Author Topic: Human Rights Group Sues Philadelphia to End Unconstitutional Knife Ban  (Read 749 times)

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
 Ammoland Inc. Posted on May 9, 2023 by Doug Ritter   

Knife Rights has filed a federal lawsuit challenging the City of Philadelphia’s ban on the “use or possess(ion of) any cutting weapon upon the public streets or upon any public property at any time,” as well as within 100 ft. of any school. Joining Knife Rights in the case are Knife Rights members Keith Fetsurka and Scott Mele. They are represented by attorneys John W. Dillon at the Dillon Law Group and William Sack.

Named as defendants are Philadelphia Police Commissioner Danielle Outlaw and the City of Philadelphia. The lawsuit, Knife Rights, Inc. v. Outlaw, was filed in U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Pennsylvania. Click here to read the complaint.

In its complaint, the plaintiffs allege that the City’s ban is unconstitutional and said that “there can be no question that knives are “arms” protected under the plain text of the Second Amendment.… And indeed, the Supreme Court made clear in [NYSRPA v. Bruen] that the Second and Fourteenth Amendments protect the right to acquire, possess, and carry arms for self-defense and all other lawful purposes inside and outside the home.”

More: https://www.ammoland.com/2023/05/human-rights-group-sues-philadelphia-end-unconstitutional-knife-ban/#axzz81L0Pmo8P

Offline roamer_1

I have had a Schrade Uncle Henry Papa Bear - A 3 1/2" folding knife in my back pocket nearly all my life... I don't know how to function without that knife...

Not to even mention the 10" Bowie that is normally strapped to my side... and my sliver-gitter... and the Leatherman... All of them necessary to my every day life, other than the Bowie which I could do without if I ain't up in the woods... Though it is normally hard telling by the hour when I might be heading to the river or the woods.

How do people live with such a ridiculous law? How does something like that even get passed?
I GUARANTEE every mechanic has a pocket knife, stupid rule or not.

Offline verga

I have been teaching for going on 28 years in 3 States and 1 Commonwealth. I have carried a Leatherman (In a sheath)openly any/ or a Swiss Army knife that entire time. About 1/2 of my students carry a pocket knife of some sort.
In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
�More than any other time in history, mankind faces a crossroads. One path leads to despair and utter hopelessness. The other, to total extinction. Let us pray we have the wisdom to choose correctly.�-Woody Allen
If God invented marathons to keep people from doing anything more stupid, the triathlon must have taken him completely by surprise.

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
I always had a pocket knife starting in elementary school. Probably kindergarten as well. I was pretty good at mumblety-peg too.

Offline Sighlass

• Didn't vote for McCain Dole Romney Trump !
Hawkbill knife (Usually Case/Old Timer, Old Timer w/locking blade recently) carried for 50+ years. Heck, I had one in my pocket the day I married the misses. It is part of my countdown every night before bed when I check pocket inventory. I keep it somewhat sharp with a few stones I keep laying around, it will cut cardboard but not razor sharp (hit it a few licks on the stone couple times a week).

« Last Edit: May 11, 2023, 04:25:14 pm by Sighlass »
Exodus 18:21 Furthermore, you shall select out of all the people able men who fear God, men of truth, those who hate dishonest gain; and you shall place these over them as leaders over ....

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
This is the pocket knife I've carried more than any other.