the sun to Pluto, 5.906 billion kilometers from the sun.  (10 to the 5 marbles/km)cubed  = 10 to the 15 marbles per cubic km

To get 35 more orders of magnitude requires the multiplier of roughly (4.64 x 10 to the 11) cubed, for volume.
4.64x 10 to the 11 km/5.906 x 10 to the 9 km= ~78.5 spheres the size of our solar system to Pluto]

Dawkins then goes on to show that a process of cumulative selection can take far fewer steps to reach any given target. In Dawkins':
We again use our computer monkey, but with a crucial difference in its program. It again begins by choosing a random sequence of 28 letters, just as before ... it duplicates it repeatedly, but with a certain chance of random error – 'mutation' – in the copying. The computer examines the mutant nonsense phrases, the 'progeny' of the original phrase, and chooses the one which, however slightly, most resembles the target phrase, METHINKS IT IS LIKE A WEASEL.

By repeating the procedure, a randomly generated sequence of 28 letters and spaces will be gradually changed each generation. The sequences progress through each generation:
Generation 01:   WDLTMNLT DTJBKWIRZREZLMQCO P [2]
Generation 02:   WDLTMNLT DTJBSWIRZREZLMQCO P
Generation 10:   MDLDMNLS ITJISWHRZREZ MECS P
Generation 20:   MELDINLS IT ISWPRKE Z WECSEL
Generation 30:   METHINGS IT ISWLIKE B WECSEL
Generation 40:   METHINKS IT IS LIKE I WEASEL
Generation 43:   METHINKS IT IS LIKE A WEASEL
Dawkins continues:
The exact time taken by the computer to reach the target doesn't matter. If you want to know, it completed the whole exercise for me, the first time, while I was out to lunch. It took about half an hour. (Computer enthusiasts may think this unduly slow. The reason is that the program was written in BASIC, a sort of computer baby-talk. When I rewrote it in Pascal, it took 11 seconds.) Computers are a bit faster at this kind of thing than monkeys, but the difference really isn't significant. What matters is the difference between the time taken by cumulative selection, and the time which the same computer, working flat out at the same rate, would take to reach the target phrase if it were forced to use the other procedure of single-step selection: about a million million million million million years. This is more than a million million million times as long as the universe has so far existed.

[So much for Dawkins’ specious argument in defense of Darwinism, which he proudly claimed, “… made it possible to be an intellectually fulfilled atheist.”  (http://UncommonDescent.com) Twenty-six capital letters plus the space bar equals twenty-seven. Twenty-seven to the twenty-eighth power equals ten to the fortieth different possible combinations, of which we seek only one specifically.  Dawkins admits his definition of “impossible” is 1 chance in 10 to the 40th power.  This is not for all of Shakespeare’s works, but for one short sentence, and even then on a dramatically altered keyboard, not of fifty possible keys, lower case, and fifty more keys, upper case, but for only twenty-six keys, all upper case.
Of critical but neglected importance is the fact that for “selection” to occur, the intermediary produced by the random mutation MUST confer a “selective advantage” for the host organism, otherwise it will be lost.  It is therefore incumbent on the advocate for Darwinism to demonstrate, in each case, what that improvement is and how it operates, every single time, without exception.   This is easily done when copying short sentences, but not so easily done when originally constructing over 20,000 proteins in humans *a, the largest of which is titin, at 38,138*b amino acid residues in length. 1 out of 20 amino acids “selected” consecutively 38,138 times has a probability of 1 chance in 10 to the 49,618.  This is for only one protein. Calculating for chirality, i.e. the “selection” of L amino acids instead of D amino acidsc and all peptide bonds rather than the equally probable non-peptide bondsd reduces the probability of original naturalistic synthesis to 1 chance in 10 to the 72,578.  Twenty thousand more proteins to go! – John Phillip Jaeger]
a -  https://www.omim.org/entry/188840\
b - https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4889822/
c - ½ to the 38,138 = 10-11,480
d - ½ to the 38,138 = 10-11,480

« Last Edit: September 04, 2023, 12:35:40 am by ChemEngrMBA »
The Book Commentary: "The book (Brilliant Creations - The Wonder of Nature and Life) is pure genius."
Review by John Orosz, M.D. "Wow, beyond outstanding. Please send me twenty signed copies for colleagues, family, and libraries."
"I was running every morning for twenty years with a genius." - Mike McCartney, D.D.S.
"You have the most agile mind of anyone I know." -
Avice Marie Griffin, PhD, Clinical Psychologist

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #138 on: September 04, 2023, 02:10:47 am »

[So much for Dawkins’ specious argument in defense of Darwinism, which he proudly claimed, “… made it possible to be an intellectually fulfilled atheist.”  (http://UncommonDescent.com)

Darwinism does not disqualify the existence of G-d.  If anything, it wholly relies it.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #139 on: September 04, 2023, 09:20:26 am »
Which takes me back to Paleontology Class, day one, where the professor wrote a few different things for the Origin of life on the board...

Aliens,

Space debris containing organics to jump start the process on Earth,

Evolution.

Divine creation (which received such short shrift I protested and was told that by the end of the year I'd be made a 'believer'.).

Believer in what? Why, evolution, of course.

At the end of the year, after I had my 'A' for Vertebrate Paleo (second semester of the year course) in hand, I was asked by the professor if he'd made a 'believer' out of me.
I said, (somewhat lightheartedly) "Nope. Look at the odds. Either there is a God or there isn't. Either he created it all or he didn't. That is a one-in-four shot.  Way better than assembling the first bacterium at random, and that won't get you through any of the hypothetical ancestors or dotted lines on the way to Homo sapiens.  But it has been an interesting class. " 

I'll  give him credit, he did not appear crestfallen, and we remained friends, but I was only convinced of the far greater improbability that humans originated from a random process.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2023, 09:23:35 am by Smokin Joe »
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #140 on: September 05, 2023, 03:15:00 am »
I'll  give him credit, he did not appear crestfallen, and we remained friends, but I was only convinced of the far greater improbability that humans originated from a random process.

I once heard that probability described the same as a tornado striking a junk yard filled with spare airplane parts and leaving behind a fully assembled functional Boeing 747 in its wake.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

-Ayn Rand-

Offline ChemEngrMBA

• TBR Advisory Committee
« Reply #141 on: September 15, 2023, 11:37:45 pm »
I received this email yesterday from Douglas Axe, Chief of Microbiology Department at Biola University:

•   johnjaeger
Thu 9/14/2023 11:35 AM
Hi John—

Your critique of the Dawkins weasel demonstration found its way to me, and I agree with it entirely. I offered my own critique in Undeniable (p198-200). You hit the nail on the head!
Regrettably, even solid refutations of evolutionary arguments like this don’t seem to get their proponents to rethink their position. I’ve become convinced that this is because the root problem is spiritual, not scientific or intellectual.
Best regards,
Doug Axe
Douglas Axe, PhD
Rosa Endowed Chair of Molecular Biology
Professor of Computational Biology
Co-Director of Stewart Science Honors Program
School of Science, Technology & Health
Biola University

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Weasel_program

In chapter 3 of his book The Blind Watchmaker, Dawkins gave the following introduction to the program, referencing the well-known infinite monkey theorem:
I don't know who it was first pointed out that, given enough time, a monkey bashing away at random on a typewriter could produce all the works of Shakespeare. The operative phrase is, of course, given enough time. Let us limit the task facing our monkey somewhat. Suppose that he has to produce, not the complete works of Shakespeare but just the short sentence 'Methinks it is like a weasel', and we shall make it relatively easy by giving him a typewriter with a restricted keyboard, one with just the 26 (capital) letters, and a space bar. How long will he take to write this one little sentence?

[NOTE:  How lazy of Richard Dawkins to fail to look up the author of his monkey business.  It was Sir Arthur Eddington.   
In 1928, British astrophysicist Arthur Eddington presented a classical illustration of chance in his book, The Nature of the Physical World: “If I let my fingers wander idly over the keys of a typewriter it might happen that my screed made an intelligible sentence. If an army of monkeys were strumming on typewriters they might write all the books in the British Museum.”
This is nonsense compounding nonsense.  And yet my high school math teacher presented this proposition to his classes in the 1960’s.
First, an “army of monkeys” wouldn’t be very interested in hitting typewriter keys repeatedly.  There is nothing for them to gain in so doing. 
Second, those who did hit the keys would quickly get to the end of the line, and have no concept of returning the carriage to type the second line.
Third, those very few who somehow

overcame the first and second hurdles, repeatedly, would find that the paper was ejected from the carriage, and they are hopelessly unable to replace the first page with a fresh sheet of paper.
Fourth, we will never get to the fourth problem of exhausting the ink in the typewriter ribbons because the “army of monkeys” would have defecated on or otherwise ruined every typewriter.
Fifth, Sir Arthur Eddington never began to consider the statistics of monkeys “selecting” 1 out of approximately 100 different keys, counting upper and lower case of all letters, numbers, and punctuation marks.  A page of an average book has 250 – 300 words.  (https://hotghostwriter.com/blogs/blog/novel-length-how-long-is-long-enough)
The average word has 6.47 letters. (https://capitalizemytitle.com/character-count/100-characters/)

Using the lower value of 250 words, times 6.47 letters equals 1,617 characters in a page.
1/100 to the 1,617th power is 10 to the -3,234, for just one page, much less “all the books in the British Museum.”
“we just think of one chance in 10 to the 40th power” as “impossible”. – Richard Dawkins, (The Blind Watchmaker, page 142)
Emil Borel, a famous statistician, defined “impossible” as an event with a probability of 10-50 or less.
https://owlcation.com/stem/Borels-Law-of-Probability
This is equivalent to finding one unique marble, in 78 spheres the size of our solar system out to Pluto, all full of identical marbles except for one, on your first and only attempt.  You do not get an infinite number of attempts, not even two. 
Therefore 10 to the 50 marbles, each 1cm in diameter, would occupy 78 spheres reaching from the center of the sun to Pluto, 5.906 billion kilometers from the sun.  (10 to the 5 marbles/km)cubed  = 10 to the 15 marbles per cubic km

To get 35 more orders of magnitude requires the multiplier of roughly (4.64 x 10 to the 11) cubed, for volume.
4.64x 10 to the 11 km/5.906 x 10 to the 9 km= ~78.5 spheres the size of our solar system to Pluto]

Dawkins then goes on to show that a process of cumulative selection can take far fewer steps to reach any given target. In Dawkins':
We again use our computer monkey, but with a crucial difference in its program. It again begins by choosing a random sequence of 28 letters, just as before ... it duplicates it repeatedly, but with a certain chance of random error – 'mutation' – in the copying. The computer examines the mutant nonsense phrases, the 'progeny' of the original phrase, and chooses the one which, however slightly, most resembles the target phrase, METHINKS IT IS LIKE A WEASEL.

By repeating the procedure, a randomly generated sequence of 28 letters and spaces will be gradually changed each generation. The sequences progress through each generation:
Generation 01:   WDLTMNLT DTJBKWIRZREZLMQCO P [2]
Generation 02:   WDLTMNLT DTJBSWIRZREZLMQCO P
Generation 10:   MDLDMNLS ITJISWHRZREZ MECS P
Generation 20:   MELDINLS IT ISWPRKE Z WECSEL
Generation 30:   METHINGS IT ISWLIKE B WECSEL
Generation 40:   METHINKS IT IS LIKE I WEASEL
Generation 43:   METHINKS IT IS LIKE A WEASEL
Dawkins continues:
The exact time taken by the computer to reach the target doesn't matter. If you want to know, it completed the whole exercise for me, the first time, while I was out to lunch. It took about half an hour. (Computer enthusiasts may think this unduly slow. The reason is that the program was written in BASIC, a sort of computer baby-talk. When I rewrote it in Pascal, it took 11 seconds.) Computers are a bit faster at this kind of thing than monkeys, but the difference really isn't significant. What matters is the difference between the time taken by cumulative selection, and the time which the same computer, working flat out at the same rate, would take to reach the target phrase if it were forced to use the other procedure of single-step selection: about a million million million million million years. This is more than a million million million times as long as the universe has so far existed.

[So much for Dawkins’ specious argument in defense of Darwinism, which he proudly claimed, “… made it possible to be an intellectually fulfilled atheist.”  (http://UncommonDescent.com) Twenty-six capital letters plus the space bar equals twenty-seven. Twenty-seven to the twenty-eighth power equals ten to the fortieth different possible combinations, of which we seek only one specifically.  Dawkins admits his definition of “impossible” is 1 chance in 10 to the 40th power.  This is not for all of Shakespeare’s works, but for one short sentence, and even then on a dramatically altered keyboard, not of fifty possible keys, lower case, and fifty more keys, upper case, but for only twenty-six keys, all upper case.
Of critical but neglected importance is the fact that for “selection” to occur, the intermediary produced by the random mutation MUST confer a “selective advantage” for the host organism, otherwise it will be lost.  It is therefore incumbent on the advocate for Darwinism to demonstrate, in each case, what that improvement is and how it operates, every single time, without exception.   This is easily done when copying short sentences, but not so easily done when originally constructing over 20,000 proteins in humans *a, the largest of which is titin, at 38,138*b amino acid residues in length. 1 out of 20 amino acids “selected” consecutively 38,138 times has a probability of 1 chance in 10 to the 49,618.  This is for only one protein. Calculating for chirality, i.e. the “selection” of L amino acids instead of D amino acidsc and all peptide bonds rather than the equally probable non-peptide bondsd reduces the probability of original naturalistic synthesis to 1 chance in 10 to the 72,578.  Twenty thousand more proteins to go! – John Phillip Jaeger]
a -  https://www.omim.org/entry/188840\
b - https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4889822/
c - ½ to the 38,138 = 10-11,480
d - ½ to the 38,138 = 10-11,480

The Book Commentary: "The book (Brilliant Creations - The Wonder of Nature and Life) is pure genius."
Review by John Orosz, M.D. "Wow, beyond outstanding. Please send me twenty signed copies for colleagues, family, and libraries."
"I was running every morning for twenty years with a genius." - Mike McCartney, D.D.S.

Online Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #142 on: September 16, 2023, 12:19:56 am »
I received this email yesterday from Douglas Axe, Chief of Microbiology Department at Biola University:

•   johnjaeger
Thu 9/14/2023 11:35 AM
Hi John—

Your critique of the Dawkins weasel demonstration found its way to me, and I agree with it entirely. I offered my own critique in Undeniable (p198-200). You hit the nail on the head!
Regrettably, even solid refutations of evolutionary arguments like this don’t seem to get their proponents to rethink their position. I’ve become convinced that this is because the root problem is spiritual, not scientific or intellectual.
Best regards,
Doug Axe
Douglas Axe, PhD
Rosa Endowed Chair of Molecular Biology
Professor of Computational Biology
Co-Director of Stewart Science Honors Program
School of Science, Technology & Health
Biola University

Now I'm interested in your letter to him.
I will NOT comply.

Offline ChemEngrMBA

• TBR Advisory Committee
« Reply #143 on: September 17, 2023, 01:23:21 am »
Now I'm interested in your letter to him.

It is immediately above your request for it.  Post #141.

Online Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #144 on: September 17, 2023, 02:29:16 pm »
It is immediately above your request for it.  Post #141.

Ooops!  My bad.  Sometimes I don't see the things I should.
I will NOT comply.

Online Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #145 on: September 17, 2023, 02:37:45 pm »
Ooops!  My bad.  Sometimes I don't see the things I should.

That is very interesting.  It reminds me of the mathematical argument arguing for the idea that two snowflakes can never be alike.  The number of crystalline permutations required to grow a snowflake is equally astronomical as the case of the typing monkeys.
I will NOT comply.

Offline ChemEngrMBA

• TBR Advisory Committee
« Reply #146 on: October 27, 2023, 01:10:26 pm »
" - A large-scale 1972 study found that persons who did not attend
church were four times as likely to commit suicide than were frequent
church attenders.
 - One survey of nearly 14,000 youths found that substance abuse varied
in direct proportion to strength of religious commitment.  The authors
concluded that 'importance of religion' was the single best predictor of
substance abuse patterns.
 - Several studies have found that alcohol abuse is highest among those
with little or no religious commitment.
 - Religious people recover from surgery more quickly than do their
atheistic and agnostic counterparts.
 - A number of studies have found a strong inverse correlation between
church attendance and divorce.
 - A 1978 study found that church attendance predicted marital
satisfaction better than any other single variable.
 - Very religious women report greater happiness and satisfaction with
marital sex.

In short, the burden of both clinical experience and the research data
suggests that among the most important determinants of human happiness
and psychological well-being are our spiritual beliefs and moral
choices."

God: The Evidence, by Patrick Glynn

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #147 on: October 27, 2023, 10:30:21 pm »
" - A large-scale 1972 study found that persons who did not attend
church were four times as likely to commit suicide than were frequent
church attenders.
 - One survey of nearly 14,000 youths found that substance abuse varied
in direct proportion to strength of religious commitment.  The authors
concluded that 'importance of religion' was the single best predictor of
substance abuse patterns.
 - Several studies have found that alcohol abuse is highest among those
with little or no religious commitment.
 - Religious people recover from surgery more quickly than do their
atheistic and agnostic counterparts.
 - A number of studies have found a strong inverse correlation between
church attendance and divorce.
 - A 1978 study found that church attendance predicted marital
satisfaction better than any other single variable.
 - Very religious women report greater happiness and satisfaction with
marital sex.

In short, the burden of both clinical experience and the research data
suggests that among the most important determinants of human happiness
and psychological well-being are our spiritual beliefs and moral
choices."

God: The Evidence, by Patrick Glynn

@ChemEngrMBA

It's ok if you like to  believe fairytales.
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline ChemEngrMBA

• TBR Advisory Committee
« Reply #148 on: October 28, 2023, 10:10:12 pm »
Quotes from Demon Haunted World by Carl Sagan

P 13: “...the Bible is ‘inerrant’ “.  [Mocking the Bible.]

P 28: “Except in pure mathematics, nothing is known for certain.”  [Carl wanted his fans and students to believe he knew a great deal for certain.]

P 29: “Science is not only compatible with spirituality, it is a profound source of spirituality.”

[After mocking the Bible on page 13, he now applauds it alongside science.]

P 30: “If you want to save your child from polio, you can pray or you can inoculate.”

[This is a very ignorant and misguided false "choice."  We pray and we inoculate, do we not?]

P 32: “Valid criticism does you a favor.”

[I've done many favors to Carl Sagan then, including writing to his publisher citing his many errors and self-contradictions, such as these. Elsewhere Sagan said "Sex was invented." - Page 28, I forgot which book, I critiqued so many of his.  When he wrote me a letter, all he could do was ask me to buy his newest book.
I never bought one. I checked them out at the library.  Then I sold his letter on EBay for $125.]

Offline ChemEngrMBA

• TBR Advisory Committee
« Reply #149 on: October 30, 2023, 08:24:51 pm »
“I say unequivocally that the evidence for the Resurrection of Jesus Christ is so overwhelming that it compels acceptance by proof which leaves absolutely no room for doubt.” – Sir Lionel Luckhoo, The Most Successful Attorney in History, according to the Guiness Book of Records