Author Topic: VERDICT returned in E. Jean Carroll defamation case v. Donald Trump  (Read 3309 times)

Offline Right_in_Virginia

Re: VERDICT returned in E. Jean Carroll defamation case v. Donald Trump
« Reply #25 on: May 09, 2023, 11:50:50 pm »
Greg Price
@greg_price11

Manhattan jury rejects E. Jean Carroll's claim that Donald Trump raped her.

Same Manhattan jury then finds Trump liable for defamation for saying that he didn't rape her.

🤪

3:46 PM · May 9, 2023

Offline LMAO

« Reply #26 on: May 10, 2023, 12:02:50 am »
What is the defamation of character that’s been alleged here?

And I’m not a lawyer, but don’t you have to show where the defamation of character caused harm?
I have little interest in streamlining government or in making it more efficient, for I mean to reduce its size. I do not undertake to promote welfare, for I propose to extend freedom. My aim is not to pass laws, but to repeal them.

Barry Goldwater

http://www.usdebtclock.org

My Avatar is my adult autistic son Tommy

Offline libertybele

« Reply #27 on: May 10, 2023, 12:51:54 am »

And I’m not a lawyer, but don’t you have to show where the defamation of character caused harm?

The trial was held in Manhattan where Trump isn't exactly the most popular guy.
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline Kamaji

« Reply #28 on: May 10, 2023, 09:07:10 am »

Certain types of defamation are considered per se harmful. 

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #29 on: May 10, 2023, 01:03:12 pm »
E. Jean Carroll’s Original Claims About Trump Were Absurd, But That Didn’t Stop The Media From Amplifying Them
By: Eddie Scarry
May 09, 2023
The Federalist
Since a jury in New York is now tasked with determining whether E. Jean Carroll really was raped by Donald Trump nearly three decades ago, it’s a good time to reflect on just how ridiculous her claim was when she originally made it in 2019.

But more critical than the 79-year-old magazine writer’s allegation that Trump assaulted her in a fitting room after the two noisily galavanted throughout a popular department store — a claim she made to promote a new book — is the absolute nonsense she said immediately after.

It’s pretty stunning to accuse a sitting president of rape but then not want to call it rape, which is exactly what Carroll did at the time. In an interview with The New York Times, “It was an episode. It was an action. It was a fight. It was not a crime. It was, I had a struggle with a guy.” She added in the same interview, “I am not — I have not been raped. Something has not been done to me. I fought. That’s the thing.”

If it were just some kind of coping mechanism, a self-empowerment move to omit the word from her vocabulary, it might make sense. But when asked in a separate interview on MSNBC whether she would consider attempting to press criminal charges against Trump, her answer was even more bizarre. She flatly said no, and when asked why, she said, “I would find it disrespectful to the women who are down on the border who are being raped around the clock down there without any protection … It would just be really disrespectful.”

If you’re not following, that’s okay. Carroll was simply saying that she wouldn’t seek charges against the man who allegedly raped her because she had too much compassion for illegal immigrants. Understand? ...
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #30 on: May 10, 2023, 01:16:54 pm »
Did anyone watch DJT's testimony?  When confronted about the "Grabbing the P" comment, he almost broke out in a grin.  50 years ago if comments came out to light, he'd be laughed off the stage even trying to be a serious candidate.

This is a despicable reprehensible POS, who has no moral authority to lead this nation.  Please lets move on.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline LMAO

« Reply #31 on: May 10, 2023, 01:40:16 pm »
Did anyone watch DJT's testimony?  When confronted about the "Grabbing the P" comment, he almost broke out in a grin.  50 years ago if comments came out to light, he'd be laughed off the stage even trying to be a serious candidate.

This is a despicable reprehensible POS, who has no moral authority to lead this nation.  Please lets move on.

That’s why in DNC headquarters, they  are praying that Donald Trump gets the nomination. He gives them lots of material.

Not that other Republicans would have it easy. It’s just Donald Trump makes their job easier than any other GOP candidate.
I have little interest in streamlining government or in making it more efficient, for I mean to reduce its size. I do not undertake to promote welfare, for I propose to extend freedom. My aim is not to pass laws, but to repeal them.

Barry Goldwater

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #32 on: May 10, 2023, 01:40:53 pm »

"Let he who is without sin cast the first stone!"

I have been guilty of locker room talk and I seriously doubt that I'm the only one here.
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Kamaji

« Reply #33 on: May 10, 2023, 01:41:42 pm »

That’s why in DNC headquarters, they  are praying that Donald Trump gets the nomination. He gives them lots of material.

Not that other Republicans would have it easy. It’s just Donald Trump makes their job easier than any other GOP candidate.

:thumbsup:

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #34 on: May 10, 2023, 01:48:13 pm »
"Let he who is without sin cast the first stone!"

I have been guilty of locker room talk and I seriously doubt that I'm the only one here.

Cast that stone. I've never said anything like that, and never would.   I think you'll be surprised how many don't participate in that kind of banter.  , and to that point.  What was with the near grin?  Is that who we want as POTUS?
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
« Reply #35 on: May 10, 2023, 02:09:22 pm »

LOL!    *****rollingeyes*****
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
« Reply #36 on: May 10, 2023, 02:11:09 pm »
Cast that stone. I've never said anything like that, and never would.   I think you'll be surprised how many don't participate in that kind of banter.  , and to that point.  What was with the near grin?  Is that who we want as POTUS?

You bet your smarmy azz we do, brother!    :laugh:   :patriot:
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #37 on: May 10, 2023, 02:17:28 pm »

I'm sorry @catfish1957 but I just do not believe that.
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline catfish1957

• Political Researcher
« Reply #38 on: May 10, 2023, 02:30:02 pm »
I'm sorry @catfish1957 but I just do not believe that.

Believe what you want.  Maybe its my southern upbringing to put women on a pedestal, especially those we are fond of.  I've never said anything near that vile.

I will call my politcal opponents like AOC a bitch, but would never refer to their genitals or other vile aspects.  OTOH, DJT almost smiles when refereing to his abiity to grab on them at will.  I will place my moral status against his in any forum or aspect of discussion.  I'm sorry, but the locker room banter you allude to, at least did not apply to me. 

« Reply #39 on: May 10, 2023, 02:41:08 pm »

To most people it looked like controlled rage.  This very selective clip from the deposition was pulled from the media loop ---- it was helping Trump.

There you go again, aghast and self-righteous over the normal response to yet another aggregious, fabricated charge literally paid for by Trump's political opposition. 

Get the difference between the target of political lawfare and the perpetrators before you demand we move on. 

« Reply #40 on: May 10, 2023, 02:47:40 pm »
Believe what you want.  Maybe its my southern upbringing to put women on a pedestal, especially those we are fond of.  I've never said anything near that vile.

I will call my politcal opponents like AOC a bitch, but would never refer to their genitals or other vile aspects.  OTOH, DJT almost smiles when refereing to his abiity to grab on them at will.  I will place my moral status against his in any forum or aspect of discussion.  I'm sorry, but the locker room banter you allude to, at least did not apply to me.

If you really want the moral high ground you think you deserve, first you need to stop lying about what was said in the locker room quote.

Offline Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
« Reply #41 on: May 10, 2023, 02:52:38 pm »
Is a half grin enough to disqualify someone from President? Not really for me. Heh, in 2016 I basically voted Trump for spite, and if I have to do it again I will.

Trump was being surreptitiously recorded I believe... there's really nothing you've ever said in your private life you wouldn't be embarrassed about?

To me, these people are all scum (E Jean, Lincoln Project etc.) so bleep 'em.

Offline LMAO

« Reply #42 on: May 10, 2023, 02:58:52 pm »
Is a half grin enough to disqualify someone from President? Not really for me. Heh, in 2016 I basically voted Trump for spite, and if I have to do it again I will.

Trump was being surreptitiously recorded I believe... there's really nothing you've ever said in your private life you wouldn't be embarrassed about?

To me, these people are all scum (E Jean, Lincoln Project etc.) so bleep 'em.

Donald Trump has 20 some claims of sexual impropriety made against him. I understand everybody is innocent till proven guilty and there’s no way to prove that any of these happened but are all these women lying and Donald Trump is the honest one here?

If you listen to the tape, it reveals a character issue that Donald Trump has, and that is his belief that his fame and fortune allows him to dominate women. It’s the same trait that Bill Clinton had.

And I think that’s what ultimately hurt him in this case

But I will agree with you that it was a low move to record him without his knowledge, and then release it to the public
« Last Edit: May 10, 2023, 03:06:18 pm by LMAO »

Barry Goldwater

Offline catfish1957

• Political Researcher
« Reply #43 on: May 10, 2023, 03:03:47 pm »
If you really want the moral high ground you think you deserve, first you need to stop lying about what was said in the locker room quote.

So just what Trump said in the "Grabbing the P" testimony was a lie or a distortion?  I didn't hear a denial.... 

I'm all ears, and dying to hear your interpretation.

• Technical
« Reply #44 on: May 10, 2023, 03:06:18 pm »
Donald Trump has 20 some claims of sexual impropriety made against him. I understand everybody is innocent till proven guilty and there’s no way to prove that any of these happened but are all these women lying and Donald Trump is the honest one here?

If you listen to the tape, it reveals a character issue that Donald Trump has, and that is his belief that his fame and fortune allows him to dominate women. It’s the same trait that Bill Clinton had.

And I think that’s what ultimately hurt him in this case

I don't think it's news to anyone with a working brain that Trump has never been able to keep it in his pants.

« Reply #45 on: May 10, 2023, 03:10:53 pm »
DC_Draino
@DC_Draino

Did you know?

The statue of limitations for sexual assault in NY is typically 5-7 years

New York even has a 20 year period for civil claims of sexual assault

But that wasn’t enough to get Trump - Jean Carroll’s claims go back to the mid 90s

So NY amended the law in 2022 to provide unlimited statue of limitations for civil claims of sexual assault and provided a 1 year window where preexisting claims could be litigated

That’s where Jean Carroll comes in

Funded by a Democrat activist, she filed her claim against Trump in that limited window and even a liberal New York jury wouldn’t find Trump liable for rape

People paying attention know what this truly is

Another political attack to try and harm Trump before the 2024 election

https://forbes.com/sites/douglaswigdor/2022/05/25/statute-of-limitations-on-sexual-assault-eliminated-for-one-year-in-new-york-following-passage-of-the-adult-survivors-act/?sh=3561bae846fd

8:10 AM · May 10, 2023

Offline LMAO

« Reply #46 on: May 10, 2023, 03:12:58 pm »
I don't think it's news to anyone with a working brain that Trump has never been able to keep it in his pants.

That is true

The problem when someone accuses somebody of rape, or sexual harassment, it’s really hard to prove without solid evidence. So then what people do is they tend to get into their political corners, when deciding guilt or innocence.

Barry Goldwater

• Technical
« Reply #47 on: May 10, 2023, 03:15:02 pm »
That is true

The problem when someone accuses somebody of rape, or sexual harassment, it’s really hard to prove without solid evidence. So then what people do is they tend to get into their political corners, when deciding guilt or innocence.

It's a he said/she said situation. I look at this woman's body language and history and I see a total nutbag, personally. Trump is absolutely a dog, but IMO he's not a rapist, in the middle of a Dept. store, in the mid-90's. But I wasn't there, so I could be wrong, but I don't think any of us were there were we?

Offline cato potatoe

« Reply #48 on: May 10, 2023, 03:17:32 pm »
Is there any reason why Trump did not defend himself, with so much on the line?  The jury was allowed to draw a negative inference in light of his absence.  I bet his attorneys concluded Trump would make it worse for himself … just a nightmare client.   At this point, he’s the courtroom version of the Washington Generals.

Offline Kamaji

« Reply #49 on: May 10, 2023, 03:18:09 pm »
DC_Draino
@DC_Draino

Did you know?

The statue of limitations for sexual assault in NY is typically 5-7 years

New York even has a 20 year period for civil claims of sexual assault

But that wasn’t enough to get Trump - Jean Carroll’s claims go back to the mid 90s

So NY amended the law in 2022 to provide unlimited statue of limitations for civil claims of sexual assault and provided a 1 year window where preexisting claims could be litigated

That’s where Jean Carroll comes in

Funded by a Democrat activist, she filed her claim against Trump in that limited window and even a liberal New York jury wouldn’t find Trump liable for rape

People paying attention know what this truly is

Another political attack to try and harm Trump before the 2024 election

https://forbes.com/sites/douglaswigdor/2022/05/25/statute-of-limitations-on-sexual-assault-eliminated-for-one-year-in-new-york-following-passage-of-the-adult-survivors-act/?sh=3561bae846fd

8:10 AM · May 10, 2023

Whinging on about the statute of limitations is rather small beer; it doesn't defend Mr. Trump against the underlying allegations.