Author Topic: Could a frozen ancient virus thawed by climate change cause the next pandemic?  (Read 251 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Could a frozen ancient virus thawed by climate change cause the next pandemic?
ABC RN /
By Sam Nichols for Future Tense
Posted Mon 8 May 2023 at 3:00pmMonday 8 May 2023 at 3:00pm

Climate change threatens human life in many ways but one of the less obvious could be a rise in pandemics.

A warming climate could release ancient pathogens, such as bacteria and viruses, that have been frozen in permafrost in the polar regions for millennia, Jean-Michel Claverie tells ABC RN's Future Tense.

"We know for certain that bacteria can remain dormant but alive for probably up to 500,000 years in permafrost. And so at that point, this is the very beginning of Homo sapiens. Our species was just emerging [at that time]," says the emeritus professor of medicine at France's Aix Marseille University.

Dr Claverie and his team of researchers recently published their findings on seven ancient viruses found in Siberia's permafrost. One was almost 50,000 years old and still infectious.

He says scientists don't yet know exactly how ancient diseases could impact living species today – animals or humans. In 2021, it was reported that more than 100 ancient strains of bacteria found in Siberia's permafrost were resistant to antibiotics.

The professor says that if an ancient disease – like a virus that was lethal for a woolly mammoth – did spread across the world, it could have dangerous implications for humans.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2023-05-09/ancient-viruses-climate-change-global-pandemic-risk/102277398
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
 OMGGGGGGG   Doomed by a Wooly Mammoth virus in the permafrost!! :scared smiley:
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
I'm a lot less worried about some virus thawing in the very sparsely populated arctic than I am a new virus being made in one of the labs Joe Biden just funded with our tax dollars in China.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Kamaji

I'm a lot less worried about some virus thawing in the very sparsely populated arctic than I am a new virus being made in one of the labs Joe Biden just funded with our tax dollars in China.

:thumbsup: