Author Topic: Trump's appeal in Carroll case hindered by legal trend from 1990s: Former prosecutor  (Read 392 times)

Offline libertybele

Trump's appeal in Carroll case hindered by legal trend from 1990s: Former prosecutor

Former President Trump and his lead attorney, Joseph Tacopina, signaled on Tuesday they are likely to appeal the civil liability ruling in the case brought by E. Jean Carroll, which Fox News contributor Andrew McCarthy doubted would succeed.

Trump was found liable for sexual abuse and defamation but not of Carroll's rape claim, which she alleged occurred at the Bergdorf Goodman department store across from Trump Tower in 1996.

Former assistant U.S. attorney Andrew McCarthy told Fox News many or most U.S. jurisdictions expanded the admissibility of "propensity evidence" in cases such as Trump's, which he said can hurt the former president's chances of a successful appeal..................

..............."The reason I think that testimony and the Access Hollywood tape is admissible -- and I might have agreed with [fellow attorney] Brian [Claypool] if this was like 1990, but beginning in the mid 1990s in sexual assault and molestation cases, the federal rules were expanded to make it easier to get what's known as ‘propensity evidence’ into cases involving sexual claims of sexual assault," McCarthy said. ................

.................He said the current legal climate has made it more difficult for courts to ignore such propensity evidence as the Bush exchange without taking it into account in their ruling-on-appeal.........

https://www.foxnews.com/media/trump-appeal-carroll-case-hindered-legal-trend-1990s-former-prosecutor
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline LMAO

What is the bar for being found guilty of sexual abuse but not rape? What’s the difference?
I have little interest in streamlining government or in making it more efficient, for I mean to reduce its size. I do not undertake to promote welfare, for I propose to extend freedom. My aim is not to pass laws, but to repeal them.

Barry Goldwater

http://www.usdebtclock.org

My Avatar is my adult autistic son Tommy

Offline Kamaji

What is the bar for being found guilty of sexual abuse but not rape? What’s the difference?

Since this was a civil case, not a criminal case, the NY penal laws may not be directly on point, but in general, "sexual abuse" involves so-called "sexual contact" without the other party's consent - which means "any touching of the sexual or other intimate parts of a person for the purpose of gratifying sexual desire of either party.  It includes the touching of the actor by the victim, as well as the touching of the victim by the actor, whether directly or through clothing, as well as the emission of ejaculate by the actor upon any part of the victim, clothed or unclothed."  NY Penal Law §130.00(3); §130.55.

Rape, in general, involves "sexual intercourse" without the other party's consent - which "has its ordinary meaning and occurs upon any
  penetration, however slight."  NY Penal Law §130.00(1); NY Penal Law §130.25.

So, in this case, the jury's decision would appear to indicate that they believed that the evidence demonstrated that Trump touched the sexual or other intimate parts of the plaintiff for the purpose of gratifying sexual desire, but that the touching did not involve penetration of the sexual organs.

If the evidence supports that finding of fact, then the finding that Trump defamed the plaintiff would also stand, since he publicly claimed that she lied about the entire event, not just about the claim of rape.