Author Topic: Ukraine 4  (Read 258314 times)

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
Re: Ukraine 4
« Reply #2875 on: May 23, 2024, 09:43:34 am »
The Black Sea fleet may have lost (or lost the use of) its last surface vessel missile carrier, but I think there are still several missile-carrying submarines (Kilo class?) in the fleet not permanently submerged.
Aquatic whack a mole!
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #2876 on: May 23, 2024, 12:44:44 pm »
Alex Rubinstein
@RealAlexRubi
After thwarting a peace deal in Ukraine and thereby condemning tens of thousands of young men to die in a ditch, Boris Johnson has welcomed fighters from the hardcore neo-Nazi Azov Battalion to the UK parliament.
8:28 AM · May 23, 2024

Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline Timber Rattler

• Conservative Purist and Patriot
« Reply #2877 on: May 23, 2024, 12:57:18 pm »
There was never any "peace deal" in April 2022.  That's just a Kremlin-propagated lie.  Putin was demanding surrender instead.
aka "nasty degenerate SOB," "worst of the worst at Free Republic," "Garbage Troll," "Neocon Warmonger," "Filthy Piece of Trash," "damn $#%$#@!," "Silly f'er," "POS," "war pig," "neocon scumbag," "insignificant little ankle nipper," "@ss-clown," "neocuck," "termite," "Uniparty Deep stater," "Never Trump sack of dog feces," "avid Bidenista," "filthy Ukrainian," "war whore," "fricking chump," psychopathic POS, and depraved SOB.

"In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act."  ---George Orwell

"If you want peace, prepare for war." ---Flavius Vegetius Renatus

Offline PeteS in CA

« Reply #2878 on: May 23, 2024, 03:30:33 pm »
Aquatic whack a mole!

Not really. Russia cannot reinforce its Black Sea Fleet with combatant ships, due to a treaty with Turkey. So while cargo ships can leave or enter the Black Sea, Baltic Sea Fleet combatant ships cannot. Ukrainian whacking has steadily diminished the number and capabilities of the orcs' "moles".
If, as anti-Covid-vaxxers claim, https://www.poynter.org/fact-checking/2021/robert-f-kennedy-jr-said-the-covid-19-vaccine-is-the-deadliest-vaccine-ever-made-thats-not-true/ , https://gospelnewsnetwork.org/2021/11/23/covid-shots-are-the-deadliest-vaccines-in-medical-history/ , The Vaccine is deadly, where in the US have Pfizer and Moderna hidden the millions of bodies of those who died of "vaccine injury"? Is reality a Big Pharma Shill?

Millions now living should have died. Anti-Covid-Vaxxer ghouls hardest hit.

Offline PeteS in CA

« Reply #2879 on: May 23, 2024, 03:38:15 pm »
1. Do I have to point out that the symbol on the banner is not and does not resemble a swastika, whether Nazi, Hindu, Native American, Buddhist, Jain, or ... .

2. Do I have to point out that a battalion is only around 500 or 600 men? Ever heard of the fallacy of composition?

3. I know it's weird, but the C in C honoring a group that has fought well against invaders is not that unusual. E.G., ever heard of a Presidential Unit Citation?
« Last Edit: May 24, 2024, 12:45:18 am by PeteS in CA »
If, as anti-Covid-vaxxers claim, https://www.poynter.org/fact-checking/2021/robert-f-kennedy-jr-said-the-covid-19-vaccine-is-the-deadliest-vaccine-ever-made-thats-not-true/ , https://gospelnewsnetwork.org/2021/11/23/covid-shots-are-the-deadliest-vaccines-in-medical-history/ , The Vaccine is deadly, where in the US have Pfizer and Moderna hidden the millions of bodies of those who died of "vaccine injury"? Is reality a Big Pharma Shill?

Online Hoodat

« Reply #2880 on: May 23, 2024, 06:48:01 pm »
Alex Rubinstein
@RealAlexRubi
After thwarting a peace deal in Ukraine and thereby condemning tens of thousands of young men to die in a ditch, Boris Johnson has welcomed fighters from the hardcore neo-Nazi Azov Battalion to the UK parliament.

The Azov Battalion ceased to exist in Nov 2014.  It's been almost ten years now.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.     -Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."     -Ayn Rand-

Online Hoodat

« Reply #2881 on: May 23, 2024, 06:50:45 pm »
There was never any "peace deal" in April 2022.  That's just a Kremlin-propagated lie.  Putin was demanding surrender instead.

Yep.  This war can end any time Russia chooses.  All they have to do is get the hell out of Ukraine.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.     -Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."     -Ayn Rand-

Online Hoodat

« Reply #2882 on: May 23, 2024, 06:58:56 pm »
Again:  https://www.gopbriefingroom.com/index.php/topic,468874.msg2643817.html#msg2643817

Factbox-Last Defenders of Mariupol: What Is Ukraine's Azov Regiment?

May 17, 2022, at 5:36 a.m.

(Reuters) - Russian President Vladimir Putin looks poised to take full control of Ukraine's southeastern port city of Mariupol after the apparent surrender of the last Ukrainian forces holed up at a vast steel works.

At the core of that last stand has been the Azov Regiment whose fighters are lionised as heroes in Ukraine, but reviled by Putin's Kremlin as a band of Russia-hating neo-Nazis.

AZOV'S ORIGINS

The Azov Regiment began as one of many militias of volunteer fighters who banded together to fight pro-Russian separatists backed by Moscow who carved out two breakaway regions in eastern Ukraine in 2014 after Russia annexed the Crimean peninsula.

Mariupol is the spiritual home of the Azov Regiment which it helped Ukraine recapture from pro-Russian fighters in 2014 and where it had a permanent base until the 2022 invasion.

The militia emerged from Andriy Biletskiy's Patriot of Ukraine organisation that critics say championed white nationalist, anti-immigrant extreme-right ideas.

Its logo resembles a black "wolfsangel", a symbol that was used by some Nazi units and is seen by critics as neo-Nazi. The Azov say the logo represents the letters N and I of "national idea" and deny it is neo-Nazi.

Patriot of Ukraine later renamed itself the National Corps and, despite allying with other nationalist parties, failed to win election in 2019. The U.S. State Department labelled the National Corps a "nationalist hate group" in 2018.

Reporting Radicalism, a Freedom House-backed group investigating political extremism in Ukraine, says Biletskiy has written several openly racist texts. Biletskiy denies holding racist or neo-Nazi views and says he believes in values-based nationalism.

The Stanford Center for International Security and Cooperation describes the group as "an extreme-right nationalist paramilitary organisation based in Ukraine".

NATIONAL GUARD

In 2014, the Azov militia was folded into Ukraine's National Guard - a military wing of the interior ministry. Kyiv says it has been reformed away from its radical nationalist origins and that it has nothing to do with politics.

"They are the official army of our state. Anyone who wanted to be involved in politics - they left and are now in politics. Those who decided to serve in the Armed Forces became part of the Armed Forces," President Volodymyr Zelenskiy said in an interview with Greek channel ERT on May 1.

In a statement to CNN last month, Azov said it "appreciates and respects Andriy Biletskiy as the regiment's founder and first commander, but we have nothing to do with his political activities and the National Corps party".

The statement said that Azov's "motivation has always angered Russia. Therefore, disinformation attacks on the Azov Regiment have not stopped since 2014".

It denies allegations of fascism, Nazism and racism and says that Ukrainians from various backgrounds including Greeks, Jews, Crimean Tatars, and Russians serve in Azov.

The regiment's current and fourth commander is Denys Prokopenko, who has been dubbed a Hero of Ukraine by Zelenskiy, who is Jewish.  .  .  .

https://www.usnews.com/news/world/articles/2022-05-17/factbox-last-defenders-of-mariupol-what-is-ukraines-azov-regiment

Since this was last posted, the Regiment has been upgraded to Brigade status.

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #2883 on: May 23, 2024, 07:33:35 pm »
i24NEWS English
@i24NEWS_EN

Russia returns several Ukrainian kids in a Qatar-brokered deal

Putin tries to put a humanitarian face on the forcible transfer and Russification of Ukrainian children, while Qatar is happy to insert itself as a mediator in yet another conflict, @CliffordDMay
 tells @laura_i24

https://x.com/i24NEWS_EN/status/1793709416748917010

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #2884 on: May 23, 2024, 09:45:52 pm »
Not really. Russia cannot reinforce its Black Sea Fleet with combatant ships, due to a treaty with Turkey. So while cargo ships can leave or enter the Black Sea, Baltic Sea Fleet combatant ships cannot. Ukrainian whacking has steadily diminished the number and capabilities of the orcs' "moles".
I was referring to any surviving Russian subs in the Black sea...hit them when they pop up.

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline PeteS in CA

« Reply #2885 on: May 23, 2024, 09:53:06 pm »
I was referring to any surviving Russian subs in the Black sea...hit them when they pop up.

My misunderstanding. Lo siento.

I think one of the strikes on the Sevastopol naval base seriously damaged a Kilo-class sub. It's being repaired, apparently, but it won't be a Bondo and fresh paint fix.

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #2886 on: May 23, 2024, 09:57:51 pm »
My misunderstanding. Lo siento.

I think one of the strikes on the Sevastopol naval base seriously damaged a Kilo-class sub. It's being repaired, apparently, but it won't be a Bondo and fresh paint fix.
Yes it did, and that won't buff out.

C S Lewis

Offline Kamaji

« Reply #2887 on: May 23, 2024, 11:07:39 pm »
Alex Rubinstein
@RealAlexRubi

:bigsilly:

Offline Kamaji

« Reply #2888 on: May 23, 2024, 11:12:00 pm »
1. Do I have to point out that the symbol on the banner is not and does not resemble a swastika, whether Nazi, Hindu, Native American, Buddhist, Jain, or ... .

2. Do I have to point out that a battalion is only around 500 or 600 men? Ever heard of the fallacy of composition?

3. I know it's weird, but the C in C honoring a groups that has fought well against invaders is not that unusual. E.G., ever heard of a Presidential Unit Citation?

:thumbsup:

Online Hoodat

Online Hoodat

Online Hoodat

« Reply #2891 on: May 24, 2024, 02:22:49 am »

Online Hoodat

« Reply #2892 on: May 24, 2024, 02:32:52 am »
Russian Chief of General Staff's deputy arrested in Moscow

DARIA DMYTRIIEVA  |  MAY 23, 2024 - 11:49

Vadim Shamarin, head of the Main Communications Directorate of the Russian Armed Forces (photo: Russian media)

High-ranking generals continue to be detained in Russia. Lieutenant General Vadim Shamarin, head of the Main Communications Directorate of the Russian Armed Forces, has been arrested for two months on charges of accepting a large bribe, according to Kommersant.

Shamarin is also the deputy Chief of the General Staff under Valery Gerasimov.

A source within the security forces informed that a search was conducted in the criminal case against the general. As a result, Shamarin was taken for questioning to the Main Military Investigative Directorate of the Investigative Committee of Russia.

The court reported that Shamarin was arrested for two months for accepting a particularly large bribe.

Arrests of corrupt generals
Several high-ranking generals have been arrested in Moscow recently. In April, Deputy Defense Minister Timur Ivanov was arrested on corruption charges. In May, Chief of Staff Lieutenant General Yuri Kuznetsov was arrested on suspicion of involvement in a bribery scheme. Also in May, former commander of the 58th Army of the Southern Military District, Ivan Popov, was arrested on fraud charges.

Moreover, in a move that has significant implications for the Russian political landscape, after assuming office for his fifth presidential term, Vladimir Putin dismissed Defense Minister Sergey Shoigu, appointing him as Secretary of the National Security Council.  .  .

https://newsukraine.rbc.ua/news/chief-of-general-staff-s-deputy-arrested-1716454154.html

Online Hoodat

« Reply #2893 on: May 24, 2024, 02:51:29 am »
“I heard people crying, asking for help.” Russia drops glide bomb on Kharkiv residential district (in photos)

Yana Sliemzina - 24 May 2024 | 00:00

UKRAINE, KHARKIV — “My mom is there!” A woman runs to the building damaged by a Russian bomb.

Around are shattered windows, one burning flat, ruined cafés, and a damaged car wash service. On May 22, at around 1:50 p.m., Russians attacked one of Kharkiv’s residential districts. People are searching for their relatives and their pets.

Russia attacks Kharkiv, Ukraine’s second-largest city 19 miles from the state border, frequently — even more so since the beginning of their new ground offensive from north and northeast of the Kharkiv region on May 10.

The Kharkiv Regional Prosecutor’s office reported that this Russian bomb attack injured 12 people. Four of them are in the hospital. The trolleybus’ driver has severe injuries to his legs — as of May 23, doctors managed to save one of his legs; the other had to be amputated.  .  .  .

https://gwaramedia.com/en/i-heard-people-crying-asking-for-help-russia-drops-glide-bomb-on-kharkiv-residential-district-in-photos/

Online Hoodat

Online Hoodat

« Reply #2895 on: May 24, 2024, 04:59:24 am »
Good detail on what it is like as a mercenary soldier fighting against Ukraine.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K_jdfaI5dyQ

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #2896 on: May 24, 2024, 02:20:46 pm »
Putin is ready to halt the war in Ukraine with ceasefire that recognises current battlefield lines - but will fight on if the West does not respond

Daily Mail By Henry Moore and Reuters and Will Stewart 5/24/2024

Russia's Vladimir Putin is ready to halt the war in Ukraine if a negotiated ceasefire that recognises the current battlefield lines can be agreed, Russian sources claim.

Three of the sources, familiar with discussions in Putin's entourage, told Reuters the veteran Russian leader had expressed frustration to a small group of advisers about what he views as Western-backed attempts to stymie negotiations and Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelensky's decision to rule out talks.

'Putin can fight for as long as it takes, but Putin is also ready for a ceasefire to freeze the war,' said another of the insiders, a senior Russian source who has worked with Putin and has knowledge of top level conversations in the Kremlin.

He, like the others cited in this story, spoke on condition of anonymity given the matter's sensitivity.

Reuters spoke to a total of five people who work with or have worked with Putin at a senior level in the political and business worlds.

The fifth source did not comment on freezing the war at the current frontlines.

More: https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-13455619/Putin-Ukraine-war-ceasefire-recognises-current-battlefield-lines.html

Offline DB

« Reply #2897 on: May 24, 2024, 02:25:19 pm »
Ukraine is supposed to negotiate the loss of their country?

Putin can end the war at any time. Just leave Ukraine.

Putin sounds like Hamas...

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #2898 on: May 24, 2024, 02:35:03 pm »
Putin wants Ukraine ceasefire on current frontlines, sources say

Reuters by Guy Faulconbridge and Andrew Osborn 5/24/2024

Putin's spokesman Dmitry Peskov, in response to a request for comment, said the Kremlin chief had repeatedly made clear Russia was open to dialogue to achieve its goals, saying the country did not want “eternal war.”

Ukraine's foreign and defence ministries did not respond to questions.

The appointment last week of economist Andrei Belousov as Russia's defence minister was seen by some Western military and political analysts as placing the Russian economy on a permanent war footing in order to win a protracted conflict.

It followed sustained battlefield pressure and territorial advances by Russia in recent weeks.

However, the sources said that Putin, re-elected in March for a new six-year term, would rather use Russia's current momentum to put the war behind him. They did not directly comment on the new defence minister.

Based on their knowledge of conversations in the upper ranks of the Kremlin, two of the sources said Putin was of the view that gains in the war so far were enough to sell a victory to the Russian people.

Europe's biggest ground conflict since World War Two has cost tens of thousands of lives on both sides and led to sweeping Western sanctions on Russia's economy.

Three sources said Putin understood any dramatic new advances would require another nationwide mobilisation, which he didn't want, with one source, who knows the Russian president, saying his popularity dipped after the first mobilisation in September 2022.

The national call up spooked part of the population in Russia, triggering hundreds of thousands of draft age men to leave the country. Polls showed Putin’s popularity falling by several points.

Peskov said Russia had no need for mobilisation and was instead recruiting volunteer contractors to the armed forces.

The prospect of a ceasefire, or even peace talks, currently seems remote.

Zelenskiy has repeatedly said peace on Putin's terms is a non-starter. He has vowed to retake lost territory, including Crimea, which Russia annexed in 2014. He signed a decree in 2022 that formally declared any talks with Putin "impossible."

More: https://www.yahoo.com/news/putin-wants-ukraine-ceasefire-current-090432297.html

Offline Timber Rattler

• Conservative Purist and Patriot
« Reply #2899 on: May 24, 2024, 03:19:08 pm »
More of the same from this thug...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Salami_slicing_tactics

Salami Tactics: Faits Accomplis and International Expansion in the Shadow of Major War

https://tnsr.org/2021/11/salami-tactics-faits-accomplis-and-international-expansion-in-the-shadow-of-major-war/

The term “salami tactics” describes the repeated use of limited faits accomplis to gain influence within some competitive arena at an adversary’s expense without provoking major retaliation. Instead of pursuing a single decisive victory, the object is to advance slice by slice, securing cumulative gains at minimal cost. The concept resides at the tactical level (as a method for pursuing expansionist strategic objectives), and its potential amplifies the significance of otherwise minor actions.

The term’s origins can be traced back at least as far as the late 1940s, when Hungarian Communist leader Mátyás Rákosi claimed that he defeated his domestic rivals by inciting them to abandon ever-larger segments of their own party, “cutting them off like slices of salami.”7 Thomas Schelling adapted the notion to the Cold War, describing a method used by both superpowers to erode each other’s sphere of influence: “One can begin his intrusion on a scale too small to provoke a reaction, and increase it by imperceptible degrees, never quite presenting a sudden, dramatic challenge that would invoke the committed response.”8
aka "nasty degenerate SOB," "worst of the worst at Free Republic," "Garbage Troll," "Neocon Warmonger," "Filthy Piece of Trash," "damn $#%$#@!," "Silly f'er," "POS," "war pig," "neocon scumbag," "insignificant little ankle nipper," "@ss-clown," "neocuck," "termite," "Uniparty Deep stater," "Never Trump sack of dog feces," "avid Bidenista," "filthy Ukrainian," "war whore," "fricking chump," psychopathic POS, and depraved SOB.

"In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act."  ---George Orwell

"If you want peace, prepare for war." ---Flavius Vegetius Renatus