Author Topic: San Francisco may reverse math policy designed to improve equity after research showed it didn't wor  (Read 497 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
San Francisco may reverse math policy designed to improve equity after research showed it didn't work
JOHN SEXTON 1:00 PM on May 10, 2023

San Francisco may reverse math policy designed to improve equity after research showed it didn't work

I’ve written about this topic several times but the story continues to plod along through the San Francisco bureaucracy. Back in 2014 the city adopted a new and supposedly more equitable approach to math. The problem was that minority students were lagging white (and Asian) students in math. Prior to 2014 students were sent on one of two tracks. And advanced math track had students taking Algebra I in 8th grade while a slower track had other students waiting until the freshman year of high school to take that class. It was a slight difference but it meant that some kids were getting to Calculus in their senior year, giving them a leg up when applying to college. That was deemed inequitable.

So the new curriculum put in place in 2014 ended tracking and required that all students wait until 9th grade to take Algebra I. The idea was that by keeping students together longer, usually through 10th grade, the lower performing students would do better on math proficiency tests. And San Francisco went even further by forcing students who took Algebra I in private courses prior to high school to repeat the course anyway unless they could pass a difficult test to get out of it.

But there’s been an increasing amount of evidence that this de-tracking plan for math didn’t work. A group of academics at Stanford looked at the results and found the achievement gaps didn’t change.

https://hotair.com/john-s-2/2023/05/10/san-francisco-may-reverse-math-policy-designed-to-improve-equity-after-research-showed-it-didnt-work-n549871
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
It didn't work!!  No sh*t!!  Did global warming make it fail? :headbang:
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline DefiantMassRINO

They don't call it the "lowest common denominator" for nuthin'.

Self-Anointed Deplorable Expert Chowderhead Pundit

I reserve my God-given rights to be wrong and to be stupid at all times.
"If at first you don’t succeed, destroy all evidence that you tried." - Steven Wright

Offline Kamaji

They don't call it the "lowest common denominator" for nuthin'.

:thumbsup:

Offline PeteS in CA

So, after 9 years of hobbling students who dare to be achievers, SF Stupified might go back to what work best for students? *****rollingeyes*****
If, as anti-Covid-vaxxers claim, https://www.poynter.org/fact-checking/2021/robert-f-kennedy-jr-said-the-covid-19-vaccine-is-the-deadliest-vaccine-ever-made-thats-not-true/ , https://gospelnewsnetwork.org/2021/11/23/covid-shots-are-the-deadliest-vaccines-in-medical-history/ , The Vaccine is deadly, where in the US have Pfizer and Moderna hidden the millions of bodies of those who died of "vaccine injury"? Is reality a Big Pharma Shill?

Millions now living should have died. Anti-Covid-Vaxxer ghouls hardest hit.