Author Topic: Electric vehicle owner hit with $42,000 bill after minor fender bender: 'Something doesn't add up'  (Read 487 times)

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
WND By Lorri Wickenhauser, The Western Journal 5/9/2023

If you needed another reason to steer clear of electric vehicles, a recent social media post about the cost to repair one particular model might do the trick.

This story concerns the Rivian electric pickup truck, produced by a popular startup company whose customers have been known to wait up to three or four years for delivery of their new vehicle.

The Rivian R1T has a base price of $73,000.

In a recent Facebook post in a Rivian group, Chris Apfelstadt shared his experience with getting his EV repaired after a minor fender-bender.

"In early February, I was rear ended in my R1T," he wrote in the April 29 post. "No airbags went off and the collision was at a relatively low speed.

The final repair bill totaled more than $42,000.

"I figured the repair would be expensive but had no idea," Apfelstadt said.

The at-fault driver's insurance company had estimated the damage to his Rivian at $1,600 and sent him a check for that amount.

But the repair work, done at a Rivian-certified body shop, turned out to be more involved than Apfelstadt or the insurance company anticipated.

More: https://www.wnd.com/2023/05/electric-vehicle-owner-hit-42000-bill-minor-fender-bender-something-doesnt-add/

Offline Kamaji

Stupid is as stupid does.

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Stupid is as stupid does.

For some of these people, stupid would be a step up. :headbang:
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
Heh.
Did he ask for a written estimate first...?

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
The at-fault driver's liability insurance policy had a maximum limit of $50,000. The repairs and the cost of a rental car for him to use while his Rivian was being fixed just about exhausted that.

Online roamer_1

Heh.
Did he ask for a written estimate first...?

The word 'estimate' being on point: That is not a contract. That is an estimate, and the numbers mean nothing... and the signature on the bottom means nothing. An actual contract will not contain the word 'estimate' or anything like it.

THEN you have a fixed price.

Online DB

If that is the case, either no one will offer insurance for these vehicles or it will be offered at a very high price.