Author Topic: Does 500kg matter? Heavy EV cars may break bridges and car parks  (Read 121 times)

Online rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Does 500kg matter? Heavy EV cars may break bridges and car parks
By Jo Nova

Multistory car parkJust another catch on the road to Green Heaven.  EV’s are heavier than petrol cars.

Where a full tank of gas or fuel is 70kg, a full tank of battery (or an empty one) weighs half a ton, or in the Tesla Model Y league — 771kg. That’s more than a whole Toyota Corolla weighed in 1967 (just 690kg). Now a Tesla Model X weighs 2,500kg and some of the newer EV’s weigh 4,000 kg.

That poses a problem for many structures that were designed with normal cars in mind. The odd EV is fine, but if the whole national fleet starts to become electric, suddenly loads on 50 year old bridges and shopping centre carparks are beyond the expected bounds. The infrastructure may have been designed when a normal car was just a 1970’s corolla.

https://joannenova.com.au/2023/05/does-500kg-matter-heavy-ev-cars-may-break-bridges-and-car-parks/
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson