General Category > Computers

HP disables customers’ printers if they use ink cartridges from cheaper rivals

(1/4) > >>

corbe:
HP disables customers’ printers if they use ink cartridges from cheaper rivals

Story by Charlotte Gifford • 5h ago

A well-known computer brand has disabled the printers of customers using ink cartridges from rival companies.

Hewlett-Packard, or HP, has sparked fury after issuing a recent “firmware” update which blocks customers from using cheaper, non-HP ink cartridges in its printers.

Customers’ devices were remotely updated in line with new terms which mean their printers will not work unless they are fitted with approved ink cartridges.

It prevents customers from using any cartridges other than those fitted with an HP chip, which are often more expensive. If the customer tries to use a non-HP ink cartridge, the printer will refuse to print.

HP printers used to display a warning when a “third-party” ink cartridge was inserted, but now printers will simply refuse to print altogether.

<..snip..>

https://www.msn.com/en-us/lifestyle/lifestyle-buzz/hp-disables-customers-printers-if-they-use-ink-cartridges-from-cheaper-rivals/ar-AA1b3M4S?ocid=msedgntp&cvid=147ebd7c31f14087b5bb53f8d7b9ffb6&ei=45

Kamaji:
That's because HP essentially sells the printer itself either at cost, or at a loss, in order to make the profit up on the ink.  Take away the ink, and the printer business becomes unprofitable for HP.  This part of their business would probably be better characterized as an ink-selling business, with ink-using machines provided as an afterthought.

Fishrrman:
I quit using inkjet printers years ago.

These days, I use a Brother laser. Great printer.
Mine is b&w, but they have color, too.
(although few if any color lasers can match a good inkjet for color photo printing)

berdie:

--- Quote from: Kamaji on May 11, 2023, 09:53:43 pm ---That's because HP essentially sells the printer itself either at cost, or at a loss, in order to make the profit up on the ink.  Take away the ink, and the printer business becomes unprofitable for HP.  This part of their business would probably be better characterized as an ink-selling business, with ink-using machines provided as an afterthought.

--- End quote ---

Interesting. The biggest flaw I see, is  that other companies sell the cheap printers as well. A lot of people (at least 2 I know of) just trash the printer after a couple of cartridge replacements and buy a new one. Since I am a dinosaur that thinks things should last forever, lol, I just keep buying the replacement cartridges.

Bigun:

--- Quote from: Fishrrman on May 11, 2023, 10:01:42 pm ---I quit using inkjet printers years ago.

These days, I use a Brother laser. Great printer.
Mine is b&w, but they have color, too.
(although few if any color lasers can match a good inkjet for color photo printing)

--- End quote ---

I have an older Brother B&W laser printer that still works just fine.  The wife has a newer Brother color laser that is our network printer.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version