Author Topic: The Radical Redesign and Restructuring of the United States Marine Corps  (Read 222 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
The Radical Redesign and Restructuring of the United States Marine Corps
By Christopher Owens
May 13, 2023

The United States Marine Corps is unwisely divesting nearly 30 percent of its new, state-of-the-art helicopter, tilt rotor, and fifth generation fighter/strike aircraft. These divestments, part of the Force Design 2030 concept, will cripple Marine Corps aviation and limit the operational reach of Marines today and in the future.  The planned dispersion of “stand-in forces” in Force Design 2030 will require more lift and air support, not less, making these divestments especially dangerous.

Over a year ago, the Congressional Research Service (CRS) published the “New U.S. Marine Corps Force Design Initiative: Force Design 2030 Updated March 7, 2022.”  The CRS report described the risks associated with redesigning and restructuring the Marine Corps as essentially a coastal defense force in the southwest Pacific, and posed several questions.

A key question relates to operational reach. How does the elimination of significant numbers of aircraft affect the deployment, sustainment, and close air support of Marines?

The answer is that the divested aircraft will be essential for the deployment and support of Marines in any contingency, and are certainly required to support the new inside force (stand-in forces) in the Indo-Pacific region.

https://www.realcleardefense.com/articles/2023/05/13/the_radical_redesign_and_restructuring_of_the_united_states_marine_corps_899318.html
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
The radical "redesign" of 2023 is bad enough, I don't know how they plan to make it worse. :whistle:
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
This just makes no sense whatsoever.
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!