Author Topic: Trump hits DeSantis on abortion, suggests 6-week abortion ban is ‘too harsh’  (Read 1730 times)

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
May 15, 2023 7:22am EDT
Trump hits DeSantis on abortion, suggests 6-week abortion ban is ‘too harsh’
Former president refused to clarify his own abortion stance, saying he looked at 'all options'
By Anders Hagstrom | Fox News

Former President Trump attacked Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis for his abortion stance on Monday, suggesting in an interview that Florida's six-week ban was "too harsh."

Trump made the statement in a wide-ranging interview with The Messenger published on Monday. Trump refused to elaborate on his own stance regarding abortion, however, instead claiming to have heard that pro-life voters opposed DeSantis' bill.

"He has to do what he has to do," Trump said when asked about Florida's six-week ban. "If you look at what DeSantis did, a lot of people don't even know if he knew what he was doing. But he signed six weeks, and many people within the pro-life movement feel that that was too harsh."

When asked about whether he would support a six-week ban, Trump replied, "I'm looking at all options."

more
https://www.foxnews.com/politics/trump-hits-desantis-abortion-suggests-6-week-abortion-ban-too-harsh
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Online catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
Conservative Donny strike again.  /s
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline LMAO

I agree with Trump on this
I have little interest in streamlining government or in making it more efficient, for I mean to reduce its size. I do not undertake to promote welfare, for I propose to extend freedom. My aim is not to pass laws, but to repeal them.

Barry Goldwater

http://www.usdebtclock.org

My Avatar is my adult autistic son Tommy

Online catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
I agree with Trump on this

"Looking at all options"? You agree with that vagueness.

You realize his end product might look like a democratic solution?
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline LMAO

"Looking at all options"? You agree with that vagueness.

You realize his end product might look like a democratic solution?

You’re probably not going to get much public support for a 6 week ban. Things like partial birth or abortions up to the 9 month ban can get support
I have little interest in streamlining government or in making it more efficient, for I mean to reduce its size. I do not undertake to promote welfare, for I propose to extend freedom. My aim is not to pass laws, but to repeal them.

Barry Goldwater

Online catfish1957

• Political Researcher
You’re probably not going to get much public support for a 6 week ban. Things like partial birth or abortions up to the 9 month ban can get support

Agree there, but like with other outlandish things Trump has proposed lately, I really don't trust him.

Offline DefiantMassRINO

Keep Big Government out of the womb and the OBGYN's office.
Self-Annointed Deplorable Expert Chowderhead Pundit

I reserve my God-given rights to be wrong and to be stupid at all times.
"If at first you don’t succeed, destroy all evidence that you tried." - Steven Wright

Online catfish1957

• Political Researcher
Keep Big Government out of the womb and the OBGYN's office.

....and let the voters decide for each of their own states what level of service is available.   That is the law now.

Offline LMAO

From the article….

"He has to do what he has to do," Trump said when asked about Florida's six-week ban. "If you look at what DeSantis did, a lot of people don't even know if he knew what he was doing. But he signed six weeks, and many people within the pro-life movement feel that that was too harsh."

Who are these “many people within the pro-life movement” that feel that that was too harsh?

Barry Goldwater

Online cato potatoe

When asked about whether he would support a six-week ban, Trump replied, "I'm looking at all options."

What is this supposed to mean?  The Florida law is available for anyone to peruse.  Either you support it or you don't.  Maybe Donald should learn what is happening on the other side of the moat.

Offline Right_in_Virginia

Conservative Donny strike again.  /s

Until the point of viability outside the womb, with all supportive medical technology, the state has no role in this decision.

The decision until that point is one of free will, between the woman and God.  Wanna help here?  Get on your knees and pray with the woman, but leave the damn state out of it.

Online catfish1957

• Political Researcher
Until the point of viability outside the womb, with all supportive medical technology, the state has no role in this decision.

The decision until that point is one of free will, between the woman and God.  Wanna help here?  Get on your knees and pray with the woman, but leave the damn state out of it.

We sure are learning all kinds of things about you lately aren't we?

We sure are learning all kinds of things about you lately aren't we?

This has always been my position @catfish1957   The state has no business in the decision until the life is viable outside the womb. 

« Last Edit: May 15, 2023, 03:06:13 pm by Right_in_Virginia »

Online cato potatoe

So in other words, it's open season until 10-12 years of age, or whenever they can feed themselves.

So in other words, it's open season until 10-12 years of age, or whenever they can feed themselves.

Of course not.  Viable is the ability to breathe and process sustenance outside the womb.

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
Strike two Mr. Trump!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan

BS @Right_in_Virginia ! A human fetus is viable the instant sperm penetrates the egg wall unless some outside force interferes with its development.
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Online roamer_1

And just like that *snaps fingers* Ol Tumpy destroys the only lasting gain he could claim.

Offline bigheadfred

• One day Closer
I take a hard line on abortion. Abortion is murder. It is, IMO, within a states purview to do something about it.

FWIW Abortion in Idaho is illegal from fertilization. The ban allows exceptions for rape, incest, or maternal health.[2] The law took effect on August 25, 2022. I can live with that.

She asked me name my foe then. I said the need within some men to fight and kill their brothers without thought of Love or God. Ken Hensley

Online GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
From the article….

Who are these “many people within the pro-life movement” that feel that that was too harsh?
I think what Trump was trying to do there was equate DeSantis with himself, only problem is that unlike Trump, DeSantis does actually know how our government works :silly: I see this as just a slightly more polished Trump insult turd implying that DeSantis is too ignorant to understand what comes across his desk, you know like those insane spending bills that Trump just rubber stamped. If the people of Florida wanted the abortion law that was sent to him then good on him for upholding the will of Floridians.

Online roamer_1

So murder then, is an act of free will... Between a human and God. And the state has no business in it. Because that is the very same thing, or you will hit a logic loop that will take your sanity.

And under which conditions can a state sanction death? Because that is really the question.

DeSantis is wrong, surely, because six weeks is too much. The state has *no* grounds to sanction the children's death.

Online roamer_1

Of course not.  Viable is the ability to breathe and process sustenance outside the womb.

No, Viable is viable. If you leave the baby be, it IS viable, right up through birth and beyond.

Online roamer_1

I take a hard line on abortion. Abortion is murder. It is, IMO, within a states purview to do something about it.

FWIW Abortion in Idaho is illegal from fertilization. The ban allows exceptions for rape, incest, or maternal health.[2] The law took effect on August 25, 2022. I can live with that.

It's the only thing that makes sense. Kudos.

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
BS @Right_in_Virginia ! A human fetus is viable the instant sperm penetrates the egg wall unless some outside force interferes with its development.

Exactly...well said.
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Online cato potatoe

There is no survival outside the womb without a great deal of care and investment over the course of many years.  That is why the viability argument has always been a copout.  Parents are responsible for their offspring from the moment of conception (the beginning of life, according to biology) until the child reaches adulthood.