Author Topic: After court blocks renewables push, US promotes carbon capture & hydrogen  (Read 214 times)

Online rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
After court blocks renewables push, US promotes carbon capture & hydrogen
Published on 11/05/2023, 1:48pm
The Environmental Protection Agency will set limits on power plants’ emissions, forcing them to clean up or shut down

A Greenpeace airship flies over Duke Energy's Marshall coal-fired power plant (Photo credit: Jason Miczek/Greenpeace)

By Reuters and Joe Lo

The Biden administration unveiled a sweeping plan to slash greenhouse gas emissions from the nation’s power industry on Thursday, one of the biggest steps so far in its effort to decarbonise the American economy to fight climate change.

The proposal would limit the amount of carbon dioxide that power plants, which are the source of more than a quarter of U.S. emissions, can send into the atmosphere, putting the industry on a years-long course to install billions of dollars of new equipment or shut down.

Environmental groups and scientists have long argued that such steps are crucial to curb global warming, but fossil-fuel-producing states argue that they represent government overreach and threaten to destabilise the electric grid.

https://www.climatechangenews.com/2023/05/11/after-court-blocks-renewables-push-us-promotes-carbon-capture-hydrogen/
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson